Old 03-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Does this look like a restamp?

Looking at this distributor, but wondering if it may be a restamp. What do you guys think?
The 2's look different in the model number, but look somewhat the same in the date code. I know the date code it a little blurry, maybe I can get a clearer picture of the date code
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	distributor [2].jpg
Views:	222
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	278239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Distibutor[1].jpg
Views:	211
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	278240  

Old 03-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is how they were done. The distributors were produced in batches with the 4 number prefix completed. They were then sent to be finished and were stamped according to the use (dictating curve). Looks correct to me. Besides, restamped distributors are turned down on a lathe to remove the original stampings and the "cuts" in the housing are different than factory - these look correct.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
The Following User Says Thank You to 68gtoMN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I agree with 68gtoMN; it looks correct.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought about the "cuts" in the housing also, and it appears these are still here, I have always noticed the first three 1's looked different, and i figured that was like 68gtoMN said, that they were produced with those numbers as a standard prefix, and the rest were later on. I just though also the 2's in the date code looked different, but could just be because they are blurry. I was thinking they are correct, but just wanted other opinions.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know boys??? Makes no sense to me to do it for that model year. I would think they are pretty plentiful (1973 400 4BC not unitized dist.)
However take a really close look at the different (taller) font on the 3 and the 1 on the part number 1112231 portion. AND...look at the two different font 2's on the date code. I know that ain't right.
I ain't no expert though.

Pigeon Forge, Tn. Grand Rod Run Spring 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIuGvWWthA

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...d%20Run%202012

Son video'd this...
http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...a.mp4.html?o=0
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't think it's a re-stamp. The font/depth/clarity of those auto-stampers was not perfect. That loos like a typical production stamp to me.

I have seen "double-hit" stamps, chipped marker dies that leave less than complete numbers or letters, worn stamps that leave light impressions and many other variations. And I'm talking about what I saw in the manufacturing plants!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought some of the spacing looks weird between the 1112 and the 231 then the first 2 in the date code looks like an upside down 5. Just because the front of the 2 is so flat. I know an upside down 5 would be backwards. I am going to try and ask for a better picture of the date code.

1971455HO.... If you know of one or where to get one, let me know. I haven't been able to find one for a few years. Bought one off a member here and once I got it, looked like a restamp. Haven't looked at it in a while though.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know if this helps or not.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ht=distributor

Old 03-13-2012, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's been a distributor on eBay for quite a while with that date code.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68gtoMN View Post
This is how they were done. The distributors were produced in batches with the 4 number prefix completed. They were then sent to be finished and were stamped according to the use (dictating curve). Looks correct to me. Besides, restamped distributors are turned down on a lathe to remove the original stampings and the "cuts" in the housing are different than factory - these look correct.
X3 he nailed it!

I have a 118 with a magnetic pick up I installed in it back in 1982, I think it was pertronix.
if you need..

Last edited by Formulabruce; 03-14-2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:00 AM
Suspended

Default Stamps

You'd think if it were a restamp it would be a lot more perfect, but with this dist. it is correct, there is no marks where it was turned in a leath so it colud be restamped & the number spaceing is good, good as someone standing there for 8 hours stamping dist's can be. You forget they didn't use computers to do that stuff back then so even on the VERY best day the numbers aren't going to be streight in line with all the numbers being struck the same way & same depth. Just look at chalk marks on cars their done the same way & by the end of the day you probley couldn't tell an s from an l. So yes this one is probley an original stamping rolleyes:

Old 03-14-2012, 05:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
There's been a distributor on eBay for quite a while with that date code.
That is the one I'm looking at, listed for a 73 catalina but supposively came out of a 74 Lemans obviously not original to the lemans because of the date code.

Old 03-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi View Post
Looking at this distributor, but wondering if it may be a restamp. What do you guys think?
The 2's look different in the model number, but look somewhat the same in the date code. I know the date code it a little blurry, maybe I can get a clearer picture of the date code
These are not restamped pictures.. I have held freshly turned distributors, with numbers remonved, and they look different. If you ever buy a pre 74 Pontiac Distributor and all the numbers line up even, same font etc..then be scared..Otheres are coompletely correct about the prefix numbers being stanped with the unit originally, then at final assembly, what ever componants went into it, then the last 4 and date code was added.Most people here have not help 100's, yes 100's of Pontiac distributors in their hands. Take the good adviuce you have been given..there is nothing wrong with this distributor..

Old 03-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi
That is the one I'm looking at, listed for a 73 catalina but supposively came out of a 74 Lemans obviously not original to the lemans because of the date code.
I don't know. One of my '74 Formulas (10A) has this code (3C29)...

