Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 03-20-2013, 04:46 PM

Default Buyer Beware P Y Hurst Rims

Recently purchased a set of Hurst aftermarket rims from Performance Years.

I called the tech department before ordering & specificly asked if there will be any surprise's with these rims & I was assured no surprise's, it is as described.

Yes I know they are not original.

Yes I know there will be more than likely some imperfections.

Yes I know they are not correct.

Wow was I ever dissappointed & felt VERY mislead when I recieved them.

Who would of ever guessed, my as described nere perfect replica of Hurst rims with CRAGER cast right into the rim!!!

Just is not right that a company such as the one that puts on this FINE forume has to deal there customers in this fashion.

Dont mean to be negitive, just trying to save somebody else the trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI1176.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	316927   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI1177.jpg
Views:	645
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	316928  

Old 03-20-2013, 05:51 PM
Senior Chief

You're not kidding. I would be disappointed also. I would consider that "bait and switch". If it happened to me, I would no longer do business with the vendor.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

was there a pic of the rim for you to see before you bought them?

Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure looks alot like Cragar Eliminators to me, but give PY a chance to explain/make it right.
http://www.cragarwheel.com/products1...torRWDPolished

Last edited by ponchjoe; 03-20-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The original Hurst wheels had trim rings. Did they supply rings that would cover the Cragar logo on the rim? With trim rings & Hurst centers they're probably a good wheel that simulates the Hurst look.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did you even contact PY after you got the wheels AND before you posted? Bet not. PY does operate that way and I'm sure will take care of the problem if one exists.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Py is a great company and do their best to make customers happy no matter what the situation is.

1968 lemans :In progress!
1970 Bonneville 455 HO convertible (survivor)sold
1969 firebird
Old 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM

1969GTO

Yes there was a piture & convently the stamped CRAGER was turned so it could not be seen. This was in the current Performance Years catalog which I believe is the same as the current online version.

If interested go to page 154 of the catalog & let me know if you can see it

http://performanceyears.com/catalog/gtocat.pdf

Ponchjoe

Yes I believe the Crager box said Eliminator on it. There's really nothing for them to explain, its misleading on purpose or maybe lack of information is a better term.

I understand there not going to say these are Crager Eliminator's or every body would just go there & buy them, however they could say "the manufacturers name is stamped on your Hurst replica rim & you can see it from apx 20 feet away.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:55 PM

Bob V

No did not contact PY before I posted, was not aware I was supposed to.

Simply trying to provide information for the next person looking at purchase those rims.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:52 PM

i gotta say i have the FB catalog and it says aftermarket look a like-ebay for originals un restored -insane $$ or Mr joe parts -reproduction 2 to 3 grand ouch

Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The key word in the description of this product is 'aftermarket'. I've seen this product on a car before, and no I don't like it either. But, if you don't want to spend over double the money to get the 'reproductions' which are a lot closer to the originals but still not dead on, OR if you want an option in sizes; this is your only option.

Of course we don't know who you spoke with or exactly what they told you. Are you pissed because they specifically didn't tell you they were made by Cragar?

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-21-2013, 03:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Right above the AFTERMARKET Hurst wheels you bought for 900.00 are REPRODUCTION Hurst wheels for 2100.00. Hello? I guess the choice is yours, deal with the Cragar logo or spend an additional 1200.00.

I don't think it's misleading at all. They are clearly labeled AFTERMARKET.

So you thought the salesperson on the phone was lying to you when you asked if YOU would be disapointed in the wheels? Really?

It's really simple, just return your 900.00 wheels and spend an additional 1200.00 for the reproductions.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Those don't even look anything like Hurst wheels. More like Crager's 'version' of a Hurst wheel.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtabi View Post
Bob V

No did not contact PY before I posted, was not aware I was supposed to.

Simply trying to provide information for the next person looking at purchase those rims.
Reads more like a "I'll stick it to you!" post to me.

I bought $1,000 of parts from them & picked them up on a Saturday right as they were closing a few months ago, and somewhere in the confusion ended up with a 69 rear bumper rather than the 68 I wanted - one 3 minute call was all it took to get the new one sent out to me and I can return the 69 "ANY TIME I WANT" for a full refund.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris and the staff at PY will bend over backwards to resolve any situations and make the customer happy and thats probably the reason PY and Pypes have been so successful! This forum is a testament to that! I agree with Paul, deal with it or send them back and pay for the reproductions.

For an example: I ordered some AC dash vents for my 70 GTO. Everyone knows where they probably came from and the thin chrome around the edges of the vent got real narrow on one side, a little more than I could tolerate. Instead of posting my complaints here about it. One simple phone call and they went thru their stock and picked the best one they could find and sent it to me. Then told me if it wasn't to my likings that they would either credit me for the vent or contact their supplier and see what could be done. The next one sent was fine.
I would suggest calling them first next time before posting. I don't think you'll get much sympathy from the folks around here that have dealt with them before.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They really look good in the catalogue, too bad the cast in Craiger logo was placed out of view.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Jerry H

No I,m not pissed they didnt tell me they were Cragers, I fully understand they do not or could not manufacture all the great products they sell. I have no problem with Crager there a great company. BTW I never said I was pissed just dissapointed.

