Old 11-14-2020, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Windshield color?

On a 67 GTO convertible with factory A/C what color is the windshield? Clear with shading at the top or green tint with shading at the top? The rest of the glass is green tinted. Thanks for any and all help.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Green with shaded upper section is correct for an A/C car, optional without A/C. Side glass was always tinted with A/C.

Old 11-14-2020, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default X2

What 400 4spd. said.

Green tint all around. Darker shade at top of windshield.

My non-air car was ordered with (Glass-Soft Ray-All windows) @ $30.32.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	157E98D9-E15F-4EA3-AF76-07B15712C239.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	553876   Click image for larger version

Name:	5DC202AD-EF66-4E20-A062-98973F6C90AC.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	553878  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 11-15-2020, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

400 4speed...my 67 AC car does not have tinted glass and I believe all the side window glass is original. I wish I had replaced it with the tinted glass when I built the car.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know my convertible had green tinted side glass but the windshield that was in it when I purchased the car was clear with top shading.

Old 11-15-2020, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Phil, I've heard of clear glass cars coming with a tinted/shaded windshield option, but not the opposite.
gtospieg, that is interesting. If my understanding of tint vs. clear use is true, I wonder if it (tinted) was a delete item on yours. Do you PHS papers for it? Never say never, I guess.

My non-ac car came with clear, but I'll be going back with tinted.

Old 11-15-2020, 08:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Phil, I've heard of clear glass cars coming with a tinted/shaded windshield option, but not the opposite.
gtospieg, that is interesting. If my understanding of tint vs. clear use is true, I wonder if it (tinted) was a delete item on yours. Do you PHS papers for it? Never say never, I guess.

My non-ac car came with clear, but I'll be going back with tinted.
This^^^. Both my '67 and '65 GTO's came with Soft Ray for the windhields, clear for the other glass. I changed the '65 to all soft ray 35+ years ago for $50. These cars just plain look better with soft ray in all windows, IMO. Most AC cars got the soft ray all around...have never seen one without. If your windshield is clear, it was probably replaced at one time, very common. All original soft ray windshields are green tint with heavier tint along the upper edge to varying degrees.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, looks like I was wrong about the glass that came out of my car. It is green tinted so that is what I will go back with. In case you are wondering why I am ordering a new windshield for my restored car, it is because I broke the one in it trying to remove the trim. I was down to the last clip at the top when the glass popped! In case you are wondering why I was removing the trim it was because I scratched the rear fender! In case you are wondering what the rear fender has to do with it, it is because when I took the car to the body shop I asked them about fixing a small blemish on the lower windshield panel while they had it to repair the scratch. They said that, at the least, the trim would have to come off and they were pretty sure the glass would have to come out as well. Below is a picture of the glass that was in the car when I got it back around 2005. So, if there are no more questions I will finish this post and get off here for a while!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3140011.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	554036  

Last edited by fyrffytr1; 11-15-2020 at 10:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fyrffytr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
Well, looks like I was wrong about the glass that came out of my car. It is green tinted so that is what I will go back with. In case you are wondering why I am ordering a new windshield for my restored car, it is because I broke the one in it trying to remove the trim. I was down to the last clip at the top when the glass popped! In case you are wondering why I was removing the trim it was because I scratched the rear fender! In case you are wondering what the rear fender has to do with it, it is because when I took the car to the body shop I asked them about fixing a small blemish on the lower windshield panel while they had it to repair the scratch. They said that, at the least, the trim would have to come off and they were pretty sure the glass would have to come out as well. So, if there are no more questions I will finish this post and get off here for a while!
Oh brother, that's painful! But we've all been there at one point, or will be.

I also cracked my windshield at the last corner when trying to remove it. In my case, I blame the car's previous owner and a poor rust repair that prevented the wire from cutting how it needed to. Still a bitter pill to swallow.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 11-15-2020, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So instead of cutting the glass out in a reasonable manner, they decided it needed to be shattered to oblivion in the process? Did they tape off the defrost ducts and speaker grill before they turned it into dust? How about the carpet and seats?
That windshield tells me a ham-fisted moron removed it.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2020, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So instead of cutting the glass out in a reasonable manner, they decided it needed to be shattered to oblivion in the process? Did they tape off the defrost ducts and speaker grill before they turned it into dust? How about the carpet and seats?
That windshield tells me a ham-fisted moron removed it.
I know that ham-fisted moron well! The windshield pictured above was removed by yours truly back around 2005.. It was delaminating so I didn't take care in removing it.
I also cracked the replacement when I was removing the trim molding Friday evening. I am removing all the trim in my shop before I take the car to the paint and body shop Monday. That way I can clean and buff it while the car is being repaired.

