Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966Lemans View Post
We SHOULD be able to order without creating an account, especially if you're using Paypal (which automatically provides your shipping address, etc to the vendor).
You can order without an account. It just so happens that the customer above 'did' have an account.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to follow up on this, I just placed a small order with PY this morning. It went off without a hitch but I DID have to use the part number posted earlier by HFR seat back bumper. I tried to look up the part using what I thought it was called to the best of my recollection and came up with nothing.
The language has to be exact if you use the product name as opposed to the number.
Therefore, if you don't have a catalog you're likely going to have issues.

Old 09-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, I don't mean to pick at you, but use you as an example.

I think one of the problems is exactly as you describe, trying to guess at what a part is called. The bumper was an easy find, as you described where it was used. I went into the GTO/LeMans catalog then, into the interior section...

Then, I knew it attaches to the seat...

And finally, a picture with description was right in front of my eyes.

Basically followed through it as if it were a catalog. Now, I do have problems sometimes as all part numbers don't have pictures. But, the description is usually very good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PYSales1.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	376348   Click image for larger version

Name:	PYSales2.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	376349   Click image for larger version

Name:	PYSales3.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	376350  

Old 09-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
You can order without an account. It just so happens that the customer above 'did' have an account.
Hmmmm. That's weird. I did a "test" with a simple order, and couldn't get past the screen that requires an E-mail address and password (and "confirm" password). That's defacto "creating" an account. You should be able to put in your e-mail and press a PayPal button without having to create another login. I don't need to keep track of another login. But, it's just a suggestion. If I really needed something, I'd probably just do it.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Greg, I don't mean to pick at you, but use you as an example.

I think one of the problems is exactly as you describe, trying to guess at what a part is called. The bumper was an easy find, as you described where it was used. I went into the GTO/LeMans catalog then, into the interior section...

And finally, a picture with description was right in front of my eyes.

Basically followed through it as if it were a catalog. Now, I do have problems sometimes as all part numbers don't have pictures. But, the description is usually very good.
Thanks HFR, that was helpful. I'll admit that I cheated since I knew you had already found it for me. I did at least find the console door with zero difficulty...but not too many other things you can call that.
Now, as for viewing the catalog online...my home connection (ATT) is pretty slow and it takes a LONG time to download it. I just tried it and got tired of waiting. I did request a catalog with my last order and that should help.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 09-15-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Hmmmm. That's weird. I did a "test" with a simple order, and couldn't get past the screen that requires an E-mail address and password (and "confirm" password). That's defacto "creating" an account. You should be able to put in your e-mail and press a PayPal button without having to create another login. I don't need to keep track of another login. But, it's just a suggestion. If I really needed something, I'd probably just do it.
I believe you did stumble upon a glitch or at the very least a confusing aspect. You can enter our online ordering 2 different ways. 1. As a registered user or anonymously. We've setup various links from our main page and from the Forums and I think you stumbled on an incorrect link that needs to be corrected to take you directly to the shopping cart instead of the login prompt. The link you found should be strictly for registered users of the online order system. Do you remember what you clicked on to get that screen?

btw, The registered user mode is pretty nice for customers that order often from us.

1. It allows you to enter part numbers through a 'quick cart' mode. 30 part numbers can be entered in about 3 minutes.

2. It allows you to review status's of existing orders. You can check backorders. You can look up tracking numbers.

3. You can look up old orders you already received just in case you forgot whether you ordered something. You can also get a good picture of how much money you spent! (maybe that's not such a good feature. ;) )

Old 09-16-2014, 07:34 PM

I think I just added a test item (a py decal) and clicked "checkout".

Old 09-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccass View Post
btw, The registered user mode is pretty nice for customers that order often from us.

1. It allows you to enter part numbers through a 'quick cart' mode. 30 part numbers can be entered in about 3 minutes.

2. It allows you to review status's of existing orders. You can check backorders. You can look up tracking numbers.

3. You can look up old orders you already received just in case you forgot whether you ordered something. You can also get a good picture of how much money you spent! (maybe that's not such a good feature. ;) )
Well, this thread has served a useful purpose for me. I had not explored the PY site beyond the forums in quite some time. I think the last big order I placed with you was for my exhaust system and I did that by phone.
I've been playing around with it and I have to admit, the ordering process has improved quite a lot. Not a whole lot to complain about at this point from me.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Quote:
I think I just added a test item (a py decal) and clicked "checkout".
hmmm.... This may be getting out of my technical range but it appears to me like you may already have registered for online ordering in the past and it recognized you. Therefore it is asking for a username and password.

