Old 02-01-2019, 03:24 PM
Senior Chief

Default 74 GTO running lights question

I have a 74 GTO that was a bracket car, that I'm now putting back on the street. The original wiring is in ok shape, but some of it needs to be gone through.

When the the headlight switch is off and the car is running, I assume all the running lights should be off.

When the the headlight switch is pulled halfway, to the running lights position, which lights should be on besides the taillights? Rear quarter and front fender marker lights? How about the lights in the grill?

When the headlight switch is pulled on, Do all the same running lights stay on? Along with the headlights coming on, of course.

Anyone know of a 74 GTO wiring diagram available online?

Thanks.

www.lancablingsolutions.com
Old 02-07-2019, 10:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When you pull headlight out one click, you should have all running lights. Rear tail lamps, side marker lights, and lights in the grill. Pull all the way out all light including headlights should be on.

76 GP LJ 400 4BBL T400
78 Chevy 1/2 Ton Truck
Oh yea I love my wife very much
For some reason it got erased when I put it here last time!!!!!! hmmmmmmmm
Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you.

www.lancablingsolutions.com
Old 02-12-2019, 01:34 AM

I don't know of an online wiring diagram, but I have a copy of the 1974 GM Pontiac Service Manual and it has the foldout wiring diagrams in the back. Probably worthwhile investment if you have a significant redo on the car wiring. You can usually find a used copy on ebay for about $30.

Also, you can buy a nice color coded 11" x 17" laminated wiring diagram from Ames Performance. Part # M100AL - $16.00. El Monte slim posted this part from Ames a few years ago.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2019, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And if all else fails, I believe M&H wiring sells the wiring harnesses for the 74 GTO.