Paulatfast

"So you thought the salesperson on the phone was lying to you when you asked if YOU would be disapointed in the wheels?"

LOL I never said anybody was lying?
Also I never asked if I would be disappointed, I asked if there would be any SURPRISES.
Really, that is what I said reread the post.

The Boss

"Reads more like a "I'll stick it to you!" post to me."

WOW where did that come from? I keep rereading what I posted & I remain baffled. I searched all over this forume for any info on those rims before I bought them & I could not find a single post. I really truly THOUGHT I would save someone else the problem or dissapointment on those rims thats all. I sure would of loved to read the post I made before hand.

Guys

I just felt I should of been told thats all, after all thats why I called the tech department, at the time I felt mislead, I,m sure the salesperson must not of known.

I had NO PROBLEM spending the $2,100.00 on the others, however I am installing 4 wheel disk brakes on the car with larger sway bars & the option of going with a larger wheel seemed like a great option, because the car will be driven. Along with the rims, I purchased from PY the 4 wheel disk kit & all SS brake lines and 4 Redline tires from another vendor.

In all 10 packages, it would require sending all that back, I,m not going to do that. I will live with it. Really truly just thought others would of liked to know. I should of called PY & never posted a thing but then again I thought thats what forumes where for sharing information.

Oh & BTW I have loads of parts to purchase yet for this resto & more than likly most of them will be bought from PY.

NUF-SED

Old 03-21-2013, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Quote:

I called the tech department before ordering & specificly asked if there will be any surprise's with these rims & I was assured no surprise's, it is as described.

Who would of ever guessed, my as described nere perfect replica of Hurst rims with CRAGER cast right into the rim!!!

Just is not right that a company such as the one that puts on this FINE forume has to deal there customers in this fashion.

Wow. I'm really sorry you feel you got duped. I can certainly understand your dissappointment if you were expecting to get real reproduction Hurst wheels. Or if you paid the $2000 price for reproduction Hurst wheels and then got these wheels. But I hope you can see that our intent wasnt' to decieve you. If that were the case, every set of these wheels we send out would come back because as you said 'the CRAGAR logo is cast right on the rim! Why would we want to ship our wheel set after wheel set only to have customers see the CRAGAR logo and then return them? We made a special effort to create a unique adapter for the wheels that allows the original hurst cap to mount on these wheels because we thought these wheels have that classic Hurst look at a very reasonable price. That makes the wheel package a PY kit, not a CRAGAR kit. There is a super clear picture of the wheels and caps for you to decide how close they resemble the Hurst wheel. We could have modified the wheels and removed the logo but we did not for the very reason of what you are accusing us of. We didn't want to deceive the customer. We really didn't think the CRAGAR logo should be a negative.

Here's why we don't 'advertise' that they are CRAGAR wheels.

From a marketing standpoint, Aftermarket wheels are notoriously 'shopped'. Everyone that buys a set of aftermarket wheels will simply search for the best price and buy from that source. We lose the sale but more importantly, you get a set of wheels that you CAN'T install the Hurst caps on. So by offering these wheels as a complete $900 package, we feel perfectly comfortable promoting them as a PY product, not a CRAGAR product and we end up helping the customer avoid a lot of frustration.

Anyway, we're going to listen to the phone conversation you had with one of our staff and if they in any way were deceptive, we'll do a call tag and have the wheels picked up and a full refund will be issued. Even if the staff was not deceptive, as always, anything purchased from PY is returnable for a refund.

Old 03-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Administrator

I'm going to close this topic for now and then open it up after we review our phone records. Then I'll open it up to WTABI to reply. It really would not be productive to have everyone reading comment on this specific situation. If someone wants to start a 'deception in the marketplace' type topic, that's fine.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Jeff, I listened in detail to your conversation with our staff member and he was extremely detailed (almost to a fault) with trying to explain the difference between the $2100 Hurst wheels and our $850 wheels. I think the phone conversation was close to 20 minutes. He spent a lot of time reviewing wheel and tire sizes. He spent time explaining the differences between finishes. At no point in the conversation was there any even hint of deception and at no point in the conversation did you say anything about 'are there any surprises' to look out for. He was very clear to tell you that the wheels were 'aftermarket' and the advantages and disadvantages. I'm sorry to say that you really should just chalk this one up to a preconceived idea of your product expectations. Sometimes you get a picture in your mind of how you expect something to be and everything you hear after that is blah, blah blah etc. ;) I do it all the time.

If you want me to send you a copy of the conversation, just pm me with your e-mail but I don't really see the need. You seem like a very reasonable guy when listening to that phone conversation. If you still want to return the wheel kit and are concerned about return shipping costs, have a look at our show schedule and we could potentially make arrangements to take the wheels back at a show. However, I'd really consider using the wheels for that 1964 GTO. I think based on your aftermarket brake modifications and the Hurst look you were going for, you already have made a very nice looking and excellent performance decision.

Last edited by Ccass; 03-21-2013 at 09:52 PM.