Old 03-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello. New to this forum as I have just purchased a 68 GTO Hardtop. This is for a project that me and my youngest duaghter can work on so we can do the bonding thing and I can help keep her busy (and yes me also). This was a rare find here since I live in Alaska. The car does have some rust, no major body damage, all glass it in tact, the engine is out, a 400. All of the front (hood, fenders, grill etc) is off. I do not know at this time alot about it as I seen it, said immediately that I would buy it ($1200 - could not go wrong) I will load it up on a trailer this coming Saturday and bring it home. With all that said.... I am looking for some recommendations here on basically where to start and what to do. I am thinking taking it all the way down to the frame, sand blast the frame and build back up one step at a time. Looking for some insite on disassembly right now, should I take all the glass out? Will the cassey be relatively easy to dissasemble? etc etc. I know this is a open ened question but just looking for some info from people that have done this. Also a good place to buy parts as I will be limited from buying here in Alaska, shipping will kill me but I am willing. Any info will be greatly appriciated. and a good restore/reference book.

Thanks,

Bill

It is not a problem.... It is just a blood pressure monitor.
Old 03-27-2003, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello. New to this forum as I have just purchased a 68 GTO Hardtop. This is for a project that me and my youngest duaghter can work on so we can do the bonding thing and I can help keep her busy (and yes me also). This was a rare find here since I live in Alaska. The car does have some rust, no major body damage, all glass it in tact, the engine is out, a 400. All of the front (hood, fenders, grill etc) is off. I do not know at this time alot about it as I seen it, said immediately that I would buy it ($1200 - could not go wrong) I will load it up on a trailer this coming Saturday and bring it home. With all that said.... I am looking for some recommendations here on basically where to start and what to do. I am thinking taking it all the way down to the frame, sand blast the frame and build back up one step at a time. Looking for some insite on disassembly right now, should I take all the glass out? Will the cassey be relatively easy to dissasemble? etc etc. I know this is a open ened question but just looking for some info from people that have done this. Also a good place to buy parts as I will be limited from buying here in Alaska, shipping will kill me but I am willing. Any info will be greatly appriciated. and a good restore/reference book.

Thanks,

Bill

Old 03-27-2003, 11:53 AM

You can't go wrong dealing with Performance Years,they have parts and the manuals you will need.i.e assembly manual.Good luck.John.

Old 03-27-2003, 03:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would get both the '68 Pontiac shop manual and the GTO restoration guide. The service manual will help you take the car apart and put it back together, the resto guide is a good reference in case the car is missing something or if you want to change something.

Performance Years has both books. The shop manual costs about $39 and the resto guide is $28. Have them throw in a catalog, too. PY is an excellent source for parts and there is plenty of help here on these boards. Just ask!

Oh yeah, I might add that I'd get the books before you start taking anything apart. It's easier to do if you understand what you're getting yourself into.

Welcome to the hobby!

Old 03-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you don't already have one, buy a good digital camera and take pictures of every step of the process. A good picture can save you hours of trying to remember how everything was put together or wired. Not to mention the pictures will help you to document everything you have done to the car for a restoration photo album and in case you sell it someday.

Old 03-27-2003, 10:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with RicksGTO. Lot's of pictures . Also get some baggies and boxes and label everything you take off, unless you know how it goes back together. I even used masking tape to tape bolts in the wholes they came out of. Also used a box of old business card to write notes on and put it right in the bag. If wiring is in good shape, try to keep it original. I try to keep all original part, yeah you can get aftermarket, but it's not all great. PY sells the best stuff on the market, but it is only as good and the mfg who made it. I did my first 68 by just striping off the front clip down to the frame. To me the only reason to go full frame off is if you’re going to make a concourse show car out of it . If it's just going to be a daily driver and you can fix any body damage on the frame, why spend the money. It may only be 6 bolts, but it's a big can of worms to open . The body then needs to be completely redone which means stripping everything out and building it back from the ground up. Now I am not saying that's not fun, I did my 2nd 68 that way, it's just quite a lot of work. This is the place to ask question, there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum (not necessarily including myself mind you )

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection) Jax.GTO@gte.net
Motto: Build it for NASA and drive it like you stole it!

