Old 08-14-2017, 07:01 PM

Default 5N code in 1964?

I was at a car show over the weekend and spotted a really nice 64 GTO. One thing I noticed was the owner had assembly line markings recreated on the firewall and other areas in the engine compartment. The car was really well done, but I question one of his marks. There was a 5N hand written on the firewall between the heater box and distributor. Was that correct for a 64? Just curious....

Rich C.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Old 08-14-2017, 07:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Firewall marking varied from plant to plant and shift to shift. It is possible it was there originally or the owner could have went overboard with the markings when he restored it.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 08-14-2017, 07:53 PM
Boost Engineer

I have seen Pics of that done (believe in chalk or a white Paint stick) but know nothing about how a plant runs except for visiting the Corvette Plant in High School.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus31 View Post
Firewall marking varied from plant to plant and shift to shift. It is possible it was there originally or the owner could have went overboard with the markings when he restored it.
x2. And operator to operator.

The marks were not defined by engineering, but were implemented locally to "help a brother out" by giving workers downstream a heads up of the option content on that specific vehicle. They also help the operators stay in sequence, or detect if a mistake has been made, in the material that is built up off line and then conveyed to the main line (hood, fenders, seats, etc).

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 08-15-2017, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think I've ever seen a "5N" marked on the firewall. From what I've seen, many guys try to duplicate markings that they find as they carefully strip the car down. So maybe this guy saw it on his and duplicated that. Nothing wrong with that. So not a question of correct or incorrect IMO.

I didn't find any such markings on my firewall so not adding any. No inspector's stamps either. It's a Fremont car. Was that typical? I have no idea.

Like Keith says, these were line worker scrawls that were considered useful by them.

I was watching a show last night on the History channel about the rise of the auto. They got into the early union organization. At one point they showed guys on a sit down strike, scrawled on the door of a car in the photo was some lengthy message about the strike.

It crossed my mind that some restorer could find evidence of that under the paint of that car. Would he duplicate it?

Old 08-15-2017, 09:53 PM
Boost Engineer

Do not know what purpose it would serve except to acknowledge that that individual vehicle was built during a sit-down strike that has nothing to do with the basic vehicle options. History but not much else.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I found a bunch of codes on the firewall of my car but only after sandblasting. The chalk/paintstik remained after the black was removed. Like it stained the original bare metal. 38 was found just next to the heater core indicating the GTO intent. Above the throttle cable hole 2227 and below 2KL. Directly below the throttle cable was 5N. The left floor upper panel had a 2 below the stamped X in the sheet metal. Looking directly at the wiper motor hole and to its left, a large X was placed. Centered just above the trans tunnel is O with a slash thru it. This sits on forward slash and 9E is written after the slash. Only about half of these marks I understand. Again none were visible until after blasting the KC car.

Old 08-16-2017, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
I was watching a show last night on the History channel about the rise of the auto. They got into the early union organization. At one point they showed guys on a sit down strike, scrawled on the door of a car in the photo was some lengthy message about the strike.

It crossed my mind that some restorer could find evidence of that under the paint of that car. Would he duplicate it?
I've seen marks that were lunch tabulations, cyphers to their bookie and love notes to ladies downstream. In fact, I've made a few cryptic notes of my own (if anybody ever tries to restore a 2016 G van THAT will keep them puzzled for a while).

The owner would have to decide on his own if he wanted to re-create that (much like finding "Linda" had signed your F car glove box).

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ighlight=Linda

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0926131038a.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	461321   Click image for larger version

Name:	0921131204a.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	461322  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-16-2017 at 04:01 PM.