Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 05-17-2016, 08:29 PM

Default Color Stripped Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhpontiac72 View Post
I have been left with no choice, except to speak up about so called reproduction junk. Without reproduction parts MANY of these cars, maybe to include yours, would have been scrapped years ago. Parts cars from 15 years ago are now being restored because of the plentiful supply of new parts on the market. Whether or not you choose to recognize it, reproduction parts have played a large role in keeping these cars and the hobby alive. At Ames, we strive to note the quality of parts throughout our catalog. We continue to make improvements on questionable parts. Yet, in some cases, our hands are tied due to current manufacturing limitations, restrictions and available materials. Countless hours and money are spent every year improving upon our existing product line as well as introducing much needed new products. So, do we take some of these negative "JUNK" comments personally? YES. Is every aspect of the restoration industry perfect? No, but Ames Performance is one company that continues to try and make it better. We are always open to constructive criticism and/or suggestions from our customers and others in the industry.

Back to the issue at hand. There are two versions of these vacuum hoses as pictured in a previous post. Ours (Ames) are a more correct version with very good, consistent color. If you dry-rub the hose vigorously without a cleaner/protectant it will fade. If you attack the colored stripe with excessive force, even with some lubricants, it will fade. I have attached a picture containing pieces of Ames hose with each chemical we used to wipe down the hose. We found WD-40 had the most detrimental effects for stripe deterioration, as seen in the photo. We do not use Armor-All on anything and therefore it was exempt from our tests.
I'm well aware of the benefit of reproduction parts and am thankful for them.
I'm also aware some reproduction parts are of lesser quality than others.
My constructive criticism is your color stripped hose should not shed its color by rubbing nor should a swipe of armor all remove the color.
I managed to "rub" some of the color off one hose while installing it
I can post a picture if you want.
Just because Ames doesn't use Armor All is probably of little concern to those who do. I find it interesting that the one product mentioned to affect your hose was exempt form your test.
Perhaps the limitations and conditions of using your hose should be listed with the product to inform buyers how to properly care for it.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your posts are far from "constructive". You were unhappy...move on.
If you have to be told how bad Armor All is for whatever it touches, that speaks volumes.

I am a longtime customer of Ames and PY. Both companies have gone above and beyond to supply the Pontiac restorer customer base with the best parts available.

These hoses worked very well for me, and for several others. Looks like the Inline Tube hoses are what you need for your restoration.....

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 05-18-2016, 12:52 PM

Default color striped hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
Your posts are far from "constructive". You were unhappy...move on.
If you have to be told how bad Armor All is for whatever it touches, that speaks volumes.

I am a longtime customer of Ames and PY. Both companies have gone above and beyond to supply the Pontiac restorer customer base with the best parts available.

These hoses worked very well for me, and for several others. Looks like the Inline Tube hoses are what you need for your restoration.....
They are as constructive as this one.
Already moved.
I've used Armor All for many years without any problems.
Rather than making smart ass remarks please explain its shortcomings.
What do you recommend instead?

Old 05-18-2016, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303...8Adw&gclsrc=ds

Try some sometime. There is no comparasion to that crap called Armor All............

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 05-18-2016, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Rick on both counts. 303 Aerospace Protectant is a superior product, and if you don't like the Ames lines move on and find something better. You might like the Inine Tube lines. I didn't, but while they are less accurate looking, they certainly have better durability, and you might value the durability factor more than others. One trick I like is to lightly spray printed lines/hoses like this with TAMIYA flat clear model lacquer - it's TAMIYA code is TS-80. I did it on the earlier non-Ames lines I got from a Corvette headlight kit, with the Ames lines that make buying a kit with tons of unusable line unnecessary, and with the EVAP line I made up. It doesn't change the look or flexibility of the hose at all, but it offers a significant protective barrier.

One of the Green striped hoses below has gotten 3 light coats of TS-80, as has the EVAP hose.

Product tip for Ames - you should repop the EVAP hose instead of just selling the rubber stamp

Old 05-19-2016, 12:55 AM

Default color striped hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 Canamman View Post
http://www.goldeagle.com/product/303...8Adw&gclsrc=ds

Try some sometime. There is no comparasion to that crap called Armor All............
The local Napa carries it. I'll check it out.
Thanks for the info.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:09 AM

Default color stripped hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
I agree with Rick on both counts. 303 Aerospace Protectant is a superior product, and if you don't like the Ames lines move on and find something better. You might like the Inine Tube lines. I didn't, but while they are less accurate looking, they certainly have better durability, and you might value the durability factor more than others. One trick I like is to lightly spray printed lines/hoses like this with TAMIYA flat clear model lacquer - it's TAMIYA code is TS-80. I did it on the earlier non-Ames lines I got from a Corvette headlight kit, with the Ames lines that make buying a kit with tons of unusable line unnecessary, and with the EVAP line I made up. It doesn't change the look or flexibility of the hose at all, but it offers a significant protective barrier.

One of the Green striped hoses below has gotten 3 light coats of TS-80, as has the EVAP hose.

Product tip for Ames - you should repop the EVAP hose instead of just selling the rubber stamp

I was thinking of trying some Krylon matt clear acrylic.
I've used it on textured wood gun stocks with good results.
The hoses look good. Thanks for the tip.

Old 07-18-2016, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hamlin View Post
First let me say I'm sorry you had to be the test mule, but I for one am glad you posted your findings.
I was planning to re-detail my bay and considered these hoses for the finishing touch.
As much as I don't do shows as often as I used to, I still try to maintain a clean engine bay.
I personally would not use Armor-all even to clean a cats butt (That's another story)
however do occasionally soak everything down with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and then a low psi rinse.
Again sorry for your lost efforts and money but thanks for saving me some un-needed aggravation.
My cat never forgave me the one time I used Armor-All on it's butt. Nothing but the best for my cat now. Switched over to Westley's Bleche-Wite and the cat's never been happier. ;)