And, here is another for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11122313C.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	278327   Click image for larger version

Name:	11122312K.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	11.6 KB
ID:	278328  

Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
I don't know. One of my '74 Formulas (10A) has this code (3C29)...
Boy, I was looking for a date code like a 3C29. My car is a 04C with a carb date of March 22, and an alternator of 3D4. The engine code is D093, that is why I thought of something like a 3B or 3C.

So do you think a 2J20 wouldn't be too early for that engine date, or what date range do you think would be correct?

Thanks,
Pepi

Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 1112118 date of 1F24 ( it is a Pont 350 dist)

Old 03-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
I have a 1112118 date of 1F24 ( it is a Pont 350 dist)
What is the build date of car and or engine?

Thanks,
Pepi

Old 03-17-2012, 04:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi View Post
Boy, I was looking for a date code like a 3C29. My car is a 04C with a carb date of March 22, and an alternator of 3D4. The engine code is D093, that is why I thought of something like a 3B or 3C.

So do you think a 2J20 wouldn't be too early for that engine date, or what date range do you think would be correct?

Thanks,
Pepi
Pepi...this is a myth that different componants of your car must line up with a nice clean 2-3 month date window.. If only GM was that efficient in the early 1970's with their supply chain. Perfect example, the majority of the 1970 RA distributors were stamped in July 1969, even with vehicles manufactured as late as July 1970.. SO , as long as you have componants stamped before the build date, and they are the proper model year piece, then you are fine. Did some vehicles come with all the parts dated in a nice tight window, without a doubt some did, but very few fit in this catagory.

FWIW< the majority of cars came with mismatched dated JW or KR wheels, much to most collectors dismay.. We see collectors searching for months, paying exhorbitant prices to get a perfectly matching dated set of wheels.. Don't waste your time.. Just get parts that were stamped before the build date of the vehicle..

Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I have learned

To me this is BIG

Thanks Pepi for making this post. After following this along I realize I was flat out full of it for thinking the irregularities were a clear indicator of things not right or possible tampering.
Between Formulabruce, 70RAlll & Norwood I am convinced your distributor is authentic, genuine and unmolested. I stand completely corrected and much better educated. I will be cautious from this point on to only comment to that of which I absolutely know to be true.

This a great site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll View Post
These are not re-stamped pictures.. I have held freshly turned distributors, with numbers removed, and they look different. If you ever buy a pre 74 Pontiac Distributor and all the numbers line up even, same font etc..then be scared..Others are completely correct about the prefix numbers being stamped with the unit originally, then at final assembly, what ever components went into it, then the last 4 and date code was added.Most people here have not held 100's, yes 100's of Pontiac distributors in their hands. Take the good advice you have been given..there is nothing wrong with this distributor..
More from 70RAlll: Pepi...this is a myth that different components of your car must line up with a nice clean 2-3 month date window.. If only GM was that efficient in the early 1970's with their supply chain. Perfect example, the majority of the 1970 RA distributors were stamped in July 1969, even with vehicles manufactured as late as July 1970.. SO , as long as you have components stamped before the build date, and they are the proper model year piece, then you are fine. Did some vehicles come with all the parts dated in a nice tight window, without a doubt some did, but very few fit in this category.

FWIW< the majority of cars came with mismatched dated JW or KR wheels, much to most collectors dismay.. We see collectors searching for months, paying exorbitant prices to get a perfectly matching dated set of wheels.. Don't waste your time.. Just get parts that were stamped before the build date of the vehicle..

Pigeon Forge, Tn. Grand Rod Run Spring 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUIuGvWWthA

http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...d%20Run%202012

Son video'd this...
http://s223.photobucket.com/user/fas...a.mp4.html?o=0
Old 03-17-2012, 11:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

70RAIII wrote: "Pepi...this is a myth that different componants of your car must line up with a nice clean 2-3 month date window.. If only GM was that efficient in the early 1970's with their supply chain. .... Did some vehicles come with all the parts dated in a nice tight window, without a doubt some did, but very few fit in this catagory."

70RAIII, you are absolutely correct.
I worked at various GM facilities from 1974 through 1995.
There is not a specific "window" by which component parts would pre-date the assembly date.

Depending on option penetration, production lot sizes, shipping schedules, warehouse and line-side storage practices, proximity to supplier shipping location, material shortages and a number of additional variables, you might find parts on a vehicle that were manufactured as much as a year before the vehicle build date.

On the other hand, it is possible for a vehicle assembled at the Pontiac assembly plant to have an engine with a casting date that precedes the vehicle assembly date by as little as one week. I've never seen one closer than that, but I wouldn't claim it is impossible.