Old 03-22-2003, 09:49 PM

Does anyone know the easiest way to remove a 69 dash,gauges,heat/ac control and all that good stuff. i have unbolted everything from below but I dont have a clue what to do next. Please help Mike

Old 03-22-2003, 09:49 PM

Does anyone know the easiest way to remove a 69 dash,gauges,heat/ac control and all that good stuff. i have unbolted everything from below but I dont have a clue what to do next. Please help Mike

Old 03-22-2003, 10:30 PM

Mike,
It is pretty easy. If everything has been removed in the area of the lower AC duct work then remove these items.
Three speed nuts above the glove box. You will need to remove the glovebox to get to them. From there you can remove the cables running from the AC controls to the fire wall.

From there move to under the steering column and remove the bolts under it that hold the dash in place. Don't mistake these for the ones that hold up the column itself. There will also be one under the headlight switch.

Disconect the wires to the radio, headlight switch, wiper switch, and lighter.

Drop the column by removing the two bolts that hold it in place and make sure to support it so it won't hang under its own weight. There are three screws that need to be removed. There is one in each gauge/clock or tach pod.

Once these items are removed you should be able to slide/lift it out.

Best of luck.

Unchained.

1963 Lemans
1965 Catalina 2+2
1968 GTO
1969 Lemans OHC6
1972 Formula
1974 GTO
1986 Grand Prix 2+2
1986 Fiero SE
2005 Bonneville GXP
Old 03-22-2003, 10:56 PM

Thnaks for the quick reply..very helpful...I had most of the bolts removed but I wasn't sure about the steering column, guages or the which wires to disconnect..Thanks again Mike

Old 03-23-2003, 06:29 PM
Administrator

An additional topic that refers to the 70-72 pad, but removing the 69 pad is much the same.

http://forums.performanceyears.com/g...1&m=5696070911

---------------------------
Fool around, Get hurt, don't come crying to me.

Old 03-23-2003, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just got done removing my in dash tach in the 72. Its about a 2 hour jog round trip.

Old 03-24-2003, 03:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Are'nt there also some clip-type deals along the leading edge of the dash, just below the windshield that you need to bend out straight before you can pull the dash? Located up inside where you cant get at them until you have the glove box, heater and all the other guts taken out first...

Sorry it has been a LONG time since i had the dash in the car or even looked up in that area. I may be thinking of a totally different vehicle.

"Nothing Beats an Ol' Goat..."

Old 03-24-2003, 09:08 PM
Administrator

There are clips, but you just pull the dash forward away from the windshield to release the pad from the clips.

---------------------------
Fool around, Get hurt, don't come crying to me.

Old 03-25-2003, 07:55 AM

Thanks For all the help guys! I am a new member and new owner of a 69 GTO!...I had been looking for one for years...Funny thing...My girlfriend found one sitting a someones backyard(while house hunting) less then a mile away??????...I approached the owner and asked if he might be interested in selling?..To my surprise..He had planned to run an ad in the local paper that very next wekend...I Bought it on the spot!..Numbers matching car, needed some body work but has great drive train..Runs great...Thanks again guys...A pleasure Ya'll...Mike in South Georgia

Old 03-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to 1-GTO

Welcome to PY Stealer36...! I love those '69 GTO's!
When I took the dash out of my car I dropped the steering column,it was easier to get the dash,but may not be necessary in your case?

GTO.....Gran Turismo Omologato,True Pontiac Excitement!