Old 06-21-2007, 10:48 AM

Unhappy rusty fuse block , now what do i do ?

i have a 69 GTO convert , no air , no power windows . my fuse block is really rusty. does anyone have any suggestions ? i have looked into painless wire fuse blocks . has anyone used the 12 circut block from painless?

thanks Jim

Old 06-21-2007, 02:08 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pontiac1976 Send a message via AIM to Pontiac1976 Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiac1976

Well that one way to do it . But if it's rusty that means the window or fire wall bye the cowl vent is letting water in, or your seal on the out side letting water dip on the engine side. The dop is gone or got a few spot that water geting in. That or is was leaking in one of them or more before you got it.
You could try getting another what ever side of the bulk head fuse box you need maybe both. Try to replace the wires and end's these all un clip from the plastic square part, just trying to find some wires or the ends. GM still sell's some. There are a few other after market companys that remake some of the clips on the wires. Now what you can if you can not get the a few clips and you find some used good ones solder them on the new wires or on your good wires. Then pop them back it. This will be a fair bit of time to do, you will have to do wire checks rerote wires check wire diagrams find out what is what learn how to pop out the end clip with out braken plastic holders to the connection.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On a rusty fuse block you have few options, I would get a brand new reproduction dash wiring harness from M&H Electric. THat way everything else will plug-in. The dash harness is the main heart out of all of the wiring in your car.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You could try emery cloth to clean up the terminals. If it was me, i would do as Pete said, buy a new harness from M&H wire fabricators and be safe.

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 06-21-2007, 04:07 PM
Suspended

Kate, i just went threw what you are, ok?? And ya, its expensive but take a few moments and call M& H FAB. talk to Tom, super guy, let him tell you a few horror stories like he did to me, rusty fuse boxes, old wiring, spliced wires, ya i had it all, he hooked me up with a new harness with a few mods that where super. Tom helped me with any questions had. Ok, for 450.00$ sounds alot now, but when everybodys cruising and you have your fingers crossed hoping nothing catches fire it not a good filling. Invest the money now, im finding a way to pay for mine, somehow, just make it happen, period!! Good Luck with your 67
Mr. Pontiac
Rich

Old 06-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67cruiser
Kate, i just went threw what you are, ok?? And ya, its expensive but take a few moments and call M& H FAB. talk to Tom, super guy, let him tell you a few horror stories like he did to me, rusty fuse boxes, old wiring, spliced wires, ya i had it all, he hooked me up with a new harness with a few mods that where super. Tom helped me with any questions had. Ok, for 450.00$ sounds alot now, but when everybodys cruising and you have your fingers crossed hoping nothing catches fire it not a good filling. Invest the money now, im finding a way to pay for mine, somehow, just make it happen, period!! Good Luck with your 67
Mr. Pontiac
Rich
Rich:
I replaced every wire harness in my car 2 years ago front to rear. For 1.5 days work and $1000.00 in harnesses that includes shipping . Nothing like peace of mind touring .
Scott

If you always do what you always did
You always get what you always got
Old 06-22-2007, 03:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is M&Hs website. As said above, Tom is a very knowledegable guy and the owner. He really makes quality stuff and is more than willing to talk! Jim

http://www.wiringharness.com/

Old 06-24-2007, 02:48 AM

I had a similar situation and replaced the fuse box with one from M&H which includes the main wiring harness. Remove the kick panel and have someone hose down the the left windshield to look for leaks. Mine was coming from some old caulking on the top of the firewall on the driver side. I had to remove the left front fender to repair it.