Old 10-01-2020, 12:21 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Engine swap...looking for input

Have a 61 Catalina.....and a great running 72 Pontiac 350/350...

What am I up against.....for the swap?

I'm thinking motor mounts should be straight forward....

Not sure about trans mount...and obviously will need a new driveshaft...

Any input is appreciated..

Old 10-01-2020, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may have to modify the trans crossmember but not a big deal. You will need the driveshaft yoke for the T350. U-joints should be the same. There are 3 different length T350's and you will probably need to alter the driveshaft length. If you use the column shifter you can combine the bottom T350 rod with the top half of the car's column rod to make 1 rod to fit the trans to the car. The shift pattern between the 2 transmissions is different so the neutral/backup light switch is not going to work correctly. OR, you can use a floor shifter that matches the trans. The lower radiator hose from the 389 fits the 350. The upper 389 hose is bigger than the 350's so use the 389 thermostat housing. The 350 alternator should be an internal regulator one and easy to hook up or you can install the generator. Use the 389's exhaust manifolds. I did this swap in my 1963 and it really not hard and getting rid of the roto-hydramatic is worth it. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2020, 12:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Great info....in a nutshell...

Thanks....for sharing...