Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-20-2020, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It has probably been mentioned, but when talking about Snap-on tools, keep this in mind. They can be brutally expensive but don't have to be. Many of my students buy Snap-On tools at pawn shops, on E-bay, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist. Typically, they are paying 25-35 cents on the dollar for high quality tools which puts them just slightly higher than the new Chinese junk you can buy at retail.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2020, 09:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of times, it is not that the threads are rusted but that the nut is rusted to the line itself. Spray the PB or Kroil in between the line and the nut, as well as into the threads.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:19 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
What I've done before is to use both - put the flare nut wrench on the fitting, and then clamp the Vise-Grip onto the wrench end. It will keep the flare nut wrench end from slipping, and you avoid tearing up the nut with the Vise-Grip.
Same deal here. The flare nut wrench should not grow in diameter as you apply force. The vice grip pliers really help with keeping the flare nut wrench securely around the nut. Last thing you want to do is bugger up that brake line part.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:42 AM

I've had the same thing happen to me, wound up buying new lines. The vise grips may be the only option left to get it loose. From my experience, when it's that stuck, the flare nut and line are often corroded together. So if you do get the nut loose, it will twist the line too.