Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-27-2019, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Something like...

“1963 tempest tube chassis car great drag racing project includes Mickey Thompson sportsman tires drag star wheels a narrowed 9” ford rear end 4 link rear sway bar and wheelie bars. $2,500”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02936189-7045-4AC2-A3C8-2FDB7B995FB6.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	518787  

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 08-27-2019, 01:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacMatt72 View Post
Something like...

“1963 tempest tube chassis car great drag racing project includes Mickey Thompson sportsman tires drag star wheels a narrowed 9” ford rear end 4 link rear sway bar and wheelie bars. $2,500”
That is the funniest thing i've seen in a LONG time...A little history on that Lemans...That is THE car that I was building when I talked to Hot Rod in 1999...I did the chassis work that is in it...After my wife died, it sat in my garage until I sold it to a friend...He put it in a storage complex where he worked, with the agreement that I could buy it back if he ever decided to sell it...Well, he ended up with cancer, so I bought it...We then found out that it had been sent to the scrap as an "abandoned" car on the property...We searched for over a year, and I finally started on my 2+2, only to find it was sitting in a guys garage...

I talked to the guy, and he informed me that the guy running the complex SOLD it to him, for 500.00(he had a bill of sale for it)...He offered to sell it back to me for 2000.00 since he had painted the cage, and put wheels on it...I went to get it, and suddenly it had 4 junk rollers, and he said that the wheels didnt go with it...I left it at that point, and washed my hands...

I was telling one of my friends about this thread, at LUNCH today, and he said the old Lemans would be a good candidate for this project...We walked back into the shop after lunch, I clicked on this thread, and the picture at the very top was my old Lemans...How ironic.

Old 08-27-2019, 03:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in for what ever I have that could be used..

Old 08-27-2019, 05:20 PM
Suspended

Honestly the idea is great.. I dont personally have the time to put it all together.. it would be great if we could find someone to head it up.. maybe someone retired... once the ball is moving, it can not be dropped! I have access to a CPA to answer any and all questions and do some of the business end leg work free of charge... he is in.
We live in a digital age... organizing and pulling this off with everyone spread out is not an issue...
Any takers? It will be time consuming in my opinion and the one to head it up will need to be all in...there is no half assing this..

Old 08-27-2019, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post
I was telling one of my friends about this thread, at LUNCH today, and he said the old Lemans would be a good candidate for this project...We walked back into the shop after lunch, I clicked on this thread, and the picture at the very top was my old Lemans...How ironic.
Well, it’s for sale in shepherdsville, KY apparently. (Facebook marketplace ad)

Old 08-27-2019, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’m willing to contribute to “the cause” in some capacity. With a full time job and a kid (my first) on the way, I’m not a good candidate for “project manager”. I’m young enough and able to do some of the labor, and willing to contribute financially and with some parts donations.

I see this realistically as a two year project...one year to sort it out and begin planning and gathering parts. Another year to build and test.

Two years (Aug 2021) would be the 30th annual Pontiac Tri-Power Nationals in Norwalk.

Old 08-27-2019, 10:04 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Well, it’s for sale in shepherdsville, KY apparently. (Facebook marketplace ad)
Yeah, i've seen it on there...Its only about 20 or so miles from me...

Its a mild steel round tube from the firewall back(about 80% done) with a 9" ford and a 4 link...I still have the new axles for it here, and a bunch of the trim...I pulled the front of the roof down 3/4", and planned to bring the upper windshield rail down another 3/4"...

I just got irritated over the fact that he knew(he admitted it) that somebody was looking for it, and still wanted to make 1500.00 on the deal...It became a principle issue for me...

Old 08-27-2019, 10:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I’m willing to contribute to “the cause” in some capacity. With a full time job and a kid (my first) on the way, I’m not a good candidate for “project manager”. I’m young enough and able to do some of the labor, and willing to contribute financially and with some parts donations.

I see this realistically as a two year project...one year to sort it out and begin planning and gathering parts. Another year to build and test.

Two years (Aug 2021) would be the 30th annual Pontiac Tri-Power Nationals in Norwalk.
It all would depend on the style of build...If we took a 67-69 Firebird, caged it and put a suspension and rear end under it,...You could easily have that part ready in a few months...People would differ on opinions of the engine combo for sure...

In my opinion, the car would have to be capable of running in the 8s in order to get the attention that it would deserve...I know there are plenty of nitrous combos that can run that fast, but the reliability would come into play(if trying to do it with a low budget build)...I'm not sure about a Procharged combo...I do know that a turbo combo could do that with minimal effort, and be plenty reliable...Either a decent single, or a small pair would get the job done...

All of this would be based on what the intended goal really is...If we want something that will demand attention, then its got to be reasonably fast, and built to surprise...We could show that you do not have to use the latest and greatest, in order to be fast and fun...The proper parts, and quality build, combined with success on the track and Drag Week, would surely provide a worthy auction price...

It wouldnt be re-inventing the wheel, it would simply be using things that have been proven to work for years.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom vaught could probably come up with a turbo setup based on a 406 in short block with d port heads that would make good power and be highway friendly.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree the turbo route would likely best suit this project. Tom V. is a knowledgeable resource in that department.

Old 08-28-2019, 12:15 PM
Senior Chief

What is the lightest body, that we realistically could obtain for this? I'm thinking it should be an older body, to stay more aligned with the Pontiac tradition.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:49 PM
Senior Chief

Astre body

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 08-28-2019, 04:32 PM

All the hard work is done. Drop a motor in and go.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=821503

Old 08-29-2019, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Noble idea, the only way I see something happening is someone donate a street legal car, preferably running, with a 8.5 cage in it. Then it would have to go to a willing person...persons that had the means to store and trailer it to the track, if need be....and the biggie, have and take the time to thrash on it. All the while....it takes $ to maintain and fuel it.

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds