Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McQueen View Post
Boosted/EFI here as well. FAST box, XMI (coil on plug), cam sensor, crank sensor, etc. April-May Dyno trip.
What did you do for a cam sensor?

I hear the hot ticket is to run the LS reluctor wheel and XFi for LS. More granularity on pulses per rotation.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-01-2012, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since its a coil on plug setup, no need for a distributor. So we bought a BOP oil pump drive that comes with the front mount distributor setup and it will be modified with the addition of a hall effect pickup. Its currently under construction, so no pics. But it will be small and simple.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:28 AM

yes.. start a new efi section...

Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default surprised

Actually suprised they have not added 1. This thread was over 6 months ago. I have to agree a dedicated thread for EFI would really help out in looking for that info.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McQueen View Post
Since its a coil on plug setup, no need for a distributor. So we bought a BOP oil pump drive that comes with the front mount distributor setup and it will be modified with the addition of a hall effect pickup. Its currently under construction, so no pics. But it will be small and simple.
I didn't realize BOP was making the oil pump drive plug. I have coil on plug but left a dummy distributer in with vr sensor until a better solution came up. I'll look out for your progress on this. Too bad BOP didnt put in a sensor already.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWYSTR455 View Post
What did you do for a cam sensor?
I hear the hot ticket is to run the LS reluctor wheel and XFi for LS. More granularity on pulses per rotation.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My engine guy is gently nudging me to leave the oil pump drive 'as-is', and put the cam pickup in the custom timing cover he is fabbing to cover the BOP belt drive. Mount the magnet on the cam sprocked and the pickup in the cover. Would be easier and cost far less. Im about convinced to let him go that way. He's been right about everything else so far.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be interested in an EFI section as long as it was predominantly a retro fit kinda thing as opposed to the later model stuff.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 07-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After nearly a year and 67 posts on the fuel injection section....I think it is safe to say we can put matters to rest. 12 months and 67 posts appartently is not enough interest for the moderators.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I too would love to see a specific efi forum.

I just got my 2011 camaro pump, so will be cutting up a brand new stainless tank to get out mounted.

I am also building a oil pump drive/ cam position sensor. I did consider and still may use, the now empty hole where the mechanical fuel pump used to be.

I have the drawings, and it would be very easy to machine a poll gear in place of the fuel pump eccentric. Then a very simple block off plate housing a hall sensor.

The only issue I have with it is, I want to use standard off the shelf parts in case of a roadside failure. For this reason, I am still working on my oil pump drive setup first. Maybe, I'll get more ambitious down the road.

Dave

Fishing guide in the Washington state for Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. Fish-On!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U View Post
I am also building a oil pump drive/ cam position sensor. I did consider and still may use, the now empty hole where the mechanical fuel pump used to be.

I have the drawings, and it would be very easy to machine a poll gear in place of the fuel pump eccentric. Then a very simple block off plate housing a hall sensor.
Oooh, I wonder if the fuel pump eccentric could be used directly as the cam sensor! Rotate the engine such that the high point is facing the fuel pump openning, thread a hall sensor into a block off plate (angled towards the cam) until it touches the eccentric, then back off a hair. Or find an OE sourced hall sensor that has a long nose and make it fit a block off plate, such that it picks up the top of the eccentric and loses signal on the back side of the eccentric.

Dodge uses a half moon disc for it's cam sensors on the 318, and the principle would be the same only a shorter singal interval. I don't know how other ECU's would handle it, but the MegaSquirt would probably work perfectly off a setup like that as long as the timing chain or something doesn't screw with the signal. Just needs one pulse per 720* of crank rotation. Definately has given me something to think about for possibly another engine, or even the OHC six.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 07-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
Oooh, I wonder if the fuel pump eccentric could be used directly as the cam sensor!
The simple answer is yes. Especially with a gear tooth type hall sensor.

But, I want a sharper rising and falling edge. A very simple flat tab with a 90 bent into the end will work. Possibly cut off material on either end of the polled area to create loss of signal. BTW, the Chevy Vortec dizzy uses a poll gear arrangement as well. It's another one to look at.

