Old 10-17-2020, 02:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Proper etiquette for self cutting nuts

Found a NOS Safari emblem for the wagon that has never seen a self cutting nut. Am I better off screwing the nuts on beforehand with the emblem in hand to cut the threads, or wait until it is slipped in place on the body. Seems like I could counteract the twisting a little better if it is in hand, but don't really know.

These are new, plain self cutting nuts without any seal - so do I use a dab of silicone or other sealant around the stud in the hole to seal things up or just install dry?

Old 10-17-2020, 03:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In general those types of fasteners are "one and done" the second time they are threaded on is inferior to the first time they are threaded on.

However I understand your meaning, being able to thread the nut on in hand, nice and straight is a plus that the assembly line did not enjoy.

I'd lean towards installing it on the first time, maybe get a helper to make sure it goes on straight the first time.

Old 10-17-2020, 08:18 AM

I used vacuum line on a Camaro grill emblem. Worked great. Just use a razor to cut it if removal is needed. Got the idea from one of the Camaro sites.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My preference is to cut the threads on the post first, for a couple of reasons. For one, when you install the emblem you know when the nut has bottomed against the surface, rather than having thread cutting tension all the way down and possibly stripping it at the bottom because you put that extra turn on the nut.
Secondly, I've seen thin script type emblems with multiple posts twist and distort on the surface because a nut was tightened too much. And never try to thread a cast stud with a pal nut meant for machine threads, a common mistake.
For a sealer I like 3M strip-calk.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Click image for larger version

Name:	2528B31E-163A-4A12-9928-169C733DF96A.jpeg
Views:	100
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	551693Yup...3M strip caulk here too...good stuff.....water will get in if yah don’t use it. As far as putting on the nut....just use a palm/ finger ratchet ...and just snug it up.

Old 10-18-2020, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In the past I have have used a cutting die and installed regular course thread nuts. Easier to control tightening and you can loosen them without breaking the little studs.

Old 10-18-2020, 01:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
In the past I have have used a cutting die and installed regular course thread nuts. Easier to control tightening and you can loosen them without breaking the little studs.
I do the same and then buy some nuts with built in washers so the look is similar.

Old 11-23-2020, 01:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Forgive the stupid question but how exactly is this 3m Strip caulk used? Does this go on the inside or outside?

Any pics?

Old 11-23-2020, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just apply some to the flange on the nut before spinning it on. Typically it will force some out when the nut seats to the surface.

Old 11-23-2020, 03:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

cool. Thanks for the info.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done a number of the script installs and ran a fresh nut on it 1st, then pitched the nut. final install I use a fresh nut, and strip caulk in the recess of the nut. Try to pick a nut for the second, perm install that has a similar look to it, if you get what I mean. The 2nd one may not go on perfectly, but just keep going anyway.

Buy a bag of the nuts. That way you're not locked into using one you got that is not very good.

If you have to drill the holes, obviously, use tape before you drill. But also lightly coat the opening with clear nail polish to prevent moisture from getting under the paint. This also works if you have to ream a hole due to paint build up.

I have tried threading the stud on a script before, but the stud is not a consistent diameter the length of the stud. It's either too thick, and a die will snap it off, or it gets thinner at the tightened end and the nut is loose. Also, all the cutting will weaken the stud.

Sometimes the script stud are just junk, and you snap a stud regardless of how you do it. Two options, 3M double sided foam tape, or if there's still a little stud left some weather strip adhesive.

The total fail option is a cussin' chuck into a circular, and buy a new one.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-24-2020, 03:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And almost time to dive in and use the suggestions. Wagon just got back from paint and now just have to get time to get all the parts put back on. Paint went from being a 25+ footer down to less than 5 and I'm happy. Still need the individual letters for "PONTIAC" that runs across the tailgate. Previous owner had some stick on letters that I won't put back on. Holes are all there for the individual letters so will be getting a lot of practice with two studs a letter once I find them.