THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default It was a beautiful car.....

But I'm gonna guess that he is probably more worried about his wife than the car.

Glad the injuries weren't more serious (not playing down a broken leg at all).

Looks like he has plenty of cool stuff to salvage.....

Hopefully good insurance coverage.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:45 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
Hopefully good insurance coverage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
"exhibition of speed" , so it says.....
Could have a problem if that ^ ^ ^ is the issue.

Now a days, street racing is right up there with a DWI/DWAI/DUI or worse in insurance companies eyes.

Old 08-05-2020, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Says the accelerator stuck. I wrecked my first car in 1980, a '66 GTO , when the same thing happened. I had a cobbled together tripower using an AFB throttle cable bracket, which made the cable pull at a sharp angle. When it stuck, I was going 50 mph in second gear, drifting around the corner with both hands on the wheel (manual steering) and almost made it to the straightaway, but an oncoming car (Olds Vista Cruiser) was in the way. I was 2 feet over the center line and so was she. Nobody really badly hurt, (Broken bones and teeth) and the GTO got a new frame and a 455 with dual 4's after I gave it to a buddy. Probably still on the road. Had the throttle stick wide open on a friend's GTO (a barrier blue 389 with a tunnel ram and dual quads AFTER I had wrecked my car, but I was on a straight road and quickly turned off the ignition, saving any drama. That one was a broken return spring. Stuff happens real fast at wide open throttle in these cars. After that, nothing got jury-rigged on any of my cars and I slowed waaaaay down on the street.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Says the accelerator stuck. ..........That [next] one was a broken return spring. Stuff happens real fast at wide open throttle in these cars. .........
And that's why I retrofitted all of my old cars to have dual return springs. Sure, if something catastrophic happens like the LH motor mount completely fails, then that 2nd spring won't do diddly, for most other times it's good to have.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Says the accelerator stuck. I wrecked my first car in 1980, a '66 GTO , when the same thing happened. I had a cobbled together tripower using an AFB throttle cable bracket, which made the cable pull at a sharp angle. When it stuck, I was going 50 mph in second gear, drifting around the corner with both hands on the wheel (manual steering) and almost made it to the straightaway, but an oncoming car (Olds Vista Cruiser) was in the way. I was 2 feet over the center line and so was she. Nobody really badly hurt, (Broken bones and teeth) and the GTO got a new frame and a 455 with dual 4's after I gave it to a buddy. Probably still on the road. Had the throttle stick wide open on a friend's GTO (a barrier blue 389 with a tunnel ram and dual quads AFTER I had wrecked my car, but I was on a straight road and quickly turned off the ignition, saving any drama. That one was a broken return spring. Stuff happens real fast at wide open throttle in these cars. After that, nothing got jury-rigged on any of my cars and I slowed waaaaay down on the street.
Back when I started messing with cars (late 60s) there were no redundant throttle return springs, and most cars had rods and bellcranks connecting the pedal to the carb. The cables started being more commonplace, and so did redundant return springs.

If you've never experienced the throttle sticking wide open on a car with at least 300 HP, because lets face it, they don't stick wide open unless you have your foot planted on the floor to begin with, you're very fortunate.

I've had it happen to me, and either you disengage the engine from the drivetrain, or just shut the key off. The other alternative is ride it out. It never adds any years to your lifetime..............LOL

The only other adrenaline raising experience I can think of to compare it to is having a single master cylinder brake system fail, with no advance warning........... Even worse is just starting down a steep grade when it fails...............BTDT. Talk about a helpless feeling.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-06-2020, 12:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Click image for larger version

Name:	90E2C2FE-2EEA-475C-89FA-D97F661079CA.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	546531

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-06-2020, 12:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

I don't want to make any comment on this other than to say I'm very pleased to read that both occupants of the car have survived relatively unscathed.

But I do have a question: Is that sort of car in the configuration is appears to be, able to be driven as a street legal car?

It certainly would NOT be street legal here in Australia but I accept different places have different rules & regulations.

Just wondering????

