Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Shipping anything to Canada read this

I sold an A/C system for a Chevy on ebay.
The auction had a fixed price for shipping in USA only
and advised bidders outside of USA to contact me first for a shipping quote.
Bidding was doing fine until the last minute( I was watching it) and someone
with only a couple of transactions bid the highest and won.
I was immediately contacted by the next lower bidder who I had been conversing
via email for days. He had said if the high bid was a fluke he would take a second chance offer.
(should have bid higher to begin with.) Anyway I then noticed that the person that won was from
Canada and hadnt asked ahead of time for a shipping quote.
They promptly emailed me their Ph# and asked for a shipping quote.
I ran the shipping quote thru an online FedEx shipping site and sent them a total.
This was immediately paid via Paypal so I thought all was well.
Items were boxed up and all the proper custom duty forms were filed.
I claimed actual auction price for the worth,had to split it up between 3 boxes
and sent it via Fed Ex ground.
This was over 3 months ago and I just got a letter from Fed ex stating that my account
is going to be charged $90 because the buyer didnt pay the duty tax.
I called Fed ex and asked why they didnt collect it when the packages were delivered
and they said it was customary to deliver without payment.
They also said theres no way I could have collected the duty tax for them as I wouldnt
have known how much it would be.
Well parts have been delivered,money paid thru Paypal and Im now stuck with a deadbeat that wont pay his taxes.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 PM

That sucks big time.

Just makes it tougher to do business with our northern neighbors. Alot of sellers won't ship to Canada or anywhere besides the lower 48.

Kurt

Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 PM

Actually I think some sort of mistake has been made. As far as I know since this is a US produced item being shipped to Canada there is no duty. Remember Free Trade? This maybe why he refused to pay.

Jamie

Old 02-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Every time I have recieved something from the US, I have been billed by UPS or Fedex for the duty and taxes, no reason why u should pay it, person buying the part is responsible to pay. Same as driving over the line and bringing something back with u,Buyer has to pay. Not sure why they would try and bill U?? Oh by the way Sorry to hear about the deadbeat, Canadian or not, cuz that's dirty pool.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Each time I have had a delivery from the US I had to pay any taxes, duties etc that were due COD.
Why would the buyer who paid you via PayPal for the item plus shipping have anything to due with this. Fed ex is a gigantic company which ships tand recieves in every country on the planet which should know what the h### is going on.

Used parts do not have any duty on them. if new parts are built in the US or Canada there are also no duties. In my province, 90 bucks in taxes would be 1800 bucks in air conditioner parts which must be a special system.
Most companies that ship me parts use UPS. If I buy items on ebay i normally tell the seller to ship me by snail mail. No problems at this end. All taxes get paid to the postal service on delivery.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

sounds to me like fed-ex dropped the package without collecting their fee and are now trying to get you to pay. Have you contacted the buyer? I would talk to fed-ex and tell them it is the buyers responsailities to pay the duties. It is up to them to collect it from the buyer.

The Following User Says Thank You to niceta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2008, 08:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Sounds like Fedex should get a collection agency after the buyer for the $90.00. You should not be liable.
I always had to pay my taxes and brokerage fees.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Same ol' same ol'... Large companies won't accept responsibility and MUST sluff it off on SOMEONE! Your turn... In today's business and political environment, it seems to be the "norm". It isn't right...

Jim

Old 02-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fedex isn't so bad,,,,Try "UPS" on for size their brokerage charges alone are more than that for anything out of the USA......

What your most likely seeing is a nominal GST & PST charge with the rest of the balance being the Fedex brokerage fees at the boarder....Some Canadians new to the e-bay experience don't understand that and refuse to pay causing all the rest of us to get a bad name.....It's important to make sure your clear with anyone you sell to in Canada that they will be responsible for "All charges" as they relate to the package shipping and please don't bundle us all into the same sack.......Some of us really are good people to deal with lol.

BTW......I'd tell Fedex to hit it on the charges and tell them to advise Canada customs of the package in question that has not had it's taxes collected...........I'm sure if Fedex reversed the GST & PST portion of their charges,,,The government would be all to pleased to have a little discussion with this dead beat bidder,,,nobody wants these guys knocking on your door as they have absolutely no sense of humor what-so-ever from what I'm to understand lmao...

Old 02-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Importer" always pays the "import" duty ,to all countries...if FedEx "forgot" to collect its their problem....
you didnt have to pay an "export duty" you Exported the item!
I`d call FedeX office! or the customs...

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Hawk
Each time I have had a delivery from the US I had to pay any taxes, duties etc that were due COD.
Same here. I had ordered some tips for my brother for his T/A (shipped UPS) and they collected duties etc when it was delivered.

I agree with Tazzz2 as well about UPS and their damn fees. :poke: :mad:

Old 02-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjorn
"Importer" always pays the "import" duty ,to all countries...if FedEx "forgot" to collect its their problem....
you didnt have to pay an "export duty" you Exported the item!
I`d call FedeX office! or the customs...
I have called Fed Ex,they claim its policy to deliver the package, when shipped ground, without payment of duty taxes and fees.I have also contacted the buyer via email thru Ebay(using all proper means of contact) and have gotten no response.
Fed Ex has said they will bill my account directly if this isnt paid.
Maybe Ill let them do this and let my credit card company that the account is paid on
fight it out with them. But Im sure they will suspend my shipping account until its cleared up.

I dont want to generalize that all Canadians dont pay their taxes but this will severely hamper my desire to ship anything else north of the border.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cammer-6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2008, 04:30 PM

I shipped a part Fedex to an American purchaser and i was the one getting dinged!

Old 02-08-2008, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm shipping 7 box's to Canada,i hope i don't have a problem.The lady at the UPS drop off place told me i just need the address and a phone number for the buyer.I hope he does not have a problem too.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"I dont want to generalize that all Canadians dont pay their taxes" or on another note
"I dont want to generalize about all Americans they are .......!!";)
Before you listen to FedEx over the phone get it in writing, I have never had anything delivered without everything ( duty & tax) paid for first , and this 3 months after the fact trying to ding you.
Some one on here once said "I usually like to be kissed first before I get F&cked" which sounds like the case here.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

i shipped a 66 gto 4 speed console to canada using fed ex ground and valued it at 1000 since thats what i sold it for, i didnt have any problems i think your getting screwed and id definateley fight that one out, maybee even call a lawyer to see if they can do that

Old 02-08-2008, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sounds like FedEx "policy" sux and needs to be revised..."importers" pay the import duty, not the exporter...its the job of the country it comes to to collect from the resident there...FedEx is simply wrong....It hate say that because I always use FedEx and like them , but I bet I wont ship anything to Canada with them..I would then use USPS , who would NOT deliver w/o duties paid, or rather the Canadian PO..its in their court then...same as Sweden ,Norway, Netherlands , Germany that I have shipped to...duty ,if deemed to be paid is paid there, by the receiver...just as a VAT if necessary....

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 02-08-2008, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bjorn,I feel like Im in for a long and bumpy ride on this one.
Until its cleared up Im suspending all shipments to Canada.
Carl A
"Before you listen to FedEx over the phone get it in writing, I have never had anything delivered without everything ( duty & tax) paid for first , and this 3 months after the fact trying to ding you."
In answer to the in writing comment see my first post

Old 02-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

:o One must learn to read the whole thread not just the last few messages.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldn't stop doing business with Canadians over this. I would stop doing business with FedEx. You are in no way responsible for paying import duties/taxes.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots!"