Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-19-2020, 08:19 AM

Default Let’s put our heads together

I have heard if you run heater hose from the back of drivers side head to pass side head and then to heater engine will run cooler. Is this true? Would try it if results help. Thanks

Old 09-19-2020, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i looked into this mod awhile back, from what i read i dont think it is to run cooler, its to cool both heads more evenly & not have one head cooler/hotter than the other.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct. On other brand engines they make intake manifolds specifically for this purpose with pipe threads front and rear so coolant can be transferred evenly throughout the heads, keeping all cylinders more even temperatures throughout.
Could be beneficial for those of us that push the pump gas limits with compression but I've never found a need to do it. I'd assume any little bit would help though.

Pontiacs would be pretty easy to do that as well with access to the rear coolant plugs on the heads. Don't know if you would really need to run them to the front though. Side to side might do the trick.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 09-19-2020, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

This is a crucial modification of ford mod engines, especially of the terminator variety because of what formulajones eludes to. when pushing the boundaries, even cooling becomes more critical.

Based on how a coolant system works, doing this modification isn't going to cause the engine to run cooler. That will be controlled by the amount of heat the engine produces, the thermostat in use and the heat exchanger/coolant capacity to shed that heat.

What you're doing is making sure that you don't have a couple cylinders that are burning hotter than others which can mess with your tune if you're on the edge. For a primarily street driven cruiser, I don't think I'd bother. If you're running on the edge of detonation with pump gas, it may be worth looking into.

Old 09-19-2020, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Kind of similar principle to what GM did with the LT1 engine of 92-96 era with it's reverse flow cooling, putting the coolant through the cylinder heads first, then the block. At that time I think the compression on those was 10.5:1 which during that period was considered quite a bit for a mass produced production engine designed to run on the cheapest fuel people could find.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE