Old 11-07-2008, 01:59 AM

Just thinking out loud...I wonder if this car is getting more press than it would if it was actually listed correctly. The Pontiac (and probably others) community is buzzing because of the fairy tale of some dude who listed a car for $500 and it turned out he had no clue what it was (or how to make an appealing ad, not use caps lock, respond accurately, etc, but we'll save that for later). I s'pose in this case that it would be a big deal either way because of the magnitude of the car, but I've seen well-documented 69 T/A's, for instance, on ebay that never even make it to the discussion forum. If someone listed one of the 697 as a "Firebird with a weird spoiler and some sort of hood I've never seen" for $500, we'd be all over it.

I can't come up with another example in the Pontiac world that near compares to this. Thinking about it, death is the only way I can possibly fathom a car like this gets into someones hands who is clueless about it.

P.S. He has no time to read forums? If I tripped over 60 grand (and counting), I might skip HeeHaw and the Dog Whisperer and do a little extra reading/research. If I was his brother in law, I would give him about $16.25 for writing/maintaining the auction.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Where can a guy find pictures of a SD. I would like to see what the driveline and under body look like. Johm

Old 11-07-2008, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Hemmings article shows some topside views of the driveline through the access hatch. It's on the wagon but should be similar.

http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/..._feature9.html

Also - this picture was posted over at V8Buick by BrianS (also for the wagon).

Lastly, TomS posted some pictures over in the other thread (post #63).

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=578923&page=4

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 11-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks!!! Pictures helped me see what one was about. 78.000 is it realy worth it???? Maybe to a got to have it collector!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not in my view. Most of the good parts are missing from that car. And who knows how much it would take to buy them back, assuming all can be found!

Old 11-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Senior Chief

i wonder what this will do to sales figures for the 63s from now on? 80 grand and rising, thats insane money

Old 11-07-2008, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx421 View Post
i wonder what this will do to sales figures for the 63s from now on? 80 grand and rising, thats insane money
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...1%7C240%3A1318

Well we'll find out in about 6 days (haha, probably not), hope this isnt anyone on here, but this seller is piggybacking on the SD story - even referencing it in his auction.

Make a clone 63 SD... only a convertible...or the winner of the real SD should use this one for parts... seriously?

I'd love to be the owner of the real clip, or engine (if it exists and theres proof). Sitting back just watching the price of the car go up.

Last edited by blackpontiac; 11-07-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Suspended

Default 63 Pontiac...

Yes I would have to agree this is a very exciting event here,I saw the ad about 3 days ago and to say the least was very interested in it!! So carry on bidders lets see who the winner will be?
jts

Old 11-08-2008, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Minnesota View Post
Where can a guy find pictures of a SD. I would like to see what the driveline and under body look like. Johm
Here are a few pictures I took of the Delorean SD Lemans two years ago. It was briefly owned by a Minnesota guy who brought it to the Muscle Car Classic show in Plymouth in 2006. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=487583 Here are a few more pics from the same show that GTO John took. http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/....php?p=2605799

Old 11-08-2008, 12:25 AM

The seller turned down $160,000 to end the auction early. This auction makes no sense to me. Is the history of a car worth that much? I mean this car looks like a good candidate for the junk yard....Crazy, crazy, crazy!!!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:57 AM

I'm guessing the SERIOUS bidders with REAL money are still on the sidelines. Should make tomorrow interesting.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:15 AM

This auction is proof that there are still plenty of people who can throw money around in this $h!t economy....and for a car that, although it's rare, has some pretty important numbers matching pieces missing. By the looks of the pictures, some of the existing original parts will have to be replaced also. I see a lot more than just "surface rust".

Looks like the auction will easily go over $100K. It will be entertaining to watch the madness unfold.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Suspended

Default OFFER TURNED DOWN OF $500,000.00???

Dale the person answering the questions and running the ad,just turned down a offer in the "ask the seller a question" for a insane $500,000.00??? I run auctions my self and dont stop mine,but for a that kind of money.SOLD,SOLD,SOLD,.... LOL...
jts

Last edited by jts ocd-stang; 11-08-2008 at 12:39 PM. Reason: sold
Old 11-08-2008, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts ocd-stang View Post
Dale the person answering the questions and running the ad,just turned down a offer in the "ask the seller a question" for a insane $500,000.00??? I run auctions my self and dont stop mine,but for a that kind of money.SOLD,SOLD,SOLD,.... LOL...
jts
I think if someone had the $$$$$ to back up an offer like this they would fly out & make an offer in person so the seller would KNOW they were serious. Could be the seller is just stirring the pot a little by posting "questions" like that.

And I agree, for that amount it would be sold!

Old 11-08-2008, 01:19 PM
Suspended

the chances of the car bringing that money restored is slim.somebody just wanted their name posted on the ad.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think you could tell that this car was lettered up at one time. Just my curiosity

Old 11-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Senior Chief

MOST of all the questions have been already been answered in the auction..I recommend that every one should slow down and read the entire auction.I dont say that to criticize anyone but to point out that there is a lot of great reading there.

