Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 04-17-2020, 05:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Shipping an Endura Bumper

I need to ship a 68 Endura bumper from NY to ND ... plugging in the dimensions and weight I get about $108 ... reasonable enough.

Question is, how does this item need to be packaged? It's already rough, I don't think they can hurt it much. I'd prefer to just drop it off at the UPS store and let them package it, but I'm not sure how much they charge.

I sold it for $200, told the buyer I would cover any shipping over $100 ... I really don't care if it ends up being $150 to ship ... just want it out of the shop. I'd sell it for $100 if someone came to my house

So ... any idea what UPS would charge to prepare it for shipping? It would be going from UPS store, to UPS store if that makes a difference.

Old 04-17-2020, 06:44 AM
Senior Chief

I've shipped several big items via UPS,Fed Ex,(bumpers,door shells,hoods,etc.)and as long as they are not dirty they wrap a sticker to it and off it goes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bluesugar For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont think that UPS charges that much for packaging. I had to return a set of door panels and spent a couple of hours and probably $30 in tape and bubble wrap to get them ready. The ups store said they could have done it for that much. If the buyer is good with shipping it in the raw, maybe ups will ship it that way as well and save you a bit of time and money.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Excellent, just what I wanted to hear. I mean it is an Endura bumper, you could drive over it with the UPS truck and probably not hurt it.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you take it to a satellite store to package for you, they will rape you. To package and ship a an acoustic guitar with case from NC to CA ($2000 insurance), they wanted $180. An endura bumper is just a tad heavier and larger.

Let us know what the charge you...I'd be curious. I know the insurance is a factor, but not so much as weight and size.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
The Following User Says Thank You to vertigto For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I know the insurance can add a lot. My estimate of shipping with $200 insurance was $108 ... that was with me doing the packing. I'd be more than happy to pay them $30 or so to do the packing themselves ... fortunately I'm not in this particular deal for the money, just want it out of the shop and don't want to give it away for nothing.

Old 04-17-2020, 04:58 PM

If you don’t want to get killed on shipping, wrap it up in cardboard yourself and either drop it off at UPS or FedEx or better yet at a Greyhound terminal.

Avoid any UPS store. Many years ago I took a pair of Pontiac cylinder heads to my local UPS store, already wrapped in multiple layers of cardboard and ready to ship. They wanted double the amount that UPS normally would have charged if I would have dropped them off at UPS myself.

I can imagine they’re not going to package that bumper for anything near $30 at a UPS store.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I'm hearing it depends a ton on the store. They are individually owned and if a particular store wants to pack something up there are no set prices, they just charge what they want for labor and materials.

Hate to do it cause it's an hour round trip ... but I'll probably carry it into the shop and ask how much if they do it, if it's too much, bring it back home and do it myself. I'm basically trying to avoid investing too much time ... since I'm not really making any money on it, just want it out of my shop.

If I do get a quote I'll let you guys know what it is, although probably meaningless at a different store.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'll reiterate what others have said - you will get killed on price if you have a UPS store pack this. All I do with items like this is wrap it in shrink wrap and stick the packing label envelop on the outside. Haven't had a problem yet. And insurance is not expensive - around $2.00 per $100 of insured value.

I use FedEx, btw.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOnly70 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 03:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
If you don’t want to get killed on shipping, wrap it up in cardboard yourself and either drop it off at UPS or FedEx or better yet at a Greyhound terminal.

Avoid any UPS store. Many years ago I took a pair of Pontiac cylinder heads to my local UPS store, already wrapped in multiple layers of cardboard and ready to ship. They wanted double the amount that UPS normally would have charged if I would have dropped them off at UPS myself.

I can imagine they’re not going to package that bumper for anything near $30 at a UPS store.
I usually use FedEx, but had an emergency situation where I needed to ship UPS. They charged me $10 for a box to send a book. It was an emergency; so I was in no spot to complain, but I thought it was interesting that they charged 10 bucks for something that FedEx would have gladly provided for free.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you guys very much for the info and the suggestions that I can use in the future .... the potential buyer said he found what he needs locally .... sheesh, there's a few hours of my life wasted

Old 04-18-2020, 09:50 AM
Suspended

Next time go to your local dealer's body shop or parts department. Every week they have many large boxes from bumper covers, fenders and quarter panels they cut up and throw out. They're nice boxes with handle holes that need little to no modification to ship old car parts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Chief of the 60's For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 09:53 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesugar View Post
I've shipped several big items via UPS,Fed Ex,(bumpers,door shells,hoods,etc.)and as long as they are not dirty they wrap a sticker to it and off it goes.
I've done this with hitches and plow frames. Don't know if I would do it with anything that isn't beefy or good.

Old 04-18-2020, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Next time go to your local dealer's body shop or parts department. Every week they have many large boxes from bumper covers, fenders and quarter panels they cut up and throw out. They're nice boxes with handle holes that need little to no modification to ship old car parts.
Just a couple of days before I threw away a giant box that a bumper cover for my GMC truck came in ... jeez, this deal was cursed from moment one

Old 07-01-2020, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Got another buyer that wants the bumper shipped ... after five days finally got a quote from Fastenal ...... $292 !! From NY to TN. So far UPS is at $80. Will check FedEx next.