Old 03-24-2003, 11:04 AM

I have a 1969 GTO with an automatic transmission. Presently I am having problems with the neutral safety/backup lights switch, the lights do not work and the car will start in any gear. The car is stock except for a 2500 stall torque converter, so I know that the transmission has previously been removed. I have located the switch on the steering column and it is connected and appears to be intact. I don't understand how the switch works, is there a connecting rod from the transmission to the steering column? If there is that maybe my problem, because there is nothing on my car. I see the place on the column and
the linkage on the transmission, but I am not sure if these are there for column shift cars or if this linkage is suppose to be there for the neutral safety switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-24-2003, 11:04 AM

I have a 1969 GTO with an automatic transmission. Presently I am having problems with the neutral safety/backup lights switch, the lights do not work and the car will start in any gear. The car is stock except for a 2500 stall torque converter, so I know that the transmission has previously been removed. I have located the switch on the steering column and it is connected and appears to be intact. I don't understand how the switch works, is there a connecting rod from the transmission to the steering column? If there is that maybe my problem, because there is nothing on my car. I see the place on the column and
the linkage on the transmission, but I am not sure if these are there for column shift cars or if this linkage is suppose to be there for the neutral safety switch.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trix15:
is there a connecting rod from the transmission to the steering column? If there is that maybe my problem, <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, there should be a rod going from the trans to the sterring column. If it is not there the switch cannot be actuated.

"Suppose you were an idiot... And suppose you were a member of Congress... seems I repeated myself." --Mark Twain

Old 03-24-2003, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you move your shifter from park to drive you will see the coller on the steering column turn if everything is hooked up correctly. It sounds like pieces are missing on your car. The rods that move the column are the same for all the 69 GTO's be it auto or 4-speed, but a Lemans or Tempest will have the same pieces also. When I did my car Year One was the only parts place that had all the hardware to hook it all up. PY may carry this stuff now. Need more info let me know. Jim

Old 03-24-2003, 08:00 PM

I dont know about the goats but in a 69 bird if you run headers you cant have that rod in.

Old 03-25-2003, 10:48 PM

Thanks for all of the info. My car does presently have headers so that may be the issue. Now I am on the right track at least.

Old 03-26-2003, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey man I'm to your rescue. Assuming your automatic you need a rod and some gramits.

Here is a pic
Your body of the car must have a bracket ( seen in picture ) that supports the rod.

The horizontal rode which goes into the hole within the bracket also has a 90 degree angle in it. The reason: It fits in the transmission gear selector down at the tranny on the left hand side.

There is another rod that connects to this horizontal rod. It is adjustable by screw and goes up near the brake booster to a little round braket with a hole in it.

This is where the gramit is needed so it fits in the hole and of course a "coder" pin to hold it in place.

Thus this bar moves when you move your gear selector. Like the fellow previous wrote. That in turn pushes the rod which is attached to the body bracket down below which in turn moves the transmission gear selector.

A wonderful 1969 thinking there. Beautiful.

With hooker headers it works.

Excuse my spelling and if you need a # where to buy a new one I think I have it archived. The seller is in texas I think $30 US.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stcollinkage.jpg (48.7 KB, 270 views)

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 03-27-2003, 09:27 AM

Kyle,

Thanks for the photo everything is much clearer now! I have looked at your rearend photos and it is nothing like my rearend. I also found a site that has olds rearend pictures and data and nothing looks similar there either. Like one person posted it maybe a Buick rearend. If I find any interesting sites I will send them to you.

Thanks again.