From the question/ answers on the auction....

Q: Hi, I have been following your auction, and perhaps I do not know Super Duty Pontiacs as much as some of the other folks that are asking questions. I know a lot about Ford and Mercury A/FX factory light weight cars, and when I look at those cars, I like proof of what they are. How do you know that this is the exact car that was delievered to Stan Long Pontiac,Detroit, Michigan, Driven by Stan Antlocer. Do you have any documentation about this, such as owner history, or papertrail. I am not trying to be critical, I just want to make sure if i bid, that this is the real deal, so help me if you can or perhaps one of your the other folks that have emailed can help. Is there a list of the 6 1963 Super Duty Pontiacs, that document the VIN number, or is there something on the Cowl Tag that tells you. Is there any signs of the original lettering of the car, if the paint was sanded away. Has a Real Super Duty guy inspected the car that has verified it. Very Interested Thanks, Jason BOR INC. Nov-06-08
A: THERE ARE VIN #s THAT MATCH, THE OWNER/DRIVER STAN SAYS IT IS AND A FEW VERY KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE HAVE COVERED THAT CAR OVER EVERY SQUARE INCH. TODAY WE NOTICED THE ORIGIONAL PAINTING OF STAN LONG PONTIAC ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR AND REAR FENDER WITH THE SUNLIGHT BEAMING THROUGH THE WINDOW, IT HAS THE PONTIAC REAREND THAT STAN AND HIS DAD PUT IN IT,HAS THE ORIGIONAL GAS TANK THAT WAS ONLY PUT ON 12 CARS,HAS THE HEADERS THAT ARE 1 OF 3 SETS.HAS THE FRONT CLIP THAT WAS INSTALLED, HAD THE RING AND PINION THAT WAS RUN IN STAN'S CAR, I COULD KEEP GOING BUT I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS TO READ. YES,THIS IS THE CAR AS ADVERTISED. THANKS

Last edited by tajunkman; 11-08-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-09-2008, 12:16 AM

A: THERE ARE VIN #s THAT MATCH, THE OWNER/DRIVER STAN SAYS IT IS AND A FEW VERY KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE HAVE COVERED THAT CAR OVER EVERY SQUARE INCH. TODAY WE NOTICED THE ORIGIONAL PAINTING OF STAN LONG PONTIAC ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE DOOR AND REAR FENDER WITH THE SUNLIGHT BEAMING THROUGH THE WINDOW, IT HAS THE PONTIAC REAREND THAT STAN AND HIS DAD PUT IN IT,HAS THE ORIGIONAL GAS TANK THAT WAS ONLY PUT ON 12 CARS,HAS THE HEADERS THAT ARE 1 OF 3 SETS.HAS THE FRONT CLIP THAT WAS INSTALLED, HAD THE RING AND PINION THAT WAS RUN IN STAN'S CAR, I COULD KEEP GOING BUT I HAVE MORE QUESTIONS TO READ. YES,THIS IS THE CAR AS ADVERTISED. THANKS[/QUOTE]

In this answer, the seller says it "has the front clip that was installed", but in the auction he says the front clip is in Florida somewhere and it will be the buyers responsibilty to try and get it. Did these cars come from the factory with a fiberglass front clip? If so, the clip that's on the car isn't original. If I were bidding that kind of money, I'd be concerned about some of the original pieces missing. It's a pretty good bet that the car is the real thing, but the money this guy is going to net is unreal.

Old 11-09-2008, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

the last time the front end changed hands was around 1979 in Ohio,not sure when that seller got it but it was bought from someone in Virgina.Never ask Stan how the front end left the car.It now has the steel front end instead of the alu.Tom

Old 11-09-2008, 04:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

my guess as to why the front end was changed is for practical reasons. Of course after the car was a year or so old, it was just that, a used car. No one ever dreamed of collectable value. With the alum front end as delicate as they are and as much as race cars are messed with and worked on, I would guess the front end was damaged in some way. Maybe even by leaning on them too much...setting heads on it, or? It was probably changed for cosmetic/practical reasons. I am sure the body shop at the dealer didn't have time, or interest, in fixing dented alum fenders.
Just my guess but seems like the most practical, reasonable answer was to put a replacement steel clip on the car.

that is how this stuff from that era shows up, people are dying off and not all loved ones know of , or care, about this stuff.

All of us who have valuable things should have them willed properly to take care of loved ones and to make sure they go where you want them to go.

Just imagine what the last owners wife would think if they knew what this car was worth.

It is a shame so many women/wives bitch to their husbands/boyfriends about the car hobby.
and as far as all of us spectators watching how this turns out.....What IS it worth?
The answer is like everything else.....it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

This car represents the high water mark of Pontiac involved racing and it is unlikely that another will ever surface.
Buying this car is a better investment than real estate, gold or just about anything else.

How about an arab sheik? What is 1 mil or 2 mil to them? Germany? China? Japan?
There are many more extremely wealthy people out there than there are SD Tempests.

Or.....maybe someone will donate it to my planned Pontiac museum so current and later generations can all see it.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11