Old 07-01-2005, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*

there has to be something way wrong and there has to be someone out there to help me out with this, when i put the key(ignition) in the off position it seems that my electrical system still works, (i.e. head lights fan etc.) i installed an electric fan and i put the positive wire from it to the horn relay could this be the problem?

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 07-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Headlights will work even without the key.

I would use a relay for the fan, with the relay coil connected to the ignition circuit so it wold be off when the key is off.

Why don't you post your wiring diagrams or sketch your wiring and post so we can better see what's up. A picture is worth 1K words.

George

Old 07-01-2005, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i used this diagram for my fan wiring.
For wire 85 i installed a "Overide Switch" which is basically just a on/off for the fans ( i believe this is where my mistakes is???

As for the "Battery Pos" it is connected to the horn relay by the radiator.

For the "Ignition Switched" i put it to my fuse box where it says ignition fused. is this correct wiring?

I think i am supposed to put my on/off switched on wire 86 rather than 85 right?

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 07-01-2005, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What car is this on?

The relay circuit #'s refer to the typical Bosch relay markings..I will need to check the relay terminals when I get home.

I disagree with the note that 2 relays in parallel are needed; problem is the two relays will not work precisely at the same time. One relay will always be faster or slower than the other so one relay will take the full current load anyway, worst case is turning the fan on and turning the fan off, that's when the current is highest, and greatest chance or arcing the contacts, respectively.

If the printed relay connections are correct, the diagram looks fine, are you sure you are connecting to the horn relay for power?

george

Old 07-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

this is on a 67 firebird,
i dont believe i did it exactly exactly as the diagram, does the master on/off switch for the fans go on wire 85 or 86? I currently have it on 85, i believe this is the problem because wire 86 is connected to the fuse box and it will be getting charge the whole time. isnt it?

The major thing that concearns me is that fact that when i turn it off, it has electric gauges that says TEMP, GEN, OIL, and Brake, that are lighted which i believe are suppose to be off as soon as it is on off.

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 07-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Suspended

looks like each relay alone is not rated for the total amp draw of the fan motor. Would be better to get one big relay for the rating of the motor.

Old 07-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with George about the two relays. There's only one that's needed.

Double check your wiring because the schematic is correct on how that circuit should be wired.
The theory of operation is:
When the thermostat control OR the over-ride switch provides the ground to one side of a relay AND the ignition switch is on, that relay's coil will be energized and will "pass" the 12V to the fan.

Yes the ignition switch's 12V should be wired to 86.

(SOLD) 75 Corvette/L48 350 (LSx -4L60E one day)
--------------------------------------------------------------