Old 06-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to *67firebird*
Default how do i install a temp gauge?

i was just wondering does the temp gauge come with a sensor? or how exactly does it work i just bought a alum radiator and i need to see the temp im running at, what kind of electrical wiring is necessary?

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 06-20-2006, 02:10 AM
Senior Chief

I'm assuming that you will be using an "electrical" gauge, although myself (and most of the other PY board members) prefer the mechanical gauges. They are more accurate. I only run an electrical oil temp gauge, just because I had no place to put the mechanical probe, as they are MUCH larger than the electrical ones.

Anyways, if you plan on using an electrical temp gauge, it's fairly easy to operate. You will have 5 wires coming from the gauge: positive +12, ground -12, sensor/sending wire, as well as another positive & ground for the lamp/light.

The sender should be included in the with the gauge, and it will simply thread into the intake, radiator, or wherever you decide to place it. The threads are usually 1/8 NPT or 1/4NPT. Then, all you need to do is run a wire from the gauge to the sensor, and that's it! Of course, connect the +12, -12, and leads for the light(s). Overall, it's not that hard, even if you have no wiring experience.

Old 06-20-2006, 02:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

question:

my bird came with the Electrical Dummy Lights gauges, do i disconnect the temperature one?

On the old intake (bought a performer,) the sensor has a single green wire coming from the firewall im guessing that was the sensor/sending wire, do i connect that wire to the new sensor, then disconnect the wire that connects to the old dummy lights and connect it with the new temp gauge, or would i be making a whole new circuit and just avoid the old stuff?

oh and whatss the diff between elec and mechanical gagues; i still dont get it???

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 06-20-2006, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Formula: how do you know the mech gauges are more accurate?

67: you can use the same wire as you suggest, or keep the light and add the gauge and wiring. You will need to find a suitable location for the second sender if you keep the the light.

George

Old 06-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default sender

George: what exactly do you mean that i would need to find suitable location? Is the sender a big wire? or is it because i would have to make a hole in the firewall?

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 06-20-2006, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Each sender needs to screw into the cooling jacket somewhere. If you have either a light or a gauge you can screw the appropriate sender into the standard location, either by the thermostat housing or head.

Some intake manifolds have a threaded port in the crossover near the thermostat, some heads I've seen have a port below the valve cover but above the exhaust manifolds. I put mine in the head.

george

Old 06-20-2006, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ok i got it now, im going to use the crossover location, i dont believe ive seen a port on my heads, but i will look just so I know. Thanks. Osvaldo.

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 06-21-2006, 02:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

well i got a little cheepy temp gauge at auto zone today. it has the + and - for the light, and a sender its got two probes, is that the + and - for the gauge??

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind

Last edited by *67firebird*; 06-21-2006 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-21-2006, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not counting the light wiring, a typical gauge should get a 12V ignition supply, and a wire going out to the sender.

George

Old 06-22-2006, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ok now im confused, i bought a mechanical gauge and the sender is in the water crossover and i grounded both the gauge ground and light ground together. what i dont understand is the instructions it says to wire the positive light wire to the "light dimmer" where is that and is it necessary? if its not necessary can i wire both the gauge and light positive wires to the source?

Performer RPM-850DP
Auburn- 3.55 gear
CC HR custom grind
Old 06-22-2006, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have a mechanical gauge, you should only have two wires, one ground for the light and power for the light. They are saying you should connect the light power to the dash light so you have dimmer control. It's the gray wires under the dash going to the dash lights. You certainly can connect the light power wire to the ignition circuit, but the gauge light will be on all the time.

George