Old 04-24-2020, 09:41 PM
Senior Chief

Default Adding Power Locks

Has anybody added power locks to their car? I have searched the forum and I can't find anything. I have the assembly manual and a body service manual and there are no pictures or diagrams showing the placement of the actuators or a picture of the rod from the actuator to the door latch. The dash wiring harness has the wiring from the switch to a connector near the A- pillar. I have the schematic but I can't find the factory dash switch which is next to the defog switch. It does not seem to be reproduced by anyone. I am contemplating adding switches like the 78 and newer Firebird. The 77 and older uses a 3 pin switch and the 78 and up uses a 5 pin switch.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:45 AM
Suspended

I added them to mine. I used NOS original 78+ motors and rods but rewired to suit more modern central locking kit and leave off the door switches. The car can now be unlocked via key fob. My 78 also has a 77 style door shell, so the dimples for the brackets are different. I nearly started drilling without checking.

Here's a link to just the door install. Obviously, the forum guys found it worthwhile of my time to upload! *crickets*

https://www.78ta.com/HTAF/index.php?...6013#msg446013

Last edited by Aus78Formula; 04-25-2020 at 09:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aus78Formula For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2020, 07:17 PM
Senior Chief

Wow, thank you for that link. I have been trying to find a picture of the solenoid in the door. A friend of mine gave me 4 solenoids like yours from a late 70's B car wagon he parted out. I also got the big car spindles for the 1LE conversion from that car also. I am also going to use a keyless entry system but I am going to use one from a 1995 S/T Blazer. I have a Pontiac key fob from a 90's Grand Prix also. I was hoping to find an original or repo of the dash door lock switch but so far no luck.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:46 AM
Suspended

But I'm not the only one on here and doesn't answer your question either.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:55 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you for the help. I ended up buying some new actuators from AutoZone from an 1980 Firebird. Dorman makes them. No luck on the dash mounted switch, so I am going to put switches on the door panels like the 1978 and up Firebirds. I don't have the rods from the actuators to the door latch so I will have to make some. At least I now know how the whole set up is supposed to look like.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:03 PM
Suspended

No dramas at all, was keen to see what others had done also. Yes, early dash mounted switch is very rare and sought after now. Many universal motors also use universal rods, can be a little playing around to get the shape and length that works.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:06 PM

I looked far and wide for a replacement power window switch after the the factory switch crapped out on my 76 TA. As far as I can tell no one sells repros and used ones are rare. If anyone has a line on switches I'd be happy to know as well (I was able to open up the switch and repair the internals, so I'm good for now . . .).

I assume you have seen the threads about rewiring the power windows with relays? The factory set up sends all the power for the windows through the switch, which wears out the switch and reduces power available to the window motor. This may be less of a concern with all new wiring.

Are you replacing the door latch while you're in there? I recently replaced my driver's side latch and it's a huge improvement.

Old 05-19-2020, 11:21 PM
Suspended

The dash-mounted switch is for the power door locks. The power window switches of both variations are very common.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
Thank you for the help. I ended up buying some new actuators from AutoZone from an 1980 Firebird. Dorman makes them. No luck on the dash mounted switch, so I am going to put switches on the door panels like the 1978 and up Firebirds. I don't have the rods from the actuators to the door latch so I will have to make some. At least I now know how the whole set up is supposed to look like.
When the dash mounted switches come up for sale, the asking prices are usually over $175.00. They are hard to find. Last one I bought was on Epay.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 05-20-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
The dash-mounted switch is for the power door locks. The power window switches of both variations are very common.
Thanks, that's what I meant -- door lock switch. I'm working on my power window switch right now so I must have that on the brain.

Old 05-20-2020, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I disagree with that. Early window switches are very hard to come by. I can get a similar switch for late switches at Advance Auto. If you look in the car catalogs late models are cheap. Early are always way more money.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 08-20-2020, 12:05 PM

Old post but thought I'd throw out my build. I'm using the Year One door panels and wanted the pdl switches in the doors. Found a modern switch : black with chrome trim that look like the door .handle cups. Just forward of the pulls, I carefully cut holes for the switches to fit. Haven't installed in car yet, but to me they look real nice. For the actuators, I went the cheap route & bought a universal set. My doors have dimples that matched the mounting holes on the actuators.... really lucked out there. I put a positive wire in each door which will be for the pdl switch, remote mirror switch, etc...

Old 08-20-2020, 04:42 PM
Senior Chief

When you have the door panel off, you can see a nice recess in the sheet metal of the inner door where the switch will sit when the door panel is back on the door. I was working on my switch set up but decided to wait until the end of the season when I stop driving it. When I start again I will post pictures. I am putting the switches where the 77 and up switches go. I am also going to install a keyless entry with a Pontiac key fob. My car is just a plain jane 76 firebird so I am going to have fun with it.

Old 08-20-2020, 05:46 PM
Suspended

Feel free to disagree, Frankie, but you'd be wrong. The best reproductions that are GM licensed are the same price.
Not talking about the cheap quality rubbish that is designed to suit several models at once.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Feel free to disagree, Frankie, but you'd be wrong. The best reproductions that are GM licensed are the same price.
I was talking about an original switch used or NOS. This thread was talking about an original early dash mounted door lock switch.
Find an original early style window switch and compare prices. Now, its been a while since I was looking for an early style switch and at the time there was no reproduction "early" switch. This switch is from Year One. Look at the toggles on this one (right from Year One's website). Would you use that? What a piece of junk...

Click image for larger version

Name:	8458n_thumb.png
Views:	103
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	547623

Old 08-20-2020, 06:09 PM
Suspended

You're right, I wouldn't buy that either. And whoever took the pic should be out of a job just like whoever passed it at the quality stage.

Haha I just Googled it. They aren't the decent brand. Likewise, a NOS early switch in box came up that has matching wonky toggles.

Old 08-20-2020, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You're right, I wouldn't buy that either. And whoever took the pic should be out of a job just like whoever passed it at the quality stage.
My management style: I never blame the employee, I blame the person who approved it. lol As far as quality control...Home of Covid 19.