Old 07-11-2013, 12:40 PM

Default Erratic Start

I have a 428 in my '64 Lemans Convertible. I have had some issues with trying to start the engine. Sometimes it will start right away and other times not at all. It has HEI and everything on the top of the distributor (including the cap) is brand new. I do know that when it does not start there is no spark at all. Verified by removing a plug wire. I crank on it four/five times then there is spark. Verified by getting zapped by plug wire. Then she will start. I'm thinking maybe the pickup coil because that is the only thing that has not been replaced since I got the car a few months ago. Thoughts? Thanks

Old 07-11-2013, 01:42 PM

Default starting

had similar issues...replace the ignition module and the coil...double check all connections

Old 07-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would check to make sure you have 12 volts at the HEI when it's in the no start condition. A bad ignition switch will easily mimic the condition your describing. If the ignition switch is original there is a good possibility the contacts are worn out and making intermittent contact.

One other thing sometimes overlooked when converting an older points type car to HEI is not removing the resistance wire from the coil feed circuit giving you a little more than half the voltage an HEI system needs to operate properly. Starting a cold engine requires as much voltage as an ignition system can make and if it's only got 7 volts to start with instead of 12 your not going to have a good hot spark.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 07-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thing to try when you get a no start....connect a jumper from the bat directly to the hei.

George