Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-29-2020, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Plug the oil filter bypass?

What’s the pros and cons?

Old 04-29-2020, 08:30 PM
Boost Engineer

If you have some filters like the old Lee Maxifilter you do not need the By-pass on the oil filter housing. One of the old HO Racing tricks.
Today I have no clue if it is a good idea or not.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Current GM circle track racing engines come with bypass plugged....FWIW.

Old 04-29-2020, 09:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How do you plug the bypass on a Pontiac. I know it’s in the filter adapter

Old 04-29-2020, 09:55 PM
Boost Engineer

This is based on memory from 50 years ago.
Take the filter housing off, look for the by-pass parts in the unit.
Remove those parts. Install a Allen head plug after you tap the
housing for the plug. Make sure the plug does not interfere with
remounting the housing to the engine. Install the gasket and a
proper filter designed for the modified housing.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-29-2020, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
How do you plug the bypass on a Pontiac. I know it’s in the filter adapter
Thought you were going with the dual remote setup?

Old 04-29-2020, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I suggest a search as this topic has been covered ad nauseam on this form.

'69 Firebird 400/461, 290+ E D-Ports, HR 230/236, 4l80E, 8.5 Rear, 3.55 gears
'64 LeMans 400/461, #16 Heads, HR 230/236, TKO600, 9inch Rear, 3.89 gears
'69 LeMans Vert, 350, #47 heads: Non-running project
Old 04-29-2020, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am going with the dual remote setup but it recommends setting the pressure relief from stock 11 to 30 pounds. You can buy a screw in device for a Chevy. No luck on the Pontiac. Gotta plug or nothing

Old 04-29-2020, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I am going with the dual remote setup but ...
So how are you able to retain the stock filter housing?

Old 04-29-2020, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The adapter screws to it

Old 04-29-2020, 11:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like a good question for the guy that built and warranties it.🤔

Old 04-29-2020, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He’s fine with me plugging it. Already asked him

Old 04-29-2020, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The adapter screws to it
Ah. The only ones I've seen either used a thick plate that replaced the
housing, or the hoses threaded directly into the block.

Plugging the bypass is simple. Unscrew plate. Tap hole for pipe plug.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It's an excellent way to crush the OEM filter media in the can hydraulically, especially with cold oil upon startup. The sad part is, unless you cut every filter apart, you'll never know the media was crushed filtering no oil whatsoever, it will all be going back to the engine unfiltered with crushed media in the can.

The HO modification blocking the by pass valve used the dual stage LEE filter because the LEE filters incorporated a bypass inside the filter. The standard Pontiac factory filter isn't designed to be used without a by pass in the oil filter adapter, there is no by pass valve in the standard Pontiac filter.

If you want to limit the by pass valve opening, the small coil spring that fits between the bypass valve and the metal plate that retains it, can be doubled up with another spring from a second filter adapter. That modification will change the opening rate from 12-15 PSI, to 24-30 PSI. I used to do this modification in my oval track engines. It still lets the by pass operate, but at a higher pressure.

If the dual filter system uses ford style filters, (many are designed to use ford filters) they have a by pass valve incorporated into them internally, making blocking the by pass valve inconsequential. I have no idea of what filters your using, as your direction changes as often as the wind does

Quote:
Current GM circle track racing engines come with bypass plugged....FWIW.
Probably an apples and oranges comparison.

Race engine, versus a street engine, that will be driven frequently, the OP says it will be a daily driver last I knew. The filter won't be changed nearly as often as the filter in a strictly race application. The oil pump in a SBC probably pumps half the volume of oil that a Pontiac pump does just by looking at the two pumps it's pretty easy to see the Pontiac has a much larger volume than a SBC. I still see no advantage of blocking the by pass valve in a Pontiac, or a chevy.

I would bet that the oil and filter in the circle track engine gets changed long before the media is getting saturated with debris, a street engine is on an entirely different maintenance schedule.

On a circle track engine, if you use a spin on filter, you're most likely using the long truck style filter, or a dual filter system. If you're using an Oberg, there is virtually no restriction using a screen to check engine health.

I don't ever recommend running any engine without some type of by pass valve in the oil system. The little bit of oil that goes around the filter is going right back through it in less than 60 seconds even at cruise speeds, much quicker at racing RPM. It's going to be filtered again as soon, as it returns to the sump, and is run back through the system again.
One other thing is the minimum size particulate that will pass through any full flow filter (30-40 microns) isn't what wears internal parts on engines, it usually is too large to fit between the machined fit. The real fine materials (5 microns to 15 microns) that can easily fit between the bearing and crank, are what does the bulk of engine wear. Pushing every drop of oil through a 40 micron filter still lets the fine matter continue to circulate.

How dirty is it going to get in that 60 seconds? If it's getting that dirty in less than a minute you have much worse problems than worrying about forcing every bit of oil pumped, through a full flow filter.

Probably not too many people are aware that the 4 cylinder Tempest slant 4 engine had a oil filter delete option on it until 1963. The filter delete plate is shown in this picture I have posted. With that delete plate you ran no by pass valve because there was no filter to clog up that oil needed a path around the filter. Of course this delete plate also will fit any Stratostreak V8 too.

Filter delete plate:

It was also thought that the delete plate could be used if an owner wanted to equip his car with a by pass oil filter, fairly popular at the time.

