Old 05-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazytrain View Post
I'm up in Knob, Ar, how did you do during the ice storm? We lost power for 3 1/2 weeks. Thank goodness for our generator. I will keep posting and hope it helps someone else. Everyone has been great with all the help and I do so appreciate it very much God bless. I do have a few small gaps where the shroud should be touching the rad on the bottom and sides gonna try to fix those up next, thanks to GEOFF for that one too. Will also try the timing bump up but I did that to 16 before I asked for help and it made no change kinda worse but I'll try the 18 and and put it back on the port vacuum to see what happens.
We were real lucky, only lost power for two days and I have a good generator...southern part of the state faired much better than your area. Just a another .02, I would give the rad. a good flush even if it "looks" clean..you really can't tell what's stuck in/on the passages in there.

I just flushed my goat last week and installed new thermo. s. and 60/40(coolant). The flush water looked one hell of a lot more dirty than I expected.

I used a trick I learned last year for the flush, and it works well.

...drain system, fill with clean water and add 2 1/2 tablespoons of dishwasher granual soap(I used Cascade). Let it run for about 20 min....drain, do it again...then flush with garden hose while it's running with the drain open for about 5 minutes or until you see nothing but clear clean water expel. Then fill-up with your desired combo of coolant.

It's cheap and only takes an hour or so

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by performerrpm View Post
i think a good clutch fan is in order, ive never had a flex fan pull enough air to keep anything cool, at idle they dont pull in much air at all because of the design of the blades - idle isnt fast enough- and at highway speeds they straighten out and probally act as a barrier keeping the fresh air from coming in and going out, seems they really only work good from a high idle to maybee 3000 rpm, i tried one on my 400, then the 350 in my truck and temporarily on my 455, never was they succesful in keeping temps down, only bennefit is that they look cool
I on the oherhand have had the best luck using the factory or similar flex fan. Just make sure theat the fins of the fan are 1/2 way into the fan shroud with half of the thikness out. The factory Power flex fan was used in all performance applications and did a fine job. Not saying that the clutch fans dont work, I just like the simplicity of the flex fan as there is no clutch to wear out.
Heres a link of my 12 second mild 400 with one. It never gets past 175 but usually stays around 160-170 if Im no sitting in miles of traffic on a hot summer day. Thats usually when it creeps up to around 175!! My 3 others run about the same. I had a 3 core radiator in it until my convertible radiator started leaking so I bought the aluminum generic one off the internet for like $140 and put the 3 core into my convertible and the aluminum one in this on. It didn't change the coolant temp as it didn't need to be any cooler and the thermostat is a 160.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuq-3...e=channel_page

Old 05-12-2009, 07:22 PM

Thanks I'll try the flush can't hurt right. Gonna be a few days til I get to work on it again . Got some things around the property that need tending to. Got to keep momma happy so I can spend money youknow LOL . Thanks again to everyone

Old 05-12-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixt8bird View Post
I on the oherhand have had the best luck using the factory or similar flex fan. Just make sure theat the fins of the fan are 1/2 way into the fan shroud with half of the thikness out. The factory Power flex fan was used in all performance applications and did a fine job. Not saying that the clutch fans dont work, I just like the simplicity of the flex fan as there is no clutch to wear out.
Heres a link of my 12 second mild 400 with one. It never gets past 175 but usually stays around 160-170 if Im no sitting in miles of traffic on a hot summer day. Thats usually when it creeps up to around 175!! My 3 others run about the same. I had a 3 core radiator in it until my convertible radiator started leaking so I bought the aluminum generic one off the internet for like $140 and put the 3 core into my convertible and the aluminum one in this on. It didn't change the coolant temp as it didn't need to be any cooler and the thermostat is a 160.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xuq-3...e=channel_page
Thanks for to info. The car sounds great. Looks like it has much potential.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:04 PM

Default Some times it's the simple things

Hey all that help me out with great info just wanted to update my progress. Things just didn't seem right after trying a few things. So I bought a new gauge a Summit digital gauge and one of there sending units for it. Well I took it out today( 84 degrees) and on the open road it stayed 160 in town it got up to 178 and cooled back down to 160 back on the open road. I'am very happy to say the least Some times its the simple things. Thanks again everyone who helped me out.