Old 04-08-2020, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff chmura View Post
Pics of my seats...... Didn't do the door panels yet, still have to get the glass aligned
Those look fantastic! Nothing like the “flat” looking ones that I commonly see at cruises.

Old 04-08-2020, 12:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

who are the covers from

Old 04-08-2020, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice SEATS!

69 Gto, 390 posi gears,th400 w/jim hand converter/406 pontiac/#64 HEADS/ 10:1 compression/ 190 PSI with/ TRW 160 thou domes / hooker headers 1 7/8, PRW 1.5 rockers, 405 Crower Springs, Holley 750 vac with proform upgrade, Performer RPM on points / 284 H Single Pattern Crane
Old 04-08-2020, 03:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm glad you started this post. I am also searching to get my seats recovered. A 65 2+2. I also have all materials. Just want labor cost. Called 3 shops. 1st. $750. 2nd $800. Omg. 3rd $360. Thats more like it. Will have them back next week. Also going to get a price on a Headliner installation.

1967 Bonneville Brougham 2 dr. hardtop. 1969 AMC Rebel SST wagon-sold
Old 04-08-2020, 10:07 PM
Senior Chief

The covers are PUI. The cushions are American cushion.
Legendary and our host sell both.
Make sure you get the American cushion stuff.
The other brands don't fit well!
Also, whatever brand you use for the seats, you also have to use that brand for the door panels.
The company's colors don't always match.

The Following User Says Thank You to jeff chmura For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2020, 04:03 AM

For good information, about car recovering and restoration might be found in https://www.woodensteeringwheels.com/. Just give a try to visit it and I think you will love a lot. Also, I don't know is it the right topic, I will give a shot. Does anyone from here know where I could find a good restoration company for bikes? I had an accident and now it has some really terrible scratches, so thinking to get fix it and also to get some custom parts

Old 05-23-2020, 10:10 PM
Senior Chief

Hang on to your chairs guys. My 62 catalina was painted 3 months ago and I'm ready for a new interior. Checked with a local shop and he wants $6500 to install a kit, About had the big one. If you're familiar with 62's you know there are no kits with a bench front seat ( If I'm wrong let me know). Checked another shop and he was twisting the knife deeper. He wants $10,000 for a custom job. He's never even seen the car...just blurted out "10 grand". His door never came close to hitting my keester. I was gone. If anyone knows of a shop in mid Michigan that is cheaper or makes a kit my car let me know PLEASE.

Old 05-24-2020, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I'm not certain that surprises me. I'm fortunate enough to have been able to get a "kit" for my 69 Bird, but there's a lot that's not in that kit and there's still quite a bit of work involved even with just recovers.

I'm doing a complete color change, so everything in the interior on my car has been touched. I've tried to keep as many parts as possible and paint them, which is actually turning out well, but even so I've got over 3K into this and the only labor I've contracted out is the seat recovering and I'll have another ~$400.00 to have the headliner done. All said and done I'll be about 4K deep into this deal and I've done 85% of the work.

So if you can get a complete interior done without you touching it or buying anything yourself, $6500.00 may actually be on the cheap side.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:17 PM

I'm getting $400 for a pair of buckets and $400 for a back seat out here in the Seattle area these days.

That is just the recovering work, not including the cost of the covers or buns. (backseat does get new cotton for that price though).
If the customer wants blasting & coating or painting thats more still.
Extensive spring repairs or frame repairs needed equals more money.

An ideal condition pair of GM buckets i can completely strip and build back up in about 8-10 hours start to finish fully dressed with trim... But when stuff is gross and rusted, broken and fab work is required... dropping them off and picking up from blasting/coating... its not uncommon to have between 16-20 hours in a pair by the time they are done. The trick is guessing which ones those are going to be and quoting the extra work properly at the beginning of the project.

Just posting as an awareness for what goes into that $$ amount that gets quoted.
More often than not I don't really know what i'm looking at until I've got them fully stripped to the springs. Old upholstery can hide a lot of nasty (and broken) stuff underneath.

that $6500 and $10k quote for installing pre-made (and already purchased i'm assuming) seat cover kits are flat out ridiculous, unless they are including more than just reskinning seats... in which case they could well be accurate quotes. It would not be hard at all to get to $10k if you are paying someone to do/install an entire interior.

Last edited by rambow; 06-03-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 04:53 PM
Senior Chief

It all depends on the shops hourly rate....
Best thing to do is ask how many hours to recover.
Buying the covers would be added to the cost.
FYI...in my case, the covers foams,etc. I bought and decided later to have recovered.
My guy had problems with the foams not fitting properly,so in total he had 38 hours on the job @$70/hr.
Lesson learned, ask the shop what they recommend for materials (PUI and American Cushion in my case, our host has both) and how many hours to cover.
I paid $2100 in labor because of the redo,if I bought the right stuff in the 1st place, it would of been around $800-$1000

Old 06-03-2020, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For reference, going to pick up my car from upholsterer again today. He did the headliner and sail panels for me. $240.00 for that job just for the labor. I supplied materials (headliner, sail panels, pinch weld, new screws/hardware).

Old 06-03-2020, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
For reference, going to pick up my car from upholsterer again today. He did the headliner and sail panels for me. $240.00 for that job just for the labor. I supplied materials (headliner, sail panels, pinch weld, new screws/hardware).
Having done a headliner for the first time last winter, I can say that is well worth the money and that they earned their money. It is a pain to get the wrinkles out and to get the headliner looking good. I will gladly pay to have the next one installed.

Old 06-03-2020, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milner View Post
Having done a headliner for the first time last winter, I can say that is well worth the money and that they earned their money. It is a pain to get the wrinkles out and to get the headliner looking good. I will gladly pay to have the next one installed.
Yup, my sentiments exactly. Just picked up the car and the headliner, sail panels and all the pinch weld look fantastic. No creases or wrinkles anywhere.

Old 06-07-2020, 11:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

[QUOTE=jeff chmura;
"There's a place in South Amboy that I hear does excellent work. Superior interior".
I had them do seat covers in black leather for my 66 Bonneville convertible bucket seats in around 2000.
Excellent work, I think back then it was around $1200.
I supplied the bucket seats with the original covers, and the new leather material.
He took my original ones apart, and used them as a pattern for the new ones.
I sold the car in 2014, they still looked great.
Everything in New Jersey is expensive just because of the cost of doing business here!

Semper Fi