Old 08-06-2020, 01:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
If you've never experienced the throttle sticking wide open on a car with at least 300 HP, because lets face it, they don't stick wide open unless you have your foot planted on the floor to begin with, you're very fortunate.
Done that once..but not 300hp...probably 200...but still, yeah, it'll get your attention

Quote:
The only other adrenaline raising experience I can think of to compare it to is having a single master cylinder brake system fail, with no advance warning........... Even worse is just starting down a steep grade when it fails...............BTDT. Talk about a helpless feeling.
Done that twice....both in big, heavy cars. A '69 LeSabre and a '71 Country Squire. Not single MCs but NO brakes both times.
Not fun at all. Lucky to have somewhere to pull over quickly both times and bled off the speed with the e-brake. Takes a while.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post
I don't want to make any comment on this other than to say I'm very pleased to read that both occupants of the car have survived relatively unscathed.

But I do have a question: Is that sort of car in the configuration is appears to be, able to be driven as a street legal car?

It certainly would NOT be street legal here in Australia but I accept different places have different rules & regulations.

Just wondering????
Yes it can be legally driven on our streets and highways.

We can modify our street cars into some pretty outrageous configurations here in the states.

Some of us call it freedom.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't believe that it would be a problem plating that car here. Partially because there's just not that much scrutiny. You're registering a 1965 Pontiac. Proof of insurance , safety certificate (if registering for the first time in your name) and you're good to go.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I don't believe that it would be a problem plating that car here. Partially because there's just not that much scrutiny. You're registering a 1965 Pontiac. Proof of insurance , safety certificate (if registering for the first time in your name) and you're good to go.
That’s very different to here. To register any vehicle be it a car, truck, m/cycle etc you have to have it inspected by a licensed roadworthiness inspector who will ensure it complies to all regulations such as everything working and within its safe working limits such as tyres, brakes, steering, seatbelts are operational (not frayed or damaged), they retract, windscreen is unmarked, NO oil leaks, exhaust is good. Etc etc.
Basically no mechanical modifications are allowed except minor lowering and maybe slightly wider wheels.
A lot can depend on how rigid the inspector is who is looking at the car. That inspection costs about $220.00 and of course they ALWAYS find a problem which they are only too happy to quote on!!!

With Roadworthy Certificate in hand you present the car to the registration authority who will inspect it again to check its not stolen, the engine and chassis number match and after handing over a small fortune in charges, you get a set of plates and drive away.

With your annual registration, insurance is included but only for personal accident. In other words, if anybody within the car or outside of the car suffers any injury (or death), you can make a claim. Even in extreme cases such as a family member is killed, the extended family can claim compensation for stress or loss.

But it is the onus of the car owner to arrange collision insurance. Sadly, many don’t and if you are involved in an accident you better have your own insurance cover because the chances of getting money out of an uninsured driver is about zilch.

Old 08-06-2020, 08:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I PM'd Jim. He's doing OK. TOld him I was praying for the health and well being of him and his wife, not only from the accident, aslo from NOT being exposed to the wacky virus. His virus test was negative...

My biggest concern is for his wife, family and marriage...these things "can" throw a monkey wrench into the game of life. I'm hoping that is not the case, here...........

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-10-2020, 08:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
Good to go until the first cop that puts eyes on you. No way that's street legal in Ontario and good luck with certification (open exhaust, no wipers, ride height + +). It'd be taking a flatbed ride back home.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe, maybe not. For sure open headers no way, that's common sense. Ride height? A guy in my neighborhood has a Chevelle on a lifted truck frame. Wipers? My son's ricer buddies boot around all day without them. So yes, you take your chances. And so does your mechanic buddy who certifies it. But it can be plated. And if you don't light the tires at the first stoplight, you could be OK.

Old 08-12-2020, 03:27 PM

Had a 68 firebird with 350. Pulled into gas station and carb return spring broke. Engine was fed gas by the broken drivers side engine mount, causing engine to lift and gas petal cable to pull harder. Tires were spinning until I slammed it into Neutral. Holy crap. Now I have a chain from the engine drivers side to the suspension.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heybuck View Post

Just wondering????
Of course it's legal.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National