I actually have a modified front cover that also works, but it's not as simple as the fuel pump block off. It requires precise positioning and the possibility of cam trust can affect the min/ max free air tolerance. The easiest answer is the oil pump drive/ sensor. All in one, wiring to the rear of the block. This is why I considered the Ford Explorer sensor. Again, easily accessible to replacement parts and cheap to boot. The hard part is grafting the pieces together and I have attempted to source some dizzys for this purpose.

I will be machining the parts at work, but I am trying to come up with a dirt cheap, DIY for the masses method of doing this.

But at hand, Where's our EFI specific forum?

Dave

Fishing guide in the Washington state for Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. Fish-On!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

EFI needs its own section....

Kris.

Old 03-10-2013, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, I think an exciter wheel with teeth could be laser or water jet cut, installed where the fuel pump eccentric used to be. If you put a tang into it it would key into the cam. You would have to bring the diameter up large enough so an off the shelf sensor would reach. You would have to use a block off plate with an angled tube welded on for the sensor to slide into and capture an "O" ring to prevent oil leakage. Just my take on it.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 06-13-2013, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

An EFI section would be great!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Suspended

EFI, please. I don't want a carbed, boosted engine.
I came from the Z world a decade ago where an efi boosted 240Z was common.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:39 PM

Default EFI

I just purchased a Powerjection 3 unit myself this week with future plans to boost also and will be exploring that area more these next few weeks before install it. Very helpful guys at professional products on their site i see forums where they tweak peoples maps for them to download into their units to help cure any problems they may have.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I gots 2 thoughts about EFi & optimal mixture:

1: Just how superior is the MSD FI system (PWM fuel pump control !!) compared to ALL other kits?

2: I like the idea of an O2 sensor kit for mu carb application(s) to monitor/ log mixture during the 1/4 mile run or driving. NO feedback to the carb needed...HIS

Old 08-12-2013, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The PMW control had done distinct advantages depending on how it is configured. Basically, you can reduce the duty cycle at low fuel demand periods. This of course allows for a pump that is not driven as hard and cooler fuel. Also, you could possibly use different pressures to allow for a longer injector duty cycle at idle and raise the pressure at WOT to reduce duty cycle for high rpm.

So, basically, the fuel pressure becomes part of the tune. Now I really expect all this is to facilitate a dead headed fuel system for this efi system.

The O2 sensor is a handy tuning tool. Every engine seems to like something different, but at least you have a bench mark to tune from. Check out 14point7.com. I use a setup from them for my megasquirt.

And speaking of megasquirt, even a cheap ms box can data log and with a wireless bluetooth adapter, can send logs out to a virtual dash with any gauges you want to a smartphone or tablet. Heck, you could even stick with a carb and gain ignition timing control. Lots of possibilities. I am sure other systems can perform in a similar fashion, just not sure of the cost.

Dave

Last edited by Fishin2Deep4U; 08-12-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Pump is not spelled P-I-M-P!
Old 08-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How about they just change the name of this sub section to "restomod" or "pro-touring" Get some more sponsers to show up and answer questions about products. Lump it all together with aftermarket suspension, efi, boost, LS engines, 5/6 speed swaps, vintage air, big wheels, big brakes etc until it gets a big enough following, then seperate them out if needed. I'm willing to bet it would draw a good crowd. I would be here daily. There are a lot of guys on the PT.com board that are building Pontiacs and lets be honest, this is the direction a lot of guys are going anymore. The only rule would be no bashing. We all know the Poncho world is full of some hardcore purists and bashing would ruin it before it started.

-1967 GTO HO Restomod. PKMM 433ci, SilverSport T56 Magnum 6spd, Moser 9", SC&C and a bunch of other pro touring goodies

- Build Thread
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...615847&page=23
Old 08-13-2013, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U View Post
Heck, you could even stick with a carb and gain ignition timing control. Lots of possibilities.
Brian Rock's GTO is setup that way.

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)