Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:32 PM
Senior Chief

Default New D-Port Turbo Headers now available.

I want to fist point out that I have no gain in this informational post. I just want to get the word out in hopes to advance the Pontiac community and specifically present options for the D-port crowd who have been thinking about going to a Turbo but have not due to the lack of Turbo manifolds and the expense of making a one off custom set.

I wanted to share information about a new product that is now available from Stainless headers.

As some may know we did a Group Purchase for Turbo Header manifolds a few months back however they where only available for the Round port heads. We have gone back and forth with Steve with questions and ideas for D-Port turbo manifolds a couple times during the group purchase a few months back. He saw that we had enough interest generated from PYF to convince Steve to look into possible D-Port designs... And not only did he look into it, he now offers them offers D-Port Turbo headers.

Here is the information I have for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve at Stainless Headers
Official Pontiac D-Port Turbo Manifolds. Offered with or without the divider plate on the Siamese center tube.

The divider plate is offered as a performance upgrade to help prevent reversion or excessive turbulence within the manifold itself.

The log and primary tube construction remains the same as the other existing headers: ½” 304SS slotted header flange, 0.120” thick 304SS tubing for the primaries and main log, 2” OD primary tubes (1 ¾” ID), 2 ½” Log, (2 ¼” ID), and full-purge welding.

The ends of both banks terminate in 2 ½” male v-bands, made from billet 304SS.

As always, the header is entirely designed, fabricated, and built in the USA.

New construction changes: The center Siamese primary tube is constructed from 2 ½” OD (2 ¼” ID) 0.120” thick 304SS tubing. This is split with a divider plate made from 0.083” 321SS, and welded to the 304SS tubing & flange with 347 TIG rod.

Prices have not been officially set, though I would expect the divider-less D-port design to be a similar price to the standard round port/Ram Air IV turbo manifold; leaving the divided/performance version a couple hundred dollars more. Both designs within reach for a performance, bank-limited build.

If anybody has questions or concerns on the design, or would like to know some of the math and theory behind the divider plate, I would be happy to entertain emails or phone calls at any time!

Trust me, plenty of math went into deciding how necessary the dividing plate is. I used factory cam specs, timing specs, and engine parameters from MOST of the Poncho V8’s through 1979 in my decision.
If anyone would like to reach out to Steve with any questions, he is eager to answer them. He is a Pontiac owner as well and really wants to offer the Pontiac community a quality Turbo Manifold at a reasonable price over custom one off options.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, contact Stainless Headers directly. Please post any information learned here so the rest of us remain informed with the latest.

Steve Zimmerman
Stainless Headers Mfg., Inc
Phone: 651-448-8661 Fax: 651-448-8675
1135 North 7th Street
Lake City, MN 55041

SPEED SAFE, NICK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D port_Pontiac 400 D-Port Turbo Manifold.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	531995   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pontiac D-Port Turbo Headers.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	531996   Click image for larger version

Name:	D port_Pontiac 400 D-Port Turbo Headers.jpg
Views:	623
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	531997   Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom Pontiac Turbo Headers.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	531998  

Old 02-15-2020, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Where were these 6 years ago!!

Old 02-15-2020, 07:49 PM
Senior Chief

Has anyone installed these on a car yet? I am curious about how they fit in a stock chassis car. Please post up some pics if you have any...

Old 02-16-2020, 07:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great parts good company this should help the Pontiac turbo crowd

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 02-21-2020, 04:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nice addition to the community, it'll be easier than ever to split the stock block down the middle. LOL

I'll have to contact them about a turbo mounting flange and DP, maybe a kit is the future.

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Intake & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks Hot Rod SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aerospace Front & Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, Powersteering.com Pump & 12:1 Box, QA1 Front Arms & Viking Berz CO + Rear Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
Old 04-21-2020, 06:46 PM

Nice setup

Old 04-22-2020, 03:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSPONT View Post
Where were these 6 years ago!!
Yes!

Old 04-22-2020, 06:42 PM
Suspended

Wow! Those would look great on a NA street rod, like a '32 Ford coupe - no hood.

Old 09-25-2020, 04:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone pic up a pair, or have any info on pricing?

