Old 01-15-2020, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Too many irons in the fire

I am currently paying for chrome work ,bodywork, and the transmission.i am thinking about diverting money that I am spending on the trans and making minimum payments on it cause it doesn’t seem to me like a good idea to have a beautiful paint and chrome with nothing to put in it.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sympathies.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:48 AM
Suspended

Been there, done that. Welcome to the car restoration world. Budget? What budget.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep. I have my car coming out of paint and engine completion at the same time. Plus taxes coming up shortly. Perfect storm. At least the engine is already 75% paid for.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like what you're thinking is going to cause what you don't want to happen.

Good chef knows how to cook a big meal where everything gets done at the same time.

Clay

Old 01-15-2020, 04:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I am currently paying for chrome work ,bodywork, and the transmission.i am thinking about diverting money that I am spending on the trans and making minimum payments on it cause it doesn’t seem to me like a good idea to have a beautiful paint and chrome with nothing to put in it.
That's the rub. DIY or pay through the nose. I'd even do my own chrome if I didn't think I'd turn my property into a superfund site!

Old 01-15-2020, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

You're in need vs want land. Needs come before wants.

Isn't this car supposed to end up as your daily driver? Seems to me, it would be hard to drive a car without a transmission. But just look at that chrome!

If it was me, I'd be prioritizing the things that actually get the car running and driving.

Old 01-15-2020, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I prefer getting the drivetrain sorted before I start throwing money at the body unless I have enough to do it all at once. Otherwise it's a very expensive piece of art. Then all you can do is tow it to shows and keep the hood closed.

Old 01-17-2020, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The painter does not want the engine in the car cause he is doing the firewall. I want to get the car back totally assembled so I can just wire it up and put in the interior. I have no talent for body work. The body is almost ready to paint but it will be slow because I am making monthly payment

Old 01-17-2020, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
That's the rub. DIY or pay through the nose. I'd even do my own chrome if I didn't think I'd turn my property into a superfund site!
bingo

I like my car to be worth more than I have in it from day one.

Old 01-17-2020, 10:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My projects are drivers also. I don't want the high end (dollar) show car paint job. I am working on the drive train and mechanicals to make the car safe and driveable. That way, if I get bogged down on the trim, paint, interior, and minor details, I can still drive them instead of wallowing in a funk in front of the TV.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 01-17-2020, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooski View Post
My projects are drivers also. I don't want the high end (dollar) show car paint job. I am working on the drive train and mechanicals to make the car safe and driveable. That way, if I get bogged down on the trim, paint, interior, and minor details, I can still drive them instead of wallowing in a funk in front of the TV.
wallowing in a funk...…….lol, dig it!

that's good stuff!

Old 01-18-2020, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm so glad I'm able to do my body,paint and engine myself or I couldn't afford it with all my stupid work Insurances lol. Currently waiting for my torque plate to come in the mail so my block can go to the machine shop. Just finished up my th400 last week. Kit was 300. Plus the convertor.

Old 01-18-2020, 10:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post

Isn't this car supposed to end up as your daily driver? Seems to me, it would be hard to drive a car without a transmission. But just look at that chrome!

If it was me, I'd be prioritizing the things that actually get the car running and driving.
THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Old 01-18-2020, 11:29 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

ALSO AGREE, THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been working on the 64 for many years collecting parts to make it the way I want it. Not original by any means. I have since 1964 to enjoy that production system. Today I want Modern Systems in a car that looks totally stock if I do not open the Hood or the vehicle is going down the road.

455 engine, Doug Nash Trans, 9" Ford Rear, BETTER BRAKES/STEERING/SAFER SEATS. But I collected a lot of those parts over the 50+ years.

Only in the last 6 months have I added "labor" to the majority of the parts collected.
(The work was done by ONE SHOP.)

Not finished yet but I only have to deal with one area of the car work at a time. Much easier to figure the work vs cash needed in that method.

JMO

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-18-2020, 01:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Key Deal though is that YOU ARE WORKING ON THE CAR! GOOD JOB!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-18-2020, 03:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As Dabo Swinney says “perfection is the standard” I will drive this car everyday but I want to be at car shows and open the hood and hear people say holy s h I t. Attention to detail is very mportant to me but I have put my touches on it. I have the machine turned GTO bezel AMD speakers in the vent panels also have speakers for the package tray. I want people to look in at the interior and see the big 5 speed shifter standing proudly in front of the bench all surrounded by the factory radio playing songs off my iPhone. Then their is the big honking 9 inch out back with the aluminum center section with 3.70 gears. Interior and exterior appear as new in factory colors

Old 01-18-2020, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It may be a little late to help you but my dad always told me “Plan your work, then work your plan.”

Best wishes
Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 01-18-2020, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
... but I want to ...
I want people to ...

Old 01-19-2020, 10:05 AM
Boost Engineer

Do WHATEVER make you happy.

Tom V.