Old 11-16-2020, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
I know that ham-fisted moron well! The windshield pictured above was removed by yours truly back around 2005..

I've seen glass shop employees do the same thing, but they have the proper cutting tools. When I saw that picture I just imagined shards of glass all over your nice paint job!

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2020, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtospieg View Post
...my 67 AC car does not have tinted glass and I believe all the side window glass is original. I wish I had replaced it with the tinted glass when I built the car.
For a long time i thought Soft-Ray and A/C went hand in hand as perhaps a required option on A/C equipped cars of our vintage.
But it wasn't that way.
It was highly recommended , and most all dealer ordered and zone ordered A/C cars did get it.

Since the time i started getting more involved in Billing History Cards and Invoices from PHS, have seen about 4 or 5 A/C cars without Soft-Ray.
1 or 2 of them didn't even have a tinted windshield.

Would be hard to find those files now though, because i don't think i made a special notation about their glass on their file names.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 66 AC equipped LeMans is one of those that did not come with any SR glass.
I later added a replacement windshielsd with a Sunshade top.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
For a long time i thought Soft-Ray and A/C went hand in hand as perhaps a required option on A/C equipped cars of our vintage.
But it wasn't that way.
It was highly recommended , and most all dealer ordered and zone ordered A/C cars did get it.

Since the time i started getting more involved in Billing History Cards and Invoices from PHS, have seen about 4 or 5 A/C cars without Soft-Ray.
1 or 2 of them didn't even have a tinted windshield.

Would be hard to find those files now though, because i don't think i made a special notation about their glass on their file names.
I wasn't sure whether you were talking convertibles only, but my '67 hardtop factory A/C car doesn't have tinted or soft-ray glass. I've owned it since 1981, PHS documentation confirms.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A little trivia. Pontiac actually favored windshield-only SoftRay glass for press vehicles.
Clear side glass must have aided photography enough to warrant the consideration?
Dunno. Just something I ran across before, and actually managed to remember.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I own a 67 Corvette convertible with a/c and tinted glass. I have the tank sticker and a copy of the dealer window sticker, and it shows the Tinted Glass option as costing $15.80. A/C was $412.90. So I'm guessing tinted glass was a minimal extra cost item on GM cars regardless of a/c.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
A little trivia. Pontiac actually favored windshield-only SoftRay glass for press vehicles.
Clear side glass must have aided photography enough to warrant the consideration?
Dunno. Just something I ran across before, and actually managed to remember.
I've heard that also. It was told to me by someone that observed that my '74 TA had no tinted glass anywhere and not even the upper band on the windshield was tinted. It was a low option car, 455 with AM/FM, PS and PB only...Those last three may have been standard..Not up on that kind of trivia.

Old 11-19-2020, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I own a 67 Corvette convertible with a/c and tinted glass. I have the tank sticker and a copy of the dealer window sticker, and it shows the Tinted Glass option as costing $15.80. A/C was $412.90. So I'm guessing tinted glass was a minimal extra cost item on GM cars regardless of a/c.
That VetteVert only had 3 pieces of glass (not counting the body - haha)
is why it was so cheap.
67 GTO it was about a $32 option

Years ago i was of mindset that Soft-Ray was like a required option when A/C was ordered. And others also shared that mindset, Soft-Ray was just that predominant with A/C cars of the vintage.

Here are 2 of the examples of 67 GTO's with A/C, no Soft-Ray ALL , not even so much as a Tinted Windshield .

Soft-Ray does dress up these old cars real nicely
I like it in all of them

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	67 GTO HD Frame py Muslcah.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	554309   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 gto tyrol blue.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	554310  

Old 11-19-2020, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Corvette convertible

I’d say there are 5 pieces of glass that would be tinted on a drop top.

The optional hardtop may have also had a tinted back glass on an air condition car.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8D20147F-8B8D-4D4F-A8F9-43449534AC9F.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	554311  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
The Following User Says Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post: