Old 01-29-2000, 02:18 AM

This is Bob again with some questions about a72 gto optioned car. From my books this car should have a 400 or 455 it appears to have a 350 engine. Did someone change the front end or am I misidentifing this engine. It has 7H1 heads like my 350 in my 72 conv.Maybe My books are wrong and a350 could be ordered.Also my info says a72 sport conv could not be ordered with a GTO option front end,is this true? thanks bob

------------------

Old 01-29-2000, 02:18 AM

This is Bob again with some questions about a72 gto optioned car. From my books this car should have a 400 or 455 it appears to have a 350 engine. Did someone change the front end or am I misidentifing this engine. It has 7H1 heads like my 350 in my 72 conv.Maybe My books are wrong and a350 could be ordered.Also my info says a72 sport conv could not be ordered with a GTO option front end,is this true? thanks bob

------------------

Old 01-29-2000, 03:35 PM

Bob, Don't confuse the T-41 "Endura" option with the actual GTO option, code W62. The GTO option was only available on the 2-door sport coupes (2D27), and 2-door hardtop (2D37). It was NOT available on the convertible (2D67). The GTO option included the 400 4-barrel engine, HD 3-speed floor shift, G70x14 blackwall tires, dual exhaust with side splitters, Endura front end, rear stabilizer bar, and GTO identification. The only two engine options with the GTO package were the standard 455 (Y-code), and the 455 High Output, or H.O. (X-code).

The T-41 option, or "GTO nose", was available on ANY LeMans, any body style, regardless of engine option. So your 350 LeMans may have come from the factory looking like a GTO. Also, your 350 LeMans Sport convertible could have been ordered with the T-41 Endura option. Sometimes it is referred to as the "GTO Appearance Option".

I hope this clears things up for you.

Old 02-07-2000, 08:49 AM

I've got a 72 Lemans Sport Convertible with a 400/4bbl, Muncie 4 speed with Hurst Shifter, rear stabilizer bar, dual exhaust w/chrome splitters, a/c, p/s, and 15"x7" Honeycombs. I don't have the original build sheet, and was wondering if somebody was just trying to make a believable GTO clone, or if they could have ordered all the GTO options without the actual GTO option. There aren't any holes from LeMans emblems (even when down to bare metal, no weld spots or anything), btw. Any help?

[This message has been edited by OrbitGTO (edited 02-07-2000).]

Old 02-07-2000, 09:51 PM

hey orbitgto
I was just going to ask Dan Jensen about the 72 conv options. It sounds like you have every thing on this 72 conv except the endura nose is that correct? My original sales brochures do not list a t-41 option,only a GT option code 332-upc-wu2 on the conv , and this does not include the endura front end,only dual exhaust,gt decals,ralley ii wheels,3speed. The GTO options were only offered on the coupes and hardtops. These were GTO option code334-upc-w62 and if you bought that option you could buy option code704-upc-ww5. Iwould like to know more about this t-41 option because I have a coupe with the endura option I bought for parts ,but I only want to use i.t if it was an option on the conv.Thanks Dan ,orbit,etc

------------------

Old 02-08-2000, 07:39 PM

Bob and Orbit,

Yes, you could order the T-41 "GTO Appearance" option on a convertible body style. Again, there were no GTO convertibles made in 1972. That made a lot of potential buyers mad back then. But many ordered their LeMans convertibles with all the necessary equipment that made them as close to being GTOs as possible, except in name only. I have a good friend near here that did just that. He ordered his triple white LeMans convertible with the T-41 front end, 400 4V, 4-speed, gauges, Formula wheel, Rally IIs, G70x14 white lettered tires, firm ride and handling package, and of course, power steering and power disc brakes. I know I'm leaving something out, but it was a well optioned car, as close to a GTO convertible as the order sheet would allow. The car was delivered without any LeMans emblems fastened to the body, just as you have found with your car Orbit. But the car didn't say GTO anywhere either. Inside, the dash was LeMans trimmed, that is, it didn't have the engine-turned applique around the dash switches.

BTW, you could get the GT option with or without the T-41. I have documented proof (invoices) of it, contrary to what some PMD info states.

Old 02-10-2000, 12:33 AM

I seem to have left out that this car DOES have the endura front end. When I purchased it, it had an aftermarket repop spoiler, and I've since added Judge stripes (sorry "originality" guys, I just like 'em). Another question: does anybody make a reproduction chrome splitter like those found on the '72 GTO? Mine need rechromed (expensive) and nobody around here will do it for a reasonable price.

Old 02-11-2000, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hey guys, I have a 72 lemans GT conv. with the endura option AND the 455ho,auto, this is PHS documented,1 of 5 (in the process of being restored) the guy who originally ordered it tried to make it as close to a GTO as possible, it is highly optioned w/ ralley gauges,in-dash tach, ram air, posi, console, custom sport steering wheel, unit ign.,am -fm, handling package,power disc, ect... sounds like he was trying to get as close to a gto as possible with a convertible, I wonder why he just did`nt get the "t-41" option hmmmmmm!??