Old 04-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone have information or knowledge on a tape player that could be ordered on a '69 Firebird and Trans Am:

Sales code option 412 'Stereo Tape Player'

Was this an add on Tape player (Cassette or 8 Track) or was it part of the existing radio?

A picture of this option, correctly mounted in a vehicle would be appreciated. Since it is stereo, I also noticed that a rear speaker could not be ordered with this option. I can only guess the rear speaker was mono?

I also posted this question in the '69 Firebird message threads but didn't get any responses.
Thanks, Greg.

Old 04-06-2004, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone have information or knowledge on a tape player that could be ordered on a '69 Firebird and Trans Am:

Sales code option 412 'Stereo Tape Player'

Was this an add on Tape player (Cassette or 8 Track) or was it part of the existing radio?

A picture of this option, correctly mounted in a vehicle would be appreciated. Since it is stereo, I also noticed that a rear speaker could not be ordered with this option. I can only guess the rear speaker was mono?

I also posted this question in the '69 Firebird message threads but didn't get any responses.
Thanks, Greg.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to 75TransAm

Actually, I believe the tape player code was 394/U57. I think the 412 was the AC. Anyway, I found this picture on the internet. Hope this helps.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stereo_tape_player.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	6646  

Old 04-06-2004, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jeff, thanks for that photo, it does help alot. The tape player in my Trans Am definately looks aftermarket, but what was interesting is the burlwood applique looked very close to the dash and console.

I'm sure this is a period correct aftermarket add on. I'm not sure whether to remove it or not, since it does work.
Thanks, Greg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	instrument_panel_gauge_cluster.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	8850  

Old 04-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

just sent you an email. sorry about the size as i am not a computer person and couldn't figure out how to post them here. the player pictured in the post above is either a 67 or 68 player. 69-72 used the same player as in the email i sent code 412 UPC u57. there is a harness which connects the player to the radio. there are different harnesses for the am and the fm radio. the are also three different brackets for the different vehicles they were mounted in . the console cars have a short bracket that fastens to the console itself. the others mount on the tranny tunnel under the dash and require a taller mount. the third kind is the grand prix mount which mounts it backwards in the console behind the drivers right elbow. the unit comes with a seperate balance knob which is why it came with a mono rear speaker , as the balancer balanced the front and rear speaker.they come up on ebay a lot but be careful of getting the correct mount and harness. if you need any more info or pictures let me know. i also have a repair manual for these.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

1970cat, thanks for sending the pic. That is very helpful information. I reduced the size of the pic to post for you in case others are interested in this information.
Greg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	8_track_small.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	11155  

Old 04-08-2004, 03:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to 75TransAm

Thanks, 1970cat. I wasn't certain the picture I supplied was the correct one or not, just that it was a code U57 tape deck. I'm glad you could get Greg the correct picture.

Old 04-08-2004, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Actually, the one pictured by 75 TransAm is a 66-68 style,with the four knobs. Tapered sides on the housing indicate GTO/LeMans or big car. The 67-68 Firebird used essentially the same unit, but with a square box around it and a console mounting plate.

The lower photo with two knobs on the left is the 69-later (until maybe about 72?) style, with variations on that unit used in other GM lines. The photo shows a LeMans/GTO console mount.

The one you pictured in your car is definitely an aftermarket piece.

PS on cassette players - they were introduced on Pontiacs in the 71 model year, and those floor-mount or console-mount units are quite rare and pricey for a guy that needs and wants one.