Old 08-01-2020, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 81 TA emergency brake cables

I recently did the brakes on my 81 TA. After installing the rear calipers which were the biggest PITA I bought a e brake cable kit. The old ones were rusty and in bad shape. So I put the rear cables on, the passenger went right in but the driver side I had to stretch a bit., just the casing I would say about 1/2". This normal? Now when I go to connect the front cable (original) it will not reach? Compared to the old cables they look the like they are the same length. What am I doing wrong, did I get the wrong cables? Also for what its worth the kit came with the "front" cable with just two crimped ends about 60" long and no stud to put the equalizer on there. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-01-2020, 08:14 PM
Suspended

They are under tension at all times, more so if the pedal still applied.

Old 08-02-2020, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good call. I got it on there with a couple guys. I got the nut about 1/2" up the stud and started working the brake to exercise the rear calipers, start the car, pump the pedal, and boom a massive brake fluid leak on the top of the rear. So gotta do a little fixing...to be continued.