THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Parts search help needed. Looking for G.M. part numbers.

Good morning all, I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado K1500 ½ ton 4X4 pickup truck. Engine is a 5.0 liter (305 cubic inch) w/ a 4L60E automatic transmission. I am in need of some replacement transmission cooler lines/pipes/tubes, etc. All the G.M. dealers, stores, parts suppliers around here no longer have the G.M. parts numbers available for my 95. Dorman offers replacement lines but I have heard poor fitting and multiple leaks with them so I want to go with factory originals or perhaps Inline Tube lines if I cannot come up with G.M. parts. If anyone has a parts source for the mid 90’s G.M. trucks could you post or PM me the factory part numbers, dealers around here said they are probably on the shelf somewhere but need a part number to do the search. Thank You.

Tim john---

Old 01-17-2020, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb

These are readily available....

Per https://www.gmpartsonline.net:

Outlet Hose - GM (15982923)

Inlet Hose - GM (15990062)

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 01-17-2020, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank You but those are unlike what I have, no flex line/hose on the originals. Mine are hard line from the radiator all the way to the transmission. Those appear to be for a newer model but maybe they are a universal line ? I see online in photos Inline Tube offers a full hard line and they visually appear to match my factory ones.

Hmm, I went in to the link you provided and it says they will fit my application. Thank You for providing this. I'm on it !

Tim

Last edited by Tim john; 01-17-2020 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-17-2020, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are not service replacement parts on that vehicle. Any GM parts guy should be able to figure that out.
Have to make them from scratch.
We use S.U.R.& R. Ultra Bend tubing and fittings in our shop.
Can buy different lengths already flared with fittings, and pretty much bend by hand.
Done 100's of brake and trany lines over the years with no come backs.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 01-17-2020, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
They are not service replacement parts on that vehicle. Any GM parts guy should be able to figure that out.
Have to make them from scratch..
Interesting..

I have bought and installed several sets of these on GMT400 and GMT800 platform trucks, Tahoes, and Suburbans. Always bought them straight from GM. Also goes for the brake line sets. GM sold a complete set for the entire vehicle. They fit perfect..

As for the design change to part hard pipe, part flexible hose, there might have been a reason for this. There is a fair amount of movement of the radiator support, so the hard lines might have been fatiguing. To this very day, GM trucks use a similar design. They do seep from the crimps over time.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 01-17-2020, 04:53 PM

I think Region Warrior is on to something...

Looks like part 12541500 is listed for both the upper and lower lines for 93-95 applications. But, this translates to "bulk 5/16 cold rolled tube". While the picture on gmpartsdirect.com isn't really representative, it does have the same description. Part 09440044 (2 needed per line) is also listed as 1/2-20 flare nuts for 5/16 tube.

It appears the intent was to bend up replacements as-needed rather than having pre-bent parts in stock?

I think the line set Canamman is showing goes to an optional transmission oil cooler that wasn't used on 5.0 applications? The ones I reference are the ones that go directly between the transmission and the radiator.

I know I've seen flexible portions of these lines on 2003 and 2004 GM truck applications. But, I believe I remember solid lines being installed in older passenger car automatic applications (Firebirds, Bonnevilles, etc). I'd agree it would seem like having some way for the lines to move a bit would be beneficial. But, it also seems like GM has a LOT of historical applications with solid lines that worked just fine, too.

Last edited by 81TTA; 01-17-2020 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^Correct^
Some models never had pre-made lines.
The GM parts catalog shows service with 5/16" coiled steel (25FT).
Fittings are serviced separately.

Brake lines where same deal back then. 25' coils.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100

Last edited by Region Warrior; 01-17-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I went through this on my 1993 K3500 about 3 years ago, cooling lines rusted through. I just bought a 25 ft X 5/16 inch roll of Nicopp (Nickle/Copper) and bent them using the old lines for a pattern. The Nicopp is much easier to bend than the steel line, and double flare can be accomplished with a standard flaring tool. The Nicopp will never corrode so it's the last time you'll have to replace the lines.

When I got the truck 10 years ago the PO had just replaced the rear brake lines with new steel lines, they lasted about 5 years before rusting through, so I looked into something more durable and found the Nicopp material. I like Mike, used steel lines for years as a mechanic, but no more, the Nicopp is more expensive, but well worth the extra cost to be impervious to salt and brine used here for snow.

I also replaced every brake line on the truck a few months before the cooling lines took a dump. The lines will outlast me now.......LOL.

Since I live in the salt belt, from now on every line I replace, I will use Nicopp.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 01-20-2020, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Fella's

I can bend up just about anything up to and including 1" and have all the Imperial Eastman and Parker tools to do so but thought for time savings in the middle of winter remove and replace was the most efficient use of time. I'll look into the Nicopp tubing and go from there. Thank You all.

Tim