Old 09-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is the wonderful thing about having the original owner (Enrico) just a phone call away. And he has a "photographic memory and obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to his cars" (his quote, not mine) :-)

He installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge in 1973 and there was a T in the oil sender line. The original sender unit went, when the mechanical gauge was installed.

The throttle spring has some paint residue on the ends. I will have to look at my other photos to see if they are any better.

As for the master cylinder, do you have an example of the stamping I can compare it to, and the location?

That is 100% the original exhaust system per Enrico. He confirmed by the photos. He especially loved the fact that in 40 years no one has tried to readjust the chrome tips that he pointed outward, from the way the car was delivered on 07/31/73. When the car arrived, the tips were pointed toward each other, much more than they should have been. He loosened them up and put them where they are today. (I actually tried to readjust the passenger side tip yesterday so it wouldn't vibrate against the quarter panel, but it is permanently attached to the pipe.)

Here's a couple close ups of the headpipe mounting flanges. Those nuts haven't been touched in 40 years. (Jeez, that's a punchline waiting for a joke...)

The Following User Says Thank You to njsteve For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.forums.maxperformanceinc....d.php?t=547864

Old 09-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, when I enlarge the photo I can see that there is a stamped number on the front port but I'll need a magnifying glass to get it. I'll check it out tomorrow.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the assembly drawing for your speedo cable retainer.
And, a '74 assembly manual for the LS2 exhaust. As you can see, 4-26-73 they changed the drawing. So maybe near the end of the build in '73, they left the resonators off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpeedoCableRetainer.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	336908   Click image for larger version

Name:	1974FirebirdSheet8C10.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	336910  

Last edited by Held for Ransom; 09-15-2013 at 11:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Held for Ransom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 06:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My former 73SD TA Auto had the earliest VIN i have come across so far - still had original pipes from manifolds to muffler.
Muffler and tailpipes and chrome extensions were replaced in early'ish 80's with NOS from over the counter .
According to orig owner .

No resonators on the car. fwiw

Also had the big orange G on differential - i wondered how/why/when it got there

Old 09-16-2013, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
Did you find any stampings on the master (where the hard lines go)?
Here is a photo of the stamped code/ Looks like CS3190.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	master cyl code.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	336954  

Old 09-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

CS is the application (pick code would be on build sheet. And maybe a sticker/decal.) 3 is the year (1973) and 190 is the day (July 9th). Master was assembled on July 9th, 1973.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool! That corresponds with the "CS" paper tag on the master cylinder retaining wire as seen in the earlier posted photos.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, that was the original, I thought it was the replacement picture.

How many clips were welded to the bottom of your air cleaner base and did you find a date stamp on it?

Old 09-19-2013, 06:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The reproduction New York license plates arrived today. 956-LYS was the plate originally issued to the Enrico when the car was new. I still have the very first registration from the stack of registrations through the years. www.licenseplates.tv reproduces any plate for around $85. They do really nice work.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was finagling with the original carb tonight and found this oddity in the fuel inlet. I have never seen a check valve in a filter cartridge before. The replacement Delco filter just has a paper gasket on the end. This rubber seal and check valve was pressed into the inlet of the original filter. It takes some serious pressure to unseat the valve. Was it an anti drainback valve?

Old 09-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I remember seeing something like that back in the day.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
I was finagling with the original carb tonight and found this oddity in the fuel inlet. I have never seen a check valve in a filter cartridge before. The replacement Delco filter just has a paper gasket on the end. This rubber seal and check valve was pressed into the inlet of the original filter. It takes some serious pressure to unseat the valve. Was it an anti drainback valve?

Steve.. that filter with a check valve is a newer filter. I have a couple bought from AutoZone that have that check valve, original ones did nothave that, they just used a piece of paper.I always cut the nipple part of the check valve off and use the rubber seal piece in place of the paper seals that come with rebuild kits.. I believe someone put a new filter in at some point Steve..could be wrong about using those in 1973-doubt it though, but know for sure the new ones I buy have that valve..

