Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Closed Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
That's why you use mechanical fuel injection.

A couple of Toilet bowls and you'd be like, why didn't I do this 20 years ago.
(best thing I ever did was going to the Toilet bowl)

True dat. I prefer my Birdcatcher (with hat and port nozzles for easy tuning by cylinder). If you go with Toilets, I have one I'll sell you cheap.

If you Google Ron's Fuel Injection (or Killer Ron's), you'll find detailed directions on setting them up with a Roots blower.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 11-01-2019, 11:42 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
True dat. I prefer my Birdcatcher (with hat and port nozzles for easy tuning by cylinder). If you go with Toilets, I have one I'll sell you cheap.

If you Google Ron's Fuel Injection (or Killer Ron's), you'll find detailed directions on setting them up with a Roots blower.

Jim
Thanks, I’m looking into everything!

GTO George

Old 11-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Suspended

Well KRE just sent me an e-mail they found my wrist pins, i guess i had the wrong PN. they check my invoice from 2007 found the correct PN......OOPS! I just need to mic my bores so I can order pistons and rings, can't wait for 2020 racing season!

GTO George

Old 11-20-2019, 01:35 PM
Suspended

OK a quick update...............KRE has got my wrist pins and shortly I'm going to mic the cylinder bores to see if there is any abnormal wear then ill have KRE order my pistons and Gapeless Rings.

GTO George

Old 11-21-2019, 06:23 PM
Suspended

I cant wait togged my engine back together and make some laps on it! It ran a 7.98 on a SH_TTY pass.....spun the tires and didn't run top end, I'm thinking easy 7.80's in the heat!
And YES weather does make a difference.........if I can't do it in 80 degree temps then it doesn't matter!

GTO George

Old 12-06-2019, 02:08 PM
Suspended

Well its been awhile since I've last posted on my Boosted race car. Im still waiting on mic-ing my cylinder bores BUT I'm pretty sure they are OK. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with my Bump Box........I bought it last year for the Nostalgia Race at Norwalk but never got it to work. The reason I got it was to help me cut a better light (reaction time). The best I can do is a .090 (my car is not sent up for a pro tree and my reactions are a bit slow....its an age thing). Anyways a .090 ain't going to get it done in the later rounds. To help my reaction time I try to stage DEEP thus limiting my roll out and giving me a better reaction time, now the down side is it also slows my ET's down (almost a tenth because of less roll out)! Now thats OK because Im racing in a 8.0 index, because of my car running into the 7.9's on a normal stage a DEEP star puts me right on my 8.0 index! The problem with DEEP staging is the inconsistants of my deep staging...... have to do it quickly so I can get on my trans brake and get set, the problem is most of the other drivers/cars will double bulb the tree to get in quick so they can be ready I was brought up to courtesy stage (thats like the unwritten rule). Anyways that doesn't happen so I end up going in last (staging) and not being able to deep stage thus giving me a not so good .090 or so reaction time...... ! Now what the Bump Box will do is get me on my tans brake and two step while going in DEEP so I'm ready to react to the pro tree and giving me a much better reaction Time (around .060 or)! a .060 is a good starting point so I can a few more rounds but to WIN (and I like too WIN) I need a .030 or better reaction time. With the Bump Box I have I can adjust the length of my bumps to go in as deep as I want thus fine tuning my reaction times better then .030!!! So i guess I'm going to remove my bump box and send it back so they can check to see if its working properly so I know what i need to do for next year (check on my wiring ....etc).

GTO George

Old 12-20-2019, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Well its almost the new year (I hate winter) and I'm still thinking on what I'm doing with my engine. I'm thinking that I'm just replacing the pistons that have major wear on them (3) installing new wrist pins and piston rings. I just happen to have a (almost) set (6) of pistons from my old IA build (same pistons) laying around that would work fine. If i would have broken the wrist pin id still be racing with it. Compression test i took before tear down show that everything was sealing so I'm thinking that is the way to go. Cant wait for next year, I can see 7.8 ET's with maybe a dip into the 7.7 range, with the same 12-13 lbs of boost!

GTO George

Old 12-20-2019, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Turn it up George!!

Old 12-21-2019, 02:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

George...don't discount that BDS intake just yet for injection. The BDS intake for my funny car engine was modified to fit a 14-71 and yes there is room for jet bodies (mechanical injection) for each port. I had my system set up for 16 ports...8 in the hat and 8 in the intake. I agree with John...**** can the carbs and go injection and get that puppy consistently into the 7's on every pass.

Old 12-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Suspended

I would like to see that pic, thanks.

GTO George

Old 12-22-2019, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
I would like to see that pic, thanks.

GTO George
I'll have to scour my PC over the Christmas holidays. The engine is currently in storage at a friends garage and I don't have quick access to it.

Old 12-23-2019, 12:22 AM
Suspended

PPTTF!

GTO George

Old 12-23-2019, 01:53 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
Turn it up George!!
We'll see!
Maybe a 2 lobe blower!

GTO George

Old 12-23-2019, 11:37 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Baker View Post
I'll have to scour my PC over the Christmas holidays. The engine is currently in storage at a friends garage and I don't have quick access to it.
OK thanks!

GTO george

Old 01-13-2020, 01:55 PM
Suspended

OK, looks like a change of plans........looking at my pistons (skirt area) I'm thinking of just going with NEW pistons, just need to mic the bores first!

GTO George

Old 01-31-2020, 06:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
OK, looks like a change of plans........looking at my pistons (skirt area) I'm thinking of just going with NEW pistons, just need to mic the bores first!

GTO George
Going to take the block to KRE have them re-mic the bore so they can bore the block out a little bigger for new pistons. Bores were coned some, i checked the ring gap and had .060....WOW, thats what 12 years will get ya!
This thing is going to fly!

GTO George

Old 01-31-2020, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Once your fresh engine is broken in the car will make more power and go faster for sure. The .060" ring gap probably wasn't costing you as much power as you may think. I am guessing blown on alcohol you start fresh near .040". with your bore size. Alcohol is an abrasive fuel and the rings will wear. Better the rings than the cylinder bores. Good luck next year. Got to see and hear your first 7 second pass. Sounded and looked good.

Old 01-31-2020, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Going to take the block to KRE have them re-mic the bore so they can bore the block out a little bigger for new pistons. Bores were coned some, i checked the ring gap and had .060....WOW, thats what 12 years will get ya!
This thing is going to fly!

GTO George
That didn't show up on a leakdown test?

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 01-31-2020, 09:27 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
That didn't show up on a leakdown test?

Stan
Haven’t taken a leak down test in a few years, now I take compression test at lest 2 times a year....it depends.
I have a gapless 2nd ring on my pistons.
My piston skirts had groves in them, had some stuff go through my engine a couple of times, it never messed with the bearings, must have got caught by the filter.
It’s been 12 years on the pistons, rings and cylinder bores, it was due.

GTO George

Old 01-31-2020, 09:31 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Once your fresh engine is broken in the car will make more power and go faster for sure. The .060" ring gap probably wasn't costing you as much power as you may think. I am guessing blown on alcohol you start fresh near .040". with your bore size. Alcohol is an abrasive fuel and the rings will wear. Better the rings than the cylinder bores. Good luck next year. Got to see and hear your first 7 second pass. Sounded and looked good.
I have a gapless 2nd ring.
12 years on the block, pistons, wrist pins and rings it’s was due!
Actually that 7 sec pass was crap.....spun the tires and didn’t pull top end.....just wait!

GTO George

Closed Thread