If you don't mind, can you PM or email me your real name and zip code? I can look at your account and see if my suspicion is true.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:20 PM
Senior Chief

Placed a small online order yesterday. Everything seemed to go well. The only thing I don't understand is why we can't get the shipping charges before we place the order. The only time I find the charges is after they charge my credit card. I like to shop around and knowing how much a company is charging for shipping is very important to know ahead of time before you submit the order. I think this is the only online store that I purchase from that doesn't do this.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekheavy View Post
Placed a small online order yesterday. Everything seemed to go well. The only thing I don't understand is why we can't get the shipping charges before we place the order. The only time I find the charges is after they charge my credit card. I like to shop around and knowing how much a company is charging for shipping is very important to know ahead of time before you submit the order. I think this is the only online store that I purchase from that doesn't do this.
This has been a source of debate for PY for years. The system can be setup to calculate the shipping costs for us rather easily. That makes life so much easeir for us! However, in our business, there are so many different shapes, weights and sizes on a single purchase. Our staff has to look at every single order and envision how many boxes it will require if packed efficiently. If we let the computer calculate the shipping based on weight and sizes, you will almost always end up overpaying for shipping. For example; if you buy a rear package tray and a radiator support filler panel for a 1970 GTO, the computer will charge you oversize for both of those items. It has no way to know that both of those items can fit in the same box. So if it is any consolation for waiting on the shipping charge, we do have the customer in mind in this regard.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Senior Chief

Sounds like it's time for new computers or upgraded software.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:50 PM
Senior Chief

Tried to order online window glass stabilizers, headlight bezel mounting kit and a reverse light switch. Did not find. Very frustrating. Went to a competitor's site and found all three within seconds. Very frustrating. As I said in an earlier post, you are letting money walk out the door. One will bang their head on the wall only so many times.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio ps View Post
Tried to order online window glass stabilizers, headlight bezel mounting kit and a reverse light switch. Did not find. Very frustrating. Went to a competitor's site and found all three within seconds. Very frustrating. As I said in an earlier post, you are letting money walk out the door. One will bang their head on the wall only so many times.
So who did you find the parts from? What were their part numbers?

Old 10-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

PY's checkout really needs a Paypal link. I mean REALLY needs one. I don't want to sit there and have to enter in my info the old fashioned way. Talk about outdated.

Agree with the above that some kind of shipping charge needs to be shown before an order is submitted not after.

Overall the online ordering system is clunky at best.

Old 10-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My bad...it actually does although it's not a direct link.

Now if I could only update my cart without losing everything.

Last edited by abefromen; 10-15-2014 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 12:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was looking at the online catalog for some small parts and ran into a problem I have never encountered. When I would try going back a page using the back arrow on my browser I would get a page saying "Document Expired" and I would have to start my search all over. But, I don't know if this is a PY glitch or a Firefox one.

Old 11-05-2014, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently made a purchase utilizing the very nice paper catalogs that PY sends out and then used the search tool to find the part to add to my cart. Although not as user friendly as some systems, I got the right parts and saved 3%.

One thing I will add is if there was a better system to browse parts, PY may have more sales from us compulsive buyers! :) that's why EBay is so successful.

Old 11-06-2014, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't like online ordering anything anyway. I prefer the paper catalog and then just pick up the phone.

Old 11-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
I guess I'm old school. I much rather call and order by phone just to make sure I'm not screwing something up. Every time I've called PY for a parts order (many of them over the years), I've never once had any issues with whomever I talked too. Friendly, hopeful, informative, and honest, thats what makes customer service. And when there has been issue with an order, its nice to know you can get immediate help rather than trying to email or call other vendors.
I even still call Summit when I need something because I'm just not a big fan of online ordering. I need to hear a voice.
Wow, someone like me :D

I must be old school, because listening to all these complaints about how much someone has to type info in or look for things on a computer is making me chuckle. Lets go back to the days before computers, I think some of this younger generation would be completely lost.

Last edited by Formulajones; 11-06-2014 at 03:14 PM.