THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is why the mortality rate will decrease.

Right now .... few people tested.
Example

100 people tested positive, in the hospital, 10 die ... rate 1/10

More testing finds another 100 people that are positive, didn't go to hospital, didn't die.
rate 1/20

Right now the rate is screwed up because all the people with the virus, that didn't get very sick, that didn't go to the hospital are not counted in the "infected" base number.

The rate is based on the KNOWN cases only, it's estimated that up to 80% never get tested, never go to the hospital because the symptoms are just not that bad for them. That 80% never gets counted, so it inflates the mortality rate because mortality rate is INFECTED divided by DEATHS.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 04:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lots to look at here...
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

Old 03-23-2020, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking Corona!!!!! Get him!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
... possible I had it.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:46 PM

I dont think anyone is trying to scare people. The fact is 90% + of people are going to be just fine, this covid-19 will par down one way or the other. The fact is with this shelter in place they are just trying to get people to stay out of the streets. The infection rates are almost doubling every few days, hmmm I wonder why Stay home people dont go walk around for no reason except groceries and gas. Look at Italy, people are still walking around even with their high covid counts. The hospitals are trying to avoid the grim task of deciding who gets a ventilator and who does not. There is just not enough equipment to go around if cases spike,which it looks like they will.
As far as the economy goes 2/3 of the economy is dependent on consumer spending so the Government is hoping you will go out and blow that money on a new flat screen TV. Kind of crazy our economy is that fragile but it is so go out and spend your money on crap, our economy is counting on you.
IMO the way I see it the shelter in place is not going to work and the economy is in big trouble. I believe the US is going to have to shift to plan B since most people will not stay home. That is the people that are most likely to contract Covid 19 is the older population. They will need to shelter in place and need a lot of help to get through this. The younger people will go back to work and probably contract the virus and build up a mass immunity. The problem is some younger folks will probably die as a result unfortunately.
I know a lot of younger people think they will be just fine but if you look at the younger folks who contracted covid 19 and ended up in the hospital. The younger folks are health care workers who have been exposed to the virus one to many times. That is why the shortage of PPE is so important to health care workers.
Good luck to everyone and this to shall pass, look out for one another it is going to be a bumpy road.

Old 03-23-2020, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lightbulb Checking In From Across The Country

Calling friends across the country ...

No one has contracted it - no one knows anyone who has contracted it - no one has knowledge of a reported case in their city or county.

The common sentiment I hear ...

This was engineered - directed - by China to weaken The West economically.

I hear that from educated business folks who have visited China as well as working folks who have never set foot outside their town.

Jim

Old 03-23-2020, 05:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The hospital my wife works at for our town of 32,000 .... not one virus patient. She says she's never seen it so slow, place is deserted.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:03 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Indiana was placed under a "shelter in place" order this afternoon by Gov. Holcomb that is very similar to the orders in place in OH and IL. It is in effect until 07 April. Checked in with my cousin, Ray(86 years old), to see if he and his wife needed anything. His cancer docs(Ray has lymphoma and has for years) told him to stay in period. In the local tri-county area(Clark, Floyd and Harrison) we have a total of 11 confirmed cases of COVID-19. The bulk of cases here in the Hoosier State are in Indy and its surrounding counties. Marion Co. (where Indy is located) had 111 confirmed cases as of this morning. Vanderburg Co. (Evansville...third largest city in the state) has ONE. Allen Co. (Fort Wayne....second largest city in the state) has two. There are several counties with zero cases.
The Evansville region area now has 19 per the local news awhile ago

Old 03-23-2020, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More info on how long it will live without a host..... Numerous links on Bing.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=how+lo...370c78ec5e6b5f

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonhunter70 View Post
The Evansville region area now has 19 per the local news awhile ago
That has changed this 10:30 this morning when I checked the INDH stats. Thanks.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2020, 08:24 PM
Senior Chief

I live 27 miles southeast of Columbus, Ohio. I’m a retired teacher (38 years)but my wife still
teaches, her school provides laptops for 100% of the student & the student population has a 95 % rate of internet access, she is able to actively monitor the students progress,testing... through using google classroom. When a student completes a lesson it pops up on her phone. My sister is in her late 50s& is in charge of housekeeping for one of OSU hospitals . They had at least 3 full blown cases of the virus, I just got word that she & her whole department are now under quarantine. She is waiting for her test results. It’s a scary thing for my family because my daughter is 15 years out from her heart transplant. The rejection medication suppress your immune system. My parents are both in their mid 80s . We are all trying to stay at home, soak hope you all stay safe & healthy , Mark/Cruiser

