Old 06-12-2019, 06:17 PM
Senior Chief

Default SE Michigan Dream Cruisers

Any interest in starting a 'Pontiac Dream Cruise Parking Club' to be able to apply for parking on Old Woodward in Birmingham during the Dream Cruise. I used to park with the 'Royal Pontiac Club of America', but that club is no longer active, so I am trying to preserve this prime parking spot during the Dream Cruise. Per the City of Birmingham, the club must register a minimum of 5 vehicles, and cars must be 1988 or older. The registration fee is $30 per car. Cars must arrive between 7am and 9am on August 17. So I'm wondering if there are at least 4 other people who are definitely interested.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll put up 30 to park. I usually park with the widetrackers but even then I am usually driving around in Pontiac. Plus I like to head to flint for back to the bricks.

Old 06-13-2019, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks indymanjoe! If we can get at least 3 more by the end of this month, I'll submit the application to the city of Birmingham.

Old 06-16-2019, 12:25 PM
Senior Chief

Still looking for at least 3 others interested in parking in Birmingham during the Dream Cruise. See first post for info.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can you come and go as you please?? Is it your spot for all day?

76 GP LJ 400 4BBL T400
78 Chevy 1/2 Ton Truck
Oh yea I love my wife very much
For some reason it got erased when I put it here last time!!!!!! hmmmmmmmm
Old 06-18-2019, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The guards will shoot ya..LOL i have to believe its ours for the day and you can come and go as ya want.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:54 PM
Senior Chief

For those who have not been to Birmingham during the Dream Cruise, Birmingham closes off Old Woodward to traffic and that is where the Clubs park. It's almost 1/2 mile of classic cars on both sides of Old Woodward from 15 Mile (Maple) down to where Old Woodward merges with Woodward. And that is where Chevy has a mega display and Channel 7 does its broadcast. It's pretty cool to get there early and watch all the cars come in and park. Some clubs arrive as a group which is also fun to watch. Lots of people come to this area because they can walk down the middle of the street and see the cars up close.

@74gto, Actually, the application states "Due to increased demand, Clubs may not save parking spaces. Once a participant leaves, return space is not guaranteed." From my experience during the past 5 years, a lot of people park with their clubs in the morning and enjoy the car club show and then take off after lunch to go cruising.

Still need a few more people to form a small club and apply for parking. See first post for more info.

My car is the Carousel Red (aka orange) '69 Firebird at the 2018 Birmingham Dream Cruise Event.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018 Woodward Dream Cruise.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	514422  

Old 06-19-2019, 09:23 AM

I parked there last year, made the Birmingham Calendar photo for August too! You can count on me for 2 for sure, possibly 3. Definately 3, I'm in.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:51 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks tonyk. Hey, what calendar are you talking about? I did a google search for Birmingham Dream Cruise Event calendar, but came up empty. I also checked the Birmingham Dream Cruise website and did find anything.

Old 06-19-2019, 07:02 PM
Senior Chief

Just to be clear to all those who might be interested in parking as a club in Birmingham. This is NOT a good option if you want complete freedom to come and go. The classic cars are parked on Old Woodward which is closed off to traffic. There are tons of pedestrians walking down the middle of the street to view the cars. And there are food and souvenir vendors set up in the street. Not to mention that the entrance and exits have barricades which have to be moved if one wants to leave or come back. That's why Birmingham wants all the cars to arrive between 7am and 9am ….before the public starts showing up. But like I mentioned in a previous post, the classic cars slowly start to leave in the early afternoon. I stayed last year until 4pm and I'd say about half of the cars had left by then. In my opinion the best cruising is on Monday - Friday before the actual cruise so I don't mind having a great parking spot on Saturday morning.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:55 AM

Hey MGO - This is from the 2019 City Of Birmingham calendar for Aug 2019. The pic is of the folks who parked with The Royal Pontiac club including both my 70 TAs.. Its a shame the club folded.. To get a calendar you should call the City of Birmingham and see if they have any left.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018 WDC Birmingham calendar Aug 2019.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	514520  

Old 06-25-2019, 08:39 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks tonyk, I picked up the calendar today from the Birmingham City Offices. My car is in the pic too!

Old 07-01-2019, 04:26 PM
Senior Chief

PM's to indymanjoe, 74gto, and tonyk.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoblue View Post
In my opinion the best cruising is on Monday - Friday before the actual cruise
Agree -

It's cooler (temperature wise), less congested and more authentic.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 07-11-2019, 08:15 AM

Definately - IMHO The week leading up to the Cruise is better than the day of, with all the mini vans and family cars. Be careful this year in RO, it seems the pre-cruising is disturbing the businesses and residents.
https://www.theoaklandpress.com/news...7193ea876.html

Old 07-12-2019, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are some details from the Widetrackers Chapter of POCI, in case anyone can take advantage of this:

"The Cruise of 2019 is scheduled for Saturday, 17 August, and the Widetrackers are planning to meet at the same location as last year, which is located at 140 South Saginaw Street in downtown Pontiac.

"Attached please find the registration form, which will entitle the holding member to parking, lunch, and restroom/hand wash facilities. Registration forms should be completed and mailed, along with registration fee to

Dan Kane
2974 Voorheis Road
Waterford, MI 48328

"Registration forms must be submitted to Dan by no later than Friday, August 9, 2019. There is limited parking, and you are encouraged to register as soon as possible to reserve your spot! Guests who wish to join us for lunch can do so for an additional 5.00.

"This information will be reviewed with an opportunity for your questions at the scheduled meeting on Saturday, 13 July, at Golling GMC. If you would prefer, please forward your questions to me at any time, and I will provide an answer when possible.

"Thanks everybody!

Mike Cushing
Michigan Widetrackers"

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Widetrackers 2019 Form.jpg
Views:	875
Size:	90.1 KB
ID:	515696  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 07-12-2019 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As for me: I usually don't stop.

I try to keep rollin -

K

Photo credit: Detroit Free Press
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GP Dream Cruise 2012.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	515697