Old 09-20-2013, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default check valve

Steve- I just replaced the fuel filter in my 72 (clogged) and it had a check valve as well. We used these in the 70's when I was in Buick service. They also came in the new Buicks from the factory. They were designed to prevent fuel leakage and fire if a car 'flipped over'.

The Following User Says Thank You to RamAir For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 06:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I started as a Auto/tech in 79 and remember those being in 70's GM cars. I'm not sure of when they started using them.

The Following User Says Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70RAlll View Post
Steve.. that filter with a check valve is a newer filter. I have a couple bought from AutoZone that have that check valve, original ones did nothave that, they just used a piece of paper.I always cut the nipple part of the check valve off and use the rubber seal piece in place of the paper seals that come with rebuild kits.. I believe someone put a new filter in at some point Steve..could be wrong about using those in 1973-doubt it though, but know for sure the new ones I buy have that valve..
The new one in the AC/Delco package just had a paper gasket and no check valve.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a companion thread to this one over at Yenko.net in the Pontiac section. I want to give a big thank you to Yenko.net members "KevinW" in NJ, who found the Milwaukee craigslist ad for two NOS tires, and "67442" (Paul) in Wisconsin who then proceeded to play the middleman and run down to the seller's shop and pick up the tires for me and then wrapped and shipped them to me. I now have a full display set of 1973 date coded Firestone 500 Radials.

The original spare (in the middle) and the two original tires (on the left) from the car are date coded the 18th week (late April) of 1973. The two NOS tires on the right were produced during the 25th week (mid June) of 1973, which makes them all perfect for the late July built car. And best of all they all have the unique, early 1973 white Firestone shield logo which was discontinued in late 1973.

I also got a tip from Paul on how to get rid of that white waxy stuff on the tire surface that no solvent would remove. Paul said it was the original mold release material that outgasses from the rubber over time. He recommended using a hair dryer to melt it and to let it soak back in. I used a heat gun set on low and whodathought but it worked great! I would heat the stuff and it would instantly melt into a glossy liquid which could be wiped away. Then another application of heat and the remainder would soak back into the tire!

Here is the original spare before:

And after using the heat. (disregard the white in the treads, that is tire dressing that hasn't soaked in yet)

Last edited by njsteve; 09-20-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And before you ask...there is no way in hell that I will be driving on these tires. The recalled Firestone 500 Steel Radials are known to explode while just sitting, on display. There are several first hand accounts of Corvette owners experiencing these tires self destructing while stowed in the underbody trunk wells of mid 1970's Corvettes.

The car will be on display at the Musclecar and Corvette Nationals (MCACN.com) this November. I will be bringing them with me to mount on the car when we arrive. I won't chance the car jouncing in a trailer for 800 miles on these tires. They are like hand grenades with loose pins.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I rebuilt the original 7043270 carb last night. All of the jets and metering rods were the factory installed pieces. No one had messed with the internals. I installed one of Cliff's accelerator pumps, and high flow .135 needle and seat assemblies. Threw on some new gaskets and replaced the float which swelled and was wedged in the down position. So I was rather glad I opened the carb up to check how things were inside, after all. Also all the screws were barely tightened - I guess the gaskets shrunk after 40 years.

She runs great! It's hard to keep any traction when hitting the gas from a standing start!

Old 09-22-2013, 03:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

SHHHHHHH, everyone be very quiet....he's fitting Firestones onto the car!!!!!! lol.

1960 Laurentian 283
1963 Laurentian 283
1976 Trans Am 400
1977 Trans Am 400
1951 Chieftain Flat head 6
1967 Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Firebird 400 coupe
1979 Trans Am 403
1971 Formula 455 (clone)
1969 Firebird 350
1968 Firebird 428 manual.
Sydney, Australia