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 03-29-2003, 06:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Welcome to the hobby. I am mid-way through my second year of my first restoration (started in June 2002) and several more years to go. From what I have learned, pictures have saved me. Being digital there aren't fees for processing so dont be shy with the shutter button. Take pics from all sides and various angles, if you are lucky to have a digital camera that can record a 30-second or so memo for each pic use that feature. Can also document the process in a log book. Written notes will come in handy to refer back to plus it will be part of the vehicles history. Along with a pic, baggies and a Sharpie are a must. Document on the baggie what/where the nut/bolt/screw came from. Perhaps number the baggie and in the log book write a memo corresponding with the number.

Some people restore the part they take off, wrap it when completed and place it in a box before moving on to the next part. This is slow, but when the body work and painting is complete all the car will come back together much faster. I sort of a follow this regiment, but not religously. While I wait for repair panels to come in or funds to build up I will work on smaller components. It keeps me interested in the project and the feeling of accomplishment. Actually, a spare bedroom in my house has become a storage room of retored parts. If the stainless steel trim is all intact they can be removed and buffed/shined at a later date when "real" work can't be done. Plastic pieces such as the glove box insert, dash gauge bezel, kick panels, door panel arm rests can be cleaned and painted to like-new condition. Check out Eastwood for product called Plastic Prep (Item 38353) and Sand Free (Item 38363) for restoring plastic components. I can show you some before and after pics of my kick panels if you wish.

Something I have recently started doing is purchasing as many (if not all) the smaller components/parts I can that is needed as I complete the restoration of a part. For example, I restored the housing to my wiper motor, so for it I bought a new washer pump, hoses that run between it and washer bottle and a mounting kit. I place all of these in a box that way everything is together and can be easily found when ready for installation. This way I can purchase the new pieces I need and the impact on the wallet does not seem so bad.

Unfortunately it appears by the description of the vehicle someone already started to dismantle/restore it. Bolts, shims, washers may have been lost, that is where the Resotration Guide and the purchase of the Shop Manual CD comes in handy.

There is a wealth of information on this forum and very friendly and helpful folks. Request a catalog from PY. I would suggest that you stay away from JC Whitney or the like that does not specialize in one vehicle make/model. They wont have the knowledge or expertise. PY (and other GTO-only restoration part suupliers) own GTOs, LeMans, so they do indeed have the knowledge. Not sure if you will get a catalog from PY though, I have been waiting for about two months now and pretty much gave up waiting. PY also has an online catalog, but page turning a printed catalog is much more pleasant.

Anyway, I can ramble on some more, but the whole idea is to document document document. Take your time and have fun!

Darryl

1969 GTO Restoration

Old 03-29-2003, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well...... I got my car today HoooWhaaa as I used to say in the Army. Loaded it up on a trailer hauled the car home then went back for the engine and other parts such as the hood and front finders etc. All the pieces are in my garage now so I am happy. It is not pretty but it is mine. After I brought it home I relalized there is alot more rust then I though, Alot of paint chiiping to the bare metal and alot of holes and rust out. Looks like I will have to pull the whole thing apart as the floor boards are rusing through etc.

Should I try and just buy all replacement parts for the hood and finder and doors and panels etc or send out to a body shop??? I am in no way a body fixer. This is a whole new area for me. It is in pretty bad shape but want to do what is right and what will last, I know this will cost alot especially shipping, but am willing. As I have no choice and no resources here in Alaska for parts.

I have purchased the Restoration Guide 64-72 2nd edition which came in the mail today and have ordered the manual on the CD and have a Year One parts catalog and have requested a PY catalog as well.

From the picture included below (I hope) what would you pro's reccomend that I start with??? I am thinking rip out the interior, which the seats are already undone etc, then the tranny and underneath etc etc. I am wanting to take it to the frame and do a frame off rebuild but am not sure if I really need to or even should attempt something so big as I am a novice at this hobby.

I was given a $10.000 allowance to do this (Yes from my wife and no I do not wear the pants, she does that includes the purchase price of $1200 so I have $8800 left, I think and HOPE it can be done with this.

So to shut up now I want to thank all of the great folks that have replied to this post as it was great info and I have put it all to use.

ANY and ALL info is greatly appriciated.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	On_Trailer10.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	7744  

Old 03-29-2003, 11:46 PM

Hmm..

That budget should get you about 1/2 way..

Jest Kidding!! Good luck. You are a better man than I.

Restoring my '69 GTO scares the crap outta me.

Should I take a car that drives and looks and runs great (about an 7.5 out of 10) and submit it to my Attention Deficit Disorder brain, and not be able to drive it for 2, 3 or more years?

Until I make my first million dollars (I forecast around the year 2072) I don't have the intestinal fortitude to undertake such an undertaking.

