Old 03-20-2003, 08:51 AM

I am heading back to NJ this weekend, so I need to stock up on some parts. What is the deal with boxed control arms? Should I buy the inserts for the existing arms, or is it really that much better to just buy new ones altogether? What is the cost of the inserts vs. the new arms? I just completed a front suspension re-build and tire replacement, and I was amazed at the handling difference... And what about a rear sway bar, I have heard it can make a big difference on a convertible? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Thanks to all of you who helped out with my oil leak, I was able to seal the gasket with silicon to solve the problem

Old 03-20-2003, 08:51 AM

I am heading back to NJ this weekend, so I need to stock up on some parts. What is the deal with boxed control arms? Should I buy the inserts for the existing arms, or is it really that much better to just buy new ones altogether? What is the cost of the inserts vs. the new arms? I just completed a front suspension re-build and tire replacement, and I was amazed at the handling difference... And what about a rear sway bar, I have heard it can make a big difference on a convertible? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Thanks to all of you who helped out with my oil leak, I was able to seal the gasket with silicon to solve the problem

Old 03-20-2003, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used BMR Fabrication on my 69. I also used their rear sway bar kit. Reasonable price, good fit, and they look great.

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/DavidJones69GTO.html

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 03-20-2003, 11:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used the insert kit and installed a new rear sway bar at the same time. Cheaper than fabricated arms. It did stiffen up the rear of the car. Really changed how it handles. Should have done it a long time ago.

Old 03-20-2003, 03:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

Jeff,if memory serves me right the insert kits for the boxed control arms are around $38.00.By the time you have them welded in and the holes drilled for the control arm bolts you may be looking at $25-&50.00 more for labor unless you can do the welding and drilling yourself?Total of around $75.00- $100.00.If you have the control arms sandblasted & painted and new bushing put in it can get more expensive and be worth it to buy the new boxed control arms!
Other wise a set of new boxed control arms are over $200.00

GTO.....Gran Turismo Omologato,True Pontiac Excitement!

Old 03-20-2003, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shouldn't have to drill the holes for the swaybar holes on B-O-P A-body lower arms.

In all the rearends I've pulled, & frames we've processed, the lower contol arms w/o holes drilled in them have all come out Chevelles, Monte's, & Elcamino's.

Old 03-20-2003, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the info, anyone know a good place to pick up inserts and a rear sway bar in the Northern NJ area?

Jeff

Old 03-21-2003, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Boxing the rear control arms yourself isn't that big a deal. I used thick wall steel tubing with an I.D. same as the bolts for the swaybar, drilled the holes in the arms for the tubes to fit, and welded them in. Then I took 1/8" steel plate and welded it across the bottom of the stock arms to box them in. Added eurethane bushings while I had it apart.
I welded a set of those aftermarket spacers in a friend's lower control arms. Wasn't too impressed. The stamping and bending was a bit sloppy.

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 03-22-2003, 05:10 PM

Bought a complete kit - front & rear - from the Goat Garage - http://www.goatsgarage.com/
included boxing inserts. Looking forward to getting it out on the road.