Old 03-23-2020, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
I dont think anyone is trying to scare people. The fact is 90% + of people are going to be just fine, this covid-19 will par down one way or the other. The fact is with this shelter in place they are just trying to get people to stay out of the streets. The infection rates are almost doubling every few days, hmmm I wonder why Stay home people dont go walk around for no reason except groceries and gas. Look at Italy, people are still walking around even with their high covid counts. The hospitals are trying to avoid the grim task of deciding who gets a ventilator and who does not. There is just not enough equipment to go around if cases spike,which it looks like they will.
As far as the economy goes 2/3 of the economy is dependent on consumer spending so the Government is hoping you will go out and blow that money on a new flat screen TV. Kind of crazy our economy is that fragile but it is so go out and spend your money on crap, our economy is counting on you.
IMO the way I see it the shelter in place is not going to work and the economy is in big trouble. I believe the US is going to have to shift to plan B since most people will not stay home. That is the people that are most likely to contract Covid 19 is the older population. They will need to shelter in place and need a lot of help to get through this. The younger people will go back to work and probably contract the virus and build up a mass immunity. The problem is some younger folks will probably die as a result unfortunately.
I know a lot of younger people think they will be just fine but if you look at the younger folks who contracted covid 19 and ended up in the hospital. The younger folks are health care workers who have been exposed to the virus one to many times. That is why the shortage of PPE is so important to health care workers.
Good luck to everyone and this to shall pass, look out for one another it is going to be a bumpy road.
The number of the infected is going to change dramatically with testing. Here in IN, 1,980 people have been tested with 259 confirmed cases. As more people are tested, I expect that number to go up, but I do NOT expect it to include every living person in the U.S.. If the last SARS pandemic is our historical precedence it will be roughly 13-15% of the population with a mortality rate of 1.3-1.5%. The last SARS mutation had a mortality rate of 10%.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2020, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

New Mexico is now under a stay home order unless essential.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is supposed to happen tomorrow morning a 8am here is Delaware. But I haven't heard of a confirmation yet.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 03-23-2020, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was just on Fox News that 2 on Death's door were cured by, of all things.... marijuana. One in Illinois and, one that we didn't catch, somewhere else. I hope it comes back on Fox News again to confirm it.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 03-23-2020, 10:54 PM
Senior Chief

And then the Chief said to Clean, Mr. Clean: .........."Stop smokin' that dope" !!

Old 03-23-2020, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
It was just on Fox News that 2 on Death's door were cured by, of all things.... marijuana. One in Illinois and, one that we didn't catch, somewhere else. I hope it comes back on Fox News again to confirm it.
Were their names, Cheech and Chong?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 03-23-2020, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
New Mexico is now under a stay home order unless essential.
Add one more to the list. Ours starts at 12:00AM Wednesday.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-24-2020, 10:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
The hospital my wife works at for our town of 32,000 .... not one virus patient. She says she's never seen it so slow, place is deserted.
My wife's BIL is a doctor. Here in Thunder Bay (100k people) he says he has never seen a hospital so empty/quiet. Usually our ER has 20+ people waiting for treatment. Now, zero people waiting - would rather suffer with their 'emergencies' than take a chance with the virus. BTW no virus here, yet.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 03-24-2020, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Isn't Ontario on lock down?? We have a few cases locally, but more in Vancouver at old folks home where ten have died, 20 or so care workers infected. close to 500 infected in the Province with 100 getting thru it. Not on lock down yet but stay home if not needed to go out. And social distance yourself, stay at least 6 ft away from anybody. Have to go out today to get meds, could be interesting, first time out in a week. Take care everyone. Hopefully this passes soon, we need to get the cars out soon.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My girlfriend was bad sick a little over a month ago. She said she never felt so sick. She went to the doctor after a few days. The doctor gave her anitbiotics. She was sick for about a week and a half even with the anitbiotics. We both think she had it. I did not get sick but felt like I was on the edge of it. I was chasing her around the house with a can of Lysol and wouldn't let her get close to me. At the time we just assumed she had the flu... but who knows.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Closed Thread