But it shure looks like fun!!!

THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES 14-0 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Old 03-30-2003, 01:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Wow, that looks almost like the car I started with! I bet yours don't have an ant colony living in the floor boards..

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection) Jax.GTO@gte.net
Motto: Build it for NASA and drive it like you stole it!

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 03-30-2003, 04:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

First off, good luck on the restoration !!!

Your budget will depend on how many parts are missing, the condition of the parts you do have, etc.. I can tell you that I spent over double that amount restoring my 70 Judge. But I was missing a lot of parts and had to replace the entire interior.

Do as much of the work yourself as possible. If you are a novice at body work pick up some books, read and study the topic. Doing things yourself will help save a ton of money!

I used Zip Lock bags to store parts I took off and labeled them as I went along. I took over 500 digital pictures, then catagorized them on my hard drive so I could refer to them later.

Get a copy of the assembly manual, it is invaluable!

Check out my web site as I have my restoration project fairly well documented.

Don's 1970 Judge Restoration

Have Fun!

Don

restored a 70 Judge at: http://home.rochester.rr.com/dchapman

My 70 Judge Restoration documented at: http://thejudge.dyndns-home.com:8080/
Old 03-30-2003, 05:16 AM
Senior Chief

I think that you should do a little of both with the body.
I had to check out over 20 body shops until I found one that was both good and that would work with me on me getting the parts, etc.
I did all of "up front" work on my 68 before I took it to the body shop.
I dug out all the rusted areas and opened up any holes. I bought my own panels and the shop put them on. Just to give you a little idea of cost, I bought new rear lower quarters, new front quarter repair panels, and new door skins. I would say that the parts cost me about $750.00. The charge from the body shop to install these panels, along with doing a really good paint job was $4,000.00. They did an EXCELLENT job. My hood, trunk lid, trunk floor and floor pans were all good, so you will have to figure more if those are bad on your car.

Old 03-30-2003, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks all for the great info. I just want to do this right and as much as I can myself with my daughter. It is just going to be her and I on this as much as possible. One thing is I will have access to the Army base here in Alaska and since I am retired I can use there painting bays, sand blasters etc so wont have to spend alot on the specialized tools. I have been surfing throughout this formum and reading alot of posts and getting some great info/insite, Fantastic forum.....

Does anyone know where I can get the Assembly Manual as A1 JUDGE mentioned? Either electronic format or Paper. Searched the net to no aval...

So.... off to the garage now to pull the engine pieces out of the trunk and take the seats out...

THANKS for the help everyone.

Bill

Old 03-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Senior Chief

There is no assembly manual available for 68 & 69 years.
I guess no one has every found an original to reproduce!
I'd buy one in a second!!

Old 03-30-2003, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Worth a shot to ask. Hopfully I have at least a few of the right book.

Started some minor disassembly this morning. Took the front seats out, all windows/door cranks mirror and center console. Now on to the door panels....

Old 03-30-2003, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wipsyp, Glad to see another Pontiac fan close to home. If there is anything that I might have that you may need, give me a call. Give me a call anyway. We can talk Pontiac.
344-3964

Bill

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 03-30-2003, 06:23 PM
Senior Chief

Gee, and I thought I had it bad...Jack I really like the green "fur" gorwing on the piston tops.
Apparently nobody told the previous owner that pulling the pushrods first aids in head removal!! Of course I can't talk!!
$8,000 and climbing, no end in sight......
"mean"

Old 03-30-2003, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

WDCreech, Nice to see that someone is in Alaska around on here, thats cool. I can use almost any part if you have some, I dreed the lower 48 shipping. Where are you at? I am around Costco's on Debarr

Its been fun so far, only busted my knuckles 3 times today, thats pretty good

Old 03-30-2003, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

wipsyp, 7020 Abbott Loop Road. Turn east on E. 68th off of Lake Otis, go to the end, turn right on Abbott Loop, I'll be the first place you see on the right. Come by and look at my '64 and all the stuff I have. Take the second driveway and come back to the garage.

Bill

64 GTO, tube chassis w/606" IA tall deck, PG & a pro geared Fab 9". 2750 lbs.
8.2550@164.17-1/4, 5.2901@131.97-1/8, 1.1981-60-ft. 8/10/08

Old 03-30-2003, 08:40 PM
Senior Chief

Hey guys,
No offense, but could you take this discussion to email?
I keep getting emails that someone is replying to this thread, but it's just you guys giving each other directions to your houses.
Stuff like that is for private emails.