THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by justincampbell View Post
It drives me up the wall when people make statements like this. Sure, some of us(myself included) cannot get the full potential from a manual trans in the 1/4. However, you find somebody who is really good with a 4 speed, and I'll bet on them any day against an auto.

Dave Strickler for instance
I just shared this quote the other day, but it fits here too:

Somebody said (I think it was Wally Parks): "If we had to drag race the Russians to decide the fate of the Cold War - I would want Ronnie Sox driving for the US".

He was just that cool under pressure, and that consistent, to warrant such a comment.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 07:52 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I just shared this quote the other day, but it fits here too:

Somebody said (I think it was Wally Parks): "If we had to drag race the Russians to decide the fate of the Cold War - I would want Ronnie Sox driving for the US".

He was just that cool under pressure, and that consistent, to warrant such a comment.

K

Old 11-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mr Sox was the boss.

That being said... I'll take an auto over a stick for drag racing any day of the week.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-19-2013, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Yeah... drop it in 4th and never touch the shifter again
FWIW - that may be true at Daytona.

But it's not the case at all of them. And I'm not just talking about the two road courses.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Senior Chief

I prefer a manual, but my left knee demands an auto.

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS Jeff Gordon Edition
2017 Dodge Challenger SXT Black Top Edition
Old 11-19-2013, 02:37 AM
Senior Chief

Sure old muscle cars come across as cooler with a manual, I personally don't get the "must have" factor or it's not worth owning or giving it a second glance deal.

I've had 10 fold more photos taken of my auto Formula in one summer than my 4 spd Vette had in the 5 I owned that. I say drive what you like, I like both, I prefer auto because I actually drive my cars daily.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC-ONE View Post
I've had 10 fold more photos taken of my auto Formula in one summer than my 4 spd Vette had in the 5 I owned that. I say drive what you like, I like both, I prefer auto because I actually drive my cars daily.
I rarely take pictures of Vette's - as they don't interest me - 4spd or not. A nice Firebird - manual or auto - would be 20 times more likely to attract my camera.

I don't think I'm that different from many other hobbyists.

I've had a manual as my daily driver many times during my 43 year driving history. In many cases - the new cars I've purchased would have been more desireable to me if they were available with a manual transmission. But here in the USA, it's hard to purchase a new vehicle with a stick - they just aren't offered.

Going to Germany for a vacation soon - I will be driving either a BMW 5 series or a Mercedes E series with a manual - by choice.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 67 GTO is a 4-speed and my 68 Firebird is auto. They both sit in the garage with their tops down ready to go. Both cars function perfectly. When I have an errand to run close by or in town, I find myself almost always choosing the Firebird. I generally choose the GTO for car related events or trips that involve more open road.

Although I end up driving the auto equipped car more often than the 4-speed car, I decided to go with a stick in my pro touring 70 Formula (T-56 Magnum). I see advantages to both an auto and stick, but my impression has always been, and maybe I'm wrong here, that stick cars command a higher price. I'm not building the Formula to sell, but given that I was so equivocal, it was a factor in deciding.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I've had a manual as my daily driver many times during my 43 year driving history. In many cases - the new cars I've purchased would have been more desireable to me if they were available with a manual transmission. But here in the USA, it's hard to purchase a new vehicle with a stick - they just aren't offered.

Going to Germany for a vacation soon - I will be driving either a BMW 5 series or a Mercedes E series with a manual - by choice.
I have only had a couple of auto equipped cars in my 40 yrs of driving. Boring, major snooze factor. So many advantages to a manual I'll never own another auto till I'm unable to drive a manual.

my current daily driver is a '06 BMW 5 series with a 6 speed. Great driving car. Great ergonomics. A bit over sophisticated for my tastes but a vast improvement over the crappy CTS I had before.

If I see I good looking car at a show the first thing I do is look for a clutch pedal, if its missing I continue on. Its like its missing its soul.

The Following User Says Thank You to klunker For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 01:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
If I see I good looking car at a show the first thing I do is look for a clutch pedal, if its missing I continue on. Its like its missing its soul.

Well now thats just silly.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, Klunker, that's pretty harsh.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So I guess when I've converted a stick car to an automatic I removed the clutch pedal and condemned the car to hell?

Being a little melodramatic here aren't we?

DA DEVIL MADE ME DO IT !!!!!
LMAO

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 11-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
So I guess when I've converted a stick car to an automatic I removed the clutch pedal
YOU DID WHAT?

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
The Following User Says Thank You to GOAT WHORE For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOAT WHORE View Post
YOU DID WHAT?
It's there in black and white, written in plain English, and I don't stutter, I converted more than a few Pontiacs from sticks to automatics. I saw the light and followed it and am never going back to a stick, newer technology, instead of old tired technology. Some of the cars were mine, and some belonged to customers, NOT ONE OWNER WAS UNHAPPY WITH THE RESULTS THEY ACHIEVED BY SWITCHING FROM A STICK TO AN AUTOMATIC. 100% satisfaction is hard to argue.

And yes I've converted auto cars to sticks, 2 speed T300s, 4 speed Super hydramatics to a T10, Slim Jims to 3 speed FOMOCO Dearborn, Powerglides to 3 speed Saginaws (probably a draw in that conversion), that were inferior designs to what is available now.

The old technology is iron D ports with an 068 cam and a 4 speed,5 speed, 6 speed manual transmissions, is that what you embrace?

New technology, aluminum heads, roller cams, electronic fuel injection, turbochargers and performance automatics with or without OD, welcome to the 21st century, if you dare.........................

People that insist that old automotive technology is better than later technology is exactly what holds Pontiac fans back behind the competition................

1984 Grand Prix

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Well now thats just silly.
no, its not, if you see a nice 72 TA at a show and the owner pops the hood. and what do you see but a chevy straight 6, how do you feel?
I feel the same way when a nice car is "dumbed down" with a auto.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
no, its not, if you see a nice 72 TA at a show and the owner pops the hood. and what do you see but a chevy straight 6, how do you feel?
Thats even more silly. Were talking about Pontiac powered cars that are sticks or autos. Obviously if I saw a 72 T/A with a inline 6 I would be confused.

If you put two 73 SD T/A's next to one another, ones a stick and ones an auto, you think the auto SD is "dumbed down"?

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-20-2013, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
As opposed to "smarted up" with a stick?
News flash, it doesn't take a mental giant to drive a stick, it only requires a extra movement with the left foot, if you can walk and chew gum you should be able to drive a stick. Plenty of challenged people driving sticks in the US.

BTW, the OP bought a 66 GTO with an ST 300 automatic in it, now if he changed it to a T 400 or a 4L80E, he'd really have something impressive.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 11-20-2013, 10:00 PM

well theres this: a stick is hell on drivetrains. at 21 i didnt mind changing u-joints.50-odd years later its a t400 will burnem at 70

Old 11-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinquapalian View Post
well theres this: a stick is hell on drivetrains. at 21 i didnt mind changing u-joints.50-odd years later its a t400 will burnem at 70
Exactly, much easier on drivelines and a modern automatic gives up nothing to a manual transmission. Also the Muncies and T10s would hold up reasonably well with skinny bias tires and usually under 400 HP. Bolt some sticky tires to the same car with an extra 100HP and you'll find how delicate the 4 speeds from yesteryear are. A T400 will laugh at those conditions time after time.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 11-20-2013, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only thing better than the 4speed is the 5 speed!Dropped the 455 with a Tremec 5 in my 69 bird today.Cant wait to drive it.Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread