Old 08-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default drive shaft rubbing floor 64 GTO

I searched for the old threads regarding this issue but couldn't find them. My 64 would rub the drive shaft with a passenger in the car so I finally fixed it. Took out the stock height mounting pad (4 speed car) and installed the 1/4" shorter Energy Suspension unit. Worked like a charm, no more rubbing with a passenger or two. I wonder if I could put enough heavy friends in to squish that 1/4" and rub again?

Old 08-07-2017, 04:59 PM

What's the dimension of the energy suspension mount ? My stock one (I think original) is about 1.85 inches

I have same problem mostly caused by the driverside frame cross member mounting location bent up pretty severely; I just want to get it driveable so I can get it to a friends house with a lift so we can address that....I cant get enough leverage with it on jackstands to pull it back down

Old 08-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Look up "short" trans mount on Energy Suspension website, they give dimensions

Old 08-07-2017, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don't know dimension but it was 1/4" shorter then what I took out. I did just find this mount from NAPA BK6201030 suppose to be 1.5" in height.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:18 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW64OWNER View Post
Look up "short" trans mount on Energy Suspension website, they give dimensions
Where? Provide a Link Please.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

3-1158G
is the short mount he is talking about, 1 5/8 tall as apposed to 1-15/16 tall on normal one. BUT could also magnify driveline vibration is said vehicle as we all know this is an issue and usually want to move trans up and not down. http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/3.1158

Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes the 31158 is the short mount. Worked great, did not drop trans far enough to make drive line angle incorrect. Move trans up? can't do that the driveshaft was already hitting the floor brace with weight on body. Common problem. Now that rubber mount I posted from NAPA is supposedly 1.5" but I didn't use that one.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Where? Provide a Link Please.

Tom V.
Google is your friend

Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 AM

I ordered the 3-1158G from Jegs....I'll give it a shot for $33 to help gain a little clearance until I can address my real problem, which is a badly bent-up frame pad on the driverside where the trans crossmember sits.

http://www.energysuspension.com/parts-search.html

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...rsistYmm=false

Old 08-08-2017, 09:43 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

G is in black, R is for red.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69hardtop View Post
What's the dimension of the energy suspension mount ? My stock one (I think original) is about 1.85 inches

I have same problem mostly caused by the driverside frame cross member mounting location bent up pretty severely; I just want to get it driveable so I can get it to a friends house with a lift so we can address that....I cant get enough leverage with it on jackstands to pull it back down
A 24 inch crescent wrench (https://www.harborfreight.com/24-inc...nch-39621.html) will straighten it, should be able to do it on jack stands. Just adjust the jaws to fit over the frame section and pull it down. Unless yours is completely destroyed I have straightened frame rails before with this method.

A side note, you can straighten pothole damage on bent rims this way too.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 08-08-2017 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a driveshaft clearance issue on one of my '65s after an engine/trans swap and some other work.

Ended up solving it by putting a small piece of 2x on top of jack and using it to jack up car where driveshaft was hitting. Ended up pushing up floor pan in that area just enough so it didn't hit anymore.

Probably not the 'best' solution, but it worked and didn't cause any other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-08-2017, 12:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The "normal" pad from them is 1 15/16" tall, the short version 1 5/8". Any one know the height of an actual OEM rubber mount?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	energy-suspension-3_1158-large-diagram-1.png
Views:	78
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	460695  

Old 08-08-2017, 12:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This one from NAPA is supposedly 1.5" tall but I haven't verified that.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_6201030

Old 08-09-2017, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdk1976 View Post
I had a driveshaft clearance issue on one of my '65s after an engine/trans swap and some other work.

Ended up solving it by putting a small piece of 2x on top of jack and using it to jack up car where driveshaft was hitting. Ended up pushing up floor pan in that area just enough so it didn't hit anymore.

Probably not the 'best' solution, but it worked and didn't cause any other issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I did the same on my two '64 GTO's. Both had the driveshaft interference problem. I removed the driveshaft and used a piece of 2X8 board about 8" long on top of my floor jack to jack up the floor area where interference occurred. It was necessary to push the floor up a lot more than the clearance I needed, so I measured the distance from the transmission tailshaft to the floor and jacked the floor by trial and error. I remember it took at least three times the amount needed before the floor stayed as high as needed.

I blame the interference problem on the bodymen who welded in the new floors. They did not maintain the height needed to clear the driveshaft.

The shorter rear trans support is a great idea IF driveshaft alignment is not compromised by lowering the rear of the trans. .

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-09-2017, 04:49 PM

Thx for all the great ideas (and all the good ones in previous posts). I am going to try the shorter mount; I tried the 2x4 under the tunnel but it seemed that my floor was "flexing" and returned to it's original shape. Itit's got a bunch of crinkles in it from some previous BFH strikes and a gaping oversized hole under the shifter porch from old mods so I think I'm trying to leave my floor alone.....for now

Old 08-09-2017, 05:16 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW64OWNER View Post
Google is your friend
Glad you have a sense of humor. The mount you posted might work well on my 5 speed NASH Trans which has the rear trans mount farther back and lower.
This might put it in the correct Yoke Position centerline just a bit farther back now (due to Nash Trans trans mount location Like a Turbo 400 Trans tail stock.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:10 PM

Maybe you could remove the rubber insulators at the end of each side of the trans crossmember where it bolts to the frame? Didn't later year gto's eliminate them all together?

Old 08-09-2017, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPM View Post
Maybe you could remove the rubber insulators at the end of each side of the trans crossmember where it bolts to the frame? Didn't later year gto's eliminate them all together?

There's probably a few things one can do but if installing a 1/4" shorter pad works then why do all the Rube Goldberg things?

Old 08-09-2017, 08:39 PM
Boost Engineer

I have seen the rubber isolators on most 64-67 GTOs and always on Convertibles which is all I have owned and actually worked on. Convertibles are pretty filmsy on the frame structure as is without the steel roof and if you put a Bolt On solid frame crossmember in place on the car vs the isolator mount system, you could very well break the transmission crossmember ear off the solid part.

Nope, I am not jerry rigging anything on a convertible chassis.

Tom V.