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 09-27-2020, 12:59 PM
Senior Chief

Just give Steve a call and let him know how you found him... he is a great guy to work with.

Steve Zimmerman
Stainless Headers Mfg., Inc
Phone: 651-448-8661 Fax: 651-448-8675
1135 North 7th Street
Lake City, MN 55041

I have a set for my 69 Firebird. Its looking like I will have to clearance the frame for them to fit... but thats really no big deal for me... just some cutting and welding... And honestly I'm not fully decided if I wont be going to a full aftermarket front sub frame. If I go that route, there will be no clearance issues... still a ways out from that point. But either way, It appears to be easy enough if you have a metal cut off wheel and a welder.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 09-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can you show a picture of where it hits?

Is it hitting on the log (2.5 pipe) ?

Old 10-01-2020, 10:39 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie66 View Post
Can you show a picture of where it hits?

Is it hitting on the log (2.5 pipe) ?
I honestly can not... I am guessing from builds I have seen using them...

Look at the Boosted Bandit build... he has some detailed pictures of the modification he made to his frame...

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=838189

You can skip to the specific post:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...2&postcount=22
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...3&postcount=23
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...9&postcount=28
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...8&postcount=30
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...9&postcount=31

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 10-02-2020, 09:24 AM
Senior Chief

I may end up just notching the frame where the headers run... It really doesn't look like to difficult of a task if you have a welder and a free Saturday morning. I plan to cross that bridge when I get there.

I will admit I like the whole set up hes built... I just not so sure I have that level of skill... Well actually I do know that I dont. But I do know i can notch the frame.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 10-02-2020, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

are you using D ports or round?

Old 10-02-2020, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How far from the side of the block is the main log tub when bolted on?

Old 10-02-2020, 04:04 PM
Senior Chief

I am running Round Ports. I currently do not have my block together to answer your question... however I think there where some pictures posted of some people who have installed them on an engine stand. Ill see if I can dig some pictures up to help you get a better visual.

there is a picture of them installed on a block on an engine stand in this tread.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=834392&page=5

I also have a couple pictures i have found of some installed on other builds I think some are from Mystic...

I hope these help

SPEED SAFE, NICK
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Turbo Manifolds with motor plate 5.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	550745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbo Manifolds with motor plate 4.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	550746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbo Manifolds with motor plate 3.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	550747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbo Manifolds with motor plate 2.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	550748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Turbo Manifolds with motor plate 1.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	550749  

Last edited by AIR RAM; 10-02-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-02-2020, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks . Ive seen them pictures before .

I was just asking because im surprised they hit and wanted to see a pictures down between the block and log. Im curious why its hitting. I think i know why but wanted to be sure first .

Sorry to hear this man..

Old 10-03-2020, 07:12 AM
Senior Chief

Yeah, I get it... I know lots of people are not to keen on cutting the frame or any part of their cars however, I think this can be done and patched in a way that nobody would ever know it was done unless they where told about it. Just need a cut off wheel and a welder... may even be able to use the same material being removed to use for the patch... I know most people dont own a welder most... But it may be a good excuse to pick one up...

SPEED SAFE, NICK

Old 10-03-2020, 12:12 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR RAM View Post
Yeah, I get it... I know lots of people are not to keen on cutting the frame or any part of their cars however, I think this can be done and patched in a way that nobody would ever know it was done unless they where told about it. Just need a cut off wheel and a welder... may even be able to use the same material being removed to use for the patch... I know most people dont own a welder most... But it may be a good excuse to pick one up...

SPEED SAFE, NICK
Maybe a Chevy guy could not tell but anyone why ever actually played with his car/frame/chassis would spot the modification in a heartbeat.

But the "UHH" and "AHH" 'strokes' would not spot it because they would be looking at the Turbos vs looking at the mods required to install the things in the chassis. They would miss if you cut out the firewall, installed a "wheelbarrow bucket", and moved the engine back 4 inches in the chassis.

Tom V.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Banks firewall #1.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	550803  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:01 PM
Senior Chief

LMAO! WOW... A wheelbarrow... It actually looks "roomy" and very clean... What a great idea! I may have to take a look at that mod!!! LMAO

SPEED SAFE, NICK