Old 07-31-2020, 10:40 PM

Default 4 speed clutch adjustment help

Hi,
I recently had a new clutch ,flywheel,throw out bearing etc installed in my 67 GTO “HO” car. I drove it a block everything was fine. Shifted 1st threw 3rd. Came back from less than a quarter mile trip. The clutch won’t engage or let me shift back to 1st or second? Or any gear. I turn the car off. It will start and go back in first only shifting once. I’m not sure if the clutch needs adjustment or the shifter linkages need adjustment? Is there anyone who has dealt with this issue before? I’m just concerned that I may have to take the transmission out again? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 07-31-2020, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like the clutch needs adjustment.Tom

Old 08-01-2020, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure if this is the same but I had the same thing happen to me. The bellhousing bolts didn't get tightened so when I first drove it seemed fine but then it back out and through the clutch adjustment off. Hope that makes sense.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:44 AM

Are you saying you cannot get the clutch disengaged?

Does the clutch pedal feel the same as when you first took off? Does the clutch fork feel like it's properly seated over the ball in the bellhousing?

I've had a couple where the spring steel fingers in the clutch fork are tired and do not properly retain the throwout bearing. Naturally, that would require pulling the trans.

Tim

Old 08-02-2020, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another thing you need to look at on any old Pontiac 4 speed car with a Muncie transmission is the front nose-cone of the trans. (The part where the throw-out bearing) slides back & forth. People know to replace the bearing however over time the old bearing (when it goes bad) tears up the touch surface of the nose-cone. It will wear a groove in the cone surface which hangs up the new bearing. The cure would be to replace the nose-cone. It is held onto the front of the transmission by 4 bolts.

Old 08-02-2020, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The wife’s car acted like that on me when I first got it going. The reproduction fork was moving on the bell housing ball. It would work OK then the pedal would get real stiff & couldn’t shift it .

On her car the I could pull the fork out towards the drivers side & it would be OK for a while. I ended up ditching the fork boot & seemed to stop the problem. Hope this helps!

Murf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro