Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-01-2020, 12:14 PM
Senior Chief

Default Paypal problems

Since many of us here use Paypal pretty regularly, I thought I would share my dealings with them today. Since they require a credit card to be connected to the account, I did so. When the card expired they asked me to update the card which I attempted to do at their website but after going through the steps, I got a message saying that they could not accomplish that and to try again later. so far trying again later has only gotten the same result. Then I attempted to transfer the balance at paypal via a check but they could not do that because the card connected to the account is expired. I attempted to call them on the phone only to learn it would be 80-110 minute wait until an agent would be available. Sorry. I don't have that kind of time to wait so now paypal has my money held as hostage until I can figure out a way to get this done without waiting on hold for 1+ hours. What a great service they provide.

Mr. G

Old 07-05-2020, 01:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I quit using PayPal for **** like this.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When PayPal works, it great, when it doesn’t, it really sucks. Someone keeps un linking my bank account from PayPal, My bank and pay pal point the finger at each other. It takes like 3 days to get a call back. Good thing I really don’t need the money in there. That’s how I look at cash in that outfit. It’s happened 3 times so far.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 07-05-2020, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I signed up for paypal pretty much at the begining;
that's when they were great, I could transfer money into my bank account no problem.

Then eBay bought Pay Pal, and things got worse;
I delayed adjusting my account to be able to once again deposit money into my bank account, then started hearing of issues where bank acounts were being frozen...
So I never re-linked the two.
It would be quite handy to re-link accounts, but I am a little wary of things going sideways.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-05-2020, 02:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I only use paypal if there is no other way. I've even resorted to us postal money order or a bank draft. Takes a bit of time trough the mail though. Whenever I do log on, Paypal informs me that I have not completed my registration as I have not linked my bank (credit union) account. A while back I had to change my ebay password as ebay was hacked. I believe any website can be hacked. (I once had no email access and then had to change passwords because my ISP servers got hacked.) When a credit card is hacked, the company eats the charges. If paypal gets hacked and money is taken directly from your bank account I doubt there is any recourse. Money is gone. I have read enough about bad transactions not going in the favour of the buyer, to believe that paypal will not cover your losses.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 07-05-2020, 03:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i find it interesting that I don't get that notification.

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-05-2020, 04:03 PM

The thing is, you hear about people who have had problems (and I'm sorry that you're one of them), but you don't hear about the millions of transactions they do every day without issue. Personally, I've never had an issue. Just in case, I did create a separate bank account that I use for PayPal transactions; it has a minimal amount of money in it, so in case there is a problem some day I won't take a big hit.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paypal works.

Yet , i had 5 years ago i had trouble getting money from Paypal to a bank account. They have a goofey link-proof with a few deposits that oyu got to verify. Well it took a couple days.

Now i keep an expired card Active with Paypal so nothing funny can happen.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I ordered a pressure washer on ebay and paid for it with paypal. It turned out that the auction was a scam and there was no pressure washer. I filed a fraud charge with ebay and paypal, which was a mistake on my part, since I filed with both entities ebay immediately closed my claim and told me that once a claim was closed it could never be opened again. The seller sent a tracking number which was also fraudulent but the tracking number was delivered to someone else, so paypal said that there was a valid tracking number and the item was delivered so I had no claim. I tried and tried but paypal refused to refund my money. I finally went to my bank and they got paypal to refund my money. Ebay and paypal both are terrible but it's hard not to use both of them.

Old 07-06-2020, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was recently scammed, but in this case it was a defective computer slave drive being sold by an ebay seller;
If my memory serves me correct, I didn't go to paypal but filed a complaint to ebay;
it took a LONG time, but eventually ebay sided with me because at no time did the seller offer an apology, or suggest that I send it back to them - they just kept trying to offer a partial refund.
At first, I thought it was a mistake on their part, but I normally try to think the best of others;
I was apparent that they were intentionally selling defective garbage.
Oh well, so much for a great deal from china!
Although technically ebay and paypal are no longer the same company, they are joined at the hip, so the refund went smoothly.
It probably also helped that I have been on ebay (and a PP client) since 1999 - with no previous issues to warrant complaint.
(I did have a 100% positive sellers feedback, but ages ago when the jacked fees, and had fees upon fees, I stopped selling there)

Old 07-06-2020, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Count me as one of those people that has done thousands of paypal transactions without a problem.