Old 12-28-2009, 10:35 PM
Suspended

Default Newer car heat problem

Ive got a problem with my everyday that Im just not sure what to do. Its a 2002 Chevy Impala ( think Bonneville ) . A couple of weeks ago I lost setting no.1 on my blower motor . Not long after I lost setting no.2 . Now Ive lost setting no.5 leaving me with just 3 &4. I wanted to replace the blower switch but was told I would have to buy the complete dual climate control panel for around $250. Before I go and spend this money I just want to make sure that the switch is the problem, as we have all found out at one time or another....... NO REFUND ON ELECTRICAL PARTS. Could it be anything else ? Ive heard of something called a "resistor pack " could this be the problem . I know its not a Pontiac, but whatever money I spend on the Chevy , wont be spent on the Pontiac. So you could consider this as Pontiac related if you look at it as helping to make sure the right part is purchased for the Chevy, leaving more money for the Pontiac.

Dan

Old 12-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

More than likely is the blower resistor or blower module as GM likes to call it sometimes ( depending on the system). It use circuits from the switch to put power through different resistors to limit power to the motor, making it turn at different speeds. They do have a tendency to burn out with age, also water leak play havic with this part. usually located beside or close to the blower motor.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Suspended

Thanks .... I will look into that. I think you are on to something. I lost the first and second speeds on the fan the morning after I ran it through a car wash.

Thanks again

Dan

Old 01-03-2010, 11:03 AM

chevy's are pretty notorious for this. They usually sit on or very near the blower moter case undr the glovebox. The ones I have bought have been 50 to 75$