Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:02 PM
Senior Chief

Jeez, it's great that they took the risk to make the investment in a mold and whatever other tooling dies were needed for that wood wheel. If they've only sold 750, and suppose say 50% is profit, that's only like $187K but then you have to subtract tooling capital cost which is going to at least cut that in half, then don't forget about taxes and overhead, so It's not like they are making a ton for their capital up front investment- over a quite a few years. Just be glad someone is willing to do this and the work to set up all the vendors etc, and give us the benefit of being able to get these parts. Thank you PY!

Old 02-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
Jeff, you might have noticed that Pearlcraft is an Australian Company? And they are located quite close to me.

Let me say that they do excellent work but be prepared to pay a heavy fine AND wait a long time. I have seen plenty of examples of their work and it's always been impressive but the same guys who had the work done sure did complain about the time it takes plus the heavy cost.

My 2c.

Ian

Old 02-18-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

Default wood grain steering wheel etc.....

I've been following this thread for a while and I enjoyed reading Forum members views on the state of the hobby.

"GTO's are selling for $30k-400k. This is not a 'sport' for the poor." This quote is true but it's sad that we've reached this state.

What do you all think has made this a hobby only for the well-to-do? What is driving GTO parts through the roof? ( ex. 64 sport wheel ~$1200, three 2bbl setups fetching over $2k) Are there too many restorers chasing too few parts? What's going on?

I have no arguments with restoration parts businesses ( PY, Ames, OPG etc.) trying to make a profit; they have to in order to stay in business. What really bugs me are the hobbyists, used parts vendors and swap meet gypsies gouging other restorers on parts. If I have an extra piece lying around and another restorer needs it I'll give it to him. I don't sell it to the highest bidder. This is supposed to be a hobby.

I'll probably get flak for this but I thought this thread was interesting and very true.

Ron
64 convertible in 4th year of 2 year restoration

Old 02-18-2010, 01:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to GTONUT57 Send a message via Skype™ to GTONUT57

Right On GTO Ron! To add to your comment I think the big restorations compamies are also escalating prices too. Ie.. console insert has double in price for over the last two years along with a number of other goods. Hard to believe cost has doubled. Again I do not mind a 25-35% profit for operations cost but don't inflate actual packaging and frieght cost too. Ebay sellers do this trick all the time for used parts.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey CCass

For the restoration service are the wheel spokes adressed or is jus the plastic. My old wood wheel is very pitted on the spokes.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:11 PM
Senior Chief

GTO_Ron, hey, it's not hard to see that it's the law of supply and demand. Supply will trend down over time, on project vehicles(I think it already has), and used parts that aren't reproduced. In the 80's and early 90's you could still find a decent project car for a few thousand. But more and more of them have been and are being restored, raising their value dramatically and placing them out of reach of the 16 year old(when I bough my first one), or even the many 26 year olds. And those project cars that are left will command a higher price as there are fewer of them, and they usually have more problems and will cost more to fix, and the guys with the money to now afford them are competing over them. They aren't making any new 65 gto's these days, and sure not at a price a young person could afford. So this trend will continue, and it will become a game of those who have the money to afford them will, or those that inherited them might get to play with them, but may eventually sell them back into the marketplace to those with the money. I don't like it either, but I'm glad I have toys to play with til my time comes. As far as swap meet people gouging? Sorry, if someone is willing to pay, it's not gouging. How many sell their extra stuff in order to help fund their restoration? Why shouldn't you get what the market will bear? It helps you get your restoration going. What's a matter, you don't like capitalism?

Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 PM
Senior Chief

Default wood wheel etc....

Hi Brad,

"Why shouldn't you get what the market will bear? It helps you get your restoration going. What's a matter, you don't like capitalism?"

Capitalism has been good to me, after finishing grad school and working as an engineer for 30+ years I enjoy a comfortable retirement and enjoy bodywork and painting as a hobby. I've always been a gearhead. We agree about the state of the hobby; it's gotten too expensive.

We disagree about selling our spare parts to the highest bidder. I'd rather give mine to a fellow restorer who happens to need the part. To me it's better to make a new friend rather than make a few bucks. Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving away complete tri-power setups or 64 hoods; I'm not crazy.

regards

Ron