Old 01-28-2003, 04:44 PM

hi fellas I'm new here and was reading some of the stories.I thought I would tell you what I had at one time and let slip thru my hands. I used to race a 62 catalina (348 hp 4 spd). I had it sitting in front of my shop and this guy came in on his way home from work and ask if I wanted to buy another one. I ask him what it was. He said" a63 catalina sd". I'm thinking yea right. This was in 74.I went to look at it that nite and put a magnet in my pocket. The car was back in a field. I was shocked ,the magnet didn,t stick to the front end (hood, fender, cowel or bumper )and the frame was all full of holes (not rust either).He said he wanted $600 for it. He said two other guys wanted it but they wanted to put a chevy eng in it and run it on the street. I told him I would love to have it but i only had $300. he said it shouldn't be on the street so i could have it.I took it home , rebuilt it painted it and got to take it to the strip one time (12.10 @ 110mph). the bad part is, I had a family crises and had to sell it. I tried to get it back but you know how that goes.

Old 01-28-2003, 04:44 PM

hi fellas I'm new here and was reading some of the stories.I thought I would tell you what I had at one time and let slip thru my hands. I used to race a 62 catalina (348 hp 4 spd). I had it sitting in front of my shop and this guy came in on his way home from work and ask if I wanted to buy another one. I ask him what it was. He said" a63 catalina sd". I'm thinking yea right. This was in 74.I went to look at it that nite and put a magnet in my pocket. The car was back in a field. I was shocked ,the magnet didn,t stick to the front end (hood, fender, cowel or bumper )and the frame was all full of holes (not rust either).He said he wanted $600 for it. He said two other guys wanted it but they wanted to put a chevy eng in it and run it on the street. I told him I would love to have it but i only had $300. he said it shouldn't be on the street so i could have it.I took it home , rebuilt it painted it and got to take it to the strip one time (12.10 @ 110mph). the bad part is, I had a family crises and had to sell it. I tried to get it back but you know how that goes.

Old 01-28-2003, 10:40 PM

I would have gotten ride of the family to keep that car J/K.

Old 01-29-2003, 07:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You have any pictures of the car bndtexas?

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/rpk76/1979.htm" TARGET=_blank>79TA455
</A>

Old 01-29-2003, 11:25 AM

I think I have one befor and one after I painted it. I'll see if I can find them.The fellow I sold it to ,I believe lives in conway Ohio. The guy I got it from was Bill Johnson, and he said he bought it from royal pontiac when they parked it to run the gto's,and that it was run one season. I contacted nhra to see which class I could run in, and they said, not stock or superstock because there were only 12 madewith swiss cheese and aluminum. There was 1200 mi. on the odometer.,I put it on the scales at the track and it weightwas 3410 (without driver)

Old 01-29-2003, 05:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've got another story similar to yours. Back in the early 70's at the height of the oil crisis, my best friend called me to tell me that his 16 year old son, who was looking for a car, came home and told his Dad that he had found a 62 pontiac that he wanted to buy for $250.00. The only thing that concerned the boy was that the owner told him that it had an aluminum front end and two 4 bbl. carburators. My friend, knowing what the car was and concerned for the boys well being, told him that under no circumstances could he buy that car. This was told to me about a week after it happened and I got the number of the man selling the car. When I called him He told me that he still had the car but it was sold, but I was welcome to come by to look at it. It was a light blue car and was an honest to goodness super duty. That was my one and only chance to buy a Super duty Pontiac

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Pre1964Pontiacs.html

Old 01-29-2003, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In mid 60s when I was in Washington, DC there was a newspaper ad by a dealership for two (2) Pontiac race cars ( a 62 Catalina and a 63 Tempest) both for $4,000. I mentioned this to Bill Blair a few years ago and he said those were probably both Super Duty cars. He seemed to know the cars. Likewise in DC, about 1963 there was a 57 Boneville for sale at a service station for $1,000.

P.S. Didn't somebody have a custom made aluminum frame for a 62-63 type big Pontiac for sale at the POCI convention in Charleston last year?

Old 01-29-2003, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Doug,PJ Heck has the alu SD frame.Tom

Old 01-29-2003, 08:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the late 60's I raced a 62 grand prix, 389 tripower 4 speed car. My sister ruined in when I went into the army and it was sold before I came home in 73. I promply bought a 67 gto which I raced. IN 1974 or 5 I saw an ad in the YOungstown vindicator for a 62 Pontiac Grand Prix for $2500. After talking to the guy on the phone he disclosed that this was a race only SD car. Having seen Arlen Vanke run his SD at Quaker CIty just outside of Youngstown, OH. I was very interested. The seller lived in Girard Ohio-just off of Church street only about 25 minutes away from me. Went to see the car and it was amazing.
He should me 11.60 time slips. Car was blue and
he said it won the 1966 AHRA nationals-never did verify this. The main problem I had was a
lack of funds! After discussing this situation he indicated he also had a 63 sd swiss cheese car-no motor or trans for $400. Never did go look at it. At the time I didn't realize how rare they were! Oh well life is full of regrets and I think about both of those cars often.