If you want clean oil, 100% of the time, filtered to a very high standard, in a street engine, the full flow filters aren't what is going to get the job done. Anyone have a guess what filter does?...................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 04-30-2020 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-30-2020, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I am using Baldwin B2 ford filters. Do I need to do anything to my bypass? Those filters or Napa’s/wix 51515

Old 04-30-2020, 01:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
It's an excellent way to crush the OEM filter media in the can hydraulically, especially with cold oil upon startup. The sad part is, unless you cut every filter apart, you'll never know the media was crushed filtering no oil whatsoever, it will all be going back to the engine unfiltered with crushed media in the can.

The HO modification blocking the by pass valve used the dual stage LEE filter because the LEE filters incorporated a bypass inside the filter. The standard Pontiac factory filter isn't designed to be used without a by pass in the oil filter adapter, there is no by pass valve in the standard Pontiac filter.

If you want to limit the by pass valve opening, the small coil spring that fits between the bypass valve and the metal plate that retains it, can be doubled up with another spring from a second filter adapter. That modification will change the opening rate from 12-15 PSI, to 24-30 PSI. I used to do this modification in my oval track engines. It still lets the by pass operate, but at a higher pressure.

If the dual filter system uses ford style filters, (many are designed to use ford filters) they have a by pass valve incorporated into them internally, making blocking the by pass valve inconsequential. I have no idea of what filters your using, as your direction changes as often as the wind does

Probably an apples and oranges comparison.

Race engine, versus a street engine, that will be driven frequently, the OP says it will be a daily driver last I knew. The filter won't be changed nearly as often as the filter in a strictly race application. The oil pump in a SBC probably pumps half the volume of oil that a Pontiac pump does just by looking at the two pumps it's pretty easy to see the Pontiac has a much larger volume than a SBC. I still see no advantage of blocking the by pass valve in a Pontiac, or a chevy.

I would bet that the oil and filter in the circle track engine gets changed long before the media is getting saturated with debris, a street engine is on an entirely different maintenance schedule.

On a circle track engine, if you use a spin on filter, you're most likely using the long truck style filter, or a dual filter system. If you're using an Oberg, there is virtually no restriction using a screen to check engine health.

I don't ever recommend running any engine without some type of by pass valve in the oil system. The little bit of oil that goes around the filter is going right back through it in less than 60 seconds even at cruise speeds, much quicker at racing RPM. It's going to be filtered again as soon, as it returns to the sump, and is run back through the system again.
One other thing is the minimum size particulate that will pass through any full flow filter (30-40 microns) isn't what wears internal parts on engines, it usually is too large to fit between the machined fit. The real fine materials (5 microns to 15 microns) that can easily fit between the bearing and crank, are what does the bulk of engine wear. Pushing every drop of oil through a 40 micron filter still lets the fine matter continue to circulate.

How dirty is it going to get in that 60 seconds? If it's getting that dirty in less than a minute you have much worse problems than worrying about forcing every bit of oil pumped, through a full flow filter.

Probably not too many people are aware that the 4 cylinder Tempest slant 4 engine had a oil filter delete option on it until 1963. The filter delete plate is shown in this picture I have posted. With that delete plate you ran no by pass valve because there was no filter to clog up that oil needed a path around the filter. Of course this delete plate also will fit any Stratostreak V8 too.

Filter delete plate:

It was also thought that the delete plate could be used if an owner wanted to equip his car with a by pass oil filter, fairly popular at the time.

If you want clean oil, 100% of the time, filtered to a very high standard, in a street engine, the full flow filters aren't what is going to get the job done. Anyone have a guess what filter does?...................
I know you like the Frantz filters but if you were running dual remote oil filters where would you mount them?

Old 04-30-2020, 01:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I am using Baldwin B2 ford filters. Do I need to do anything to my bypass? Those filters or Napa’s/wix 51515
It doesn't make any difference if you block the Pontiac by pass valve, the ford style filters will still by pass because they have a built in by pass inside of the filter.

According to a site called "oil filter data" the Baldwin B2 has an internal by pass valve. You're going to have a by pass valve if you use that filter, no matter what you do with the Pontiac by pass valve in the oil filter adapter.

This stuff is on the internet, you can look up nearly all the questions asked here yourself. I just did it.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-30-2020, 02:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Its not possible to shove all the oil through 2 filters let alone one filter with no by pass. Smokey U did a bunch of tests on it and came to that conclusion.If you want to take a chance on destroying your engine, go ahead, plug it.
There are reasons my 455 has lasted for 30 years of hammering it and no plugged by pass is one of them. Dan Whittmore told me not to do it, so I did not.
This current engine I am thinking about plugging my by pass but getting a KP high dollar cleanable filter with a by pass already in it.
Either that or leave it and run the same Nappa/Wix 1049 I have always run. If its not broke don't fix it as they say.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know I can find the information but I can’t find this. The ford filters have bypasses. If I block the bypass in the housing are the ford bypasses enough? If I don’t block the bypasses and the one in the housing opens at 11 pounds are the bypasses in the filters moot. To be honest I don’t understand how the bypass works in the first place. If you have 80 pounds of oil pressure but the bypass opens at 11 pounds then how does any oil get filtered anyway? There I skinned my ignorance