Old 03-07-2007, 12:24 PM

i'll do polygraphite when i do this, in black.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-03-2007, 08:30 PM

i got ambitious today and drug up a parts car to test fit the 7" ralleys from it on the g/p today. it's a 77 grand safari wagon that has 7" wide rally 2's and 235 75 r15 bfg trail t/a truck tires on them.

they'll [tires] clear the fenderwell lip by about a 3/8". this tire's too tall for my liking on the car but will give a "fit estimate". the skirt latches rub the lettering as arowhed mentioned previously with this size of tire.

the car currently has michelin 215 70 r 15's on it. they fit well with plenty of outer clearance to the skirts and the well lip. i'm thinking these wheels will work with a conservative tire size.

mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED
Talking

Post a pic, Mike...big mud tires on a 65 GP!

Old 06-06-2007, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROWHED
Post a pic, Mike...big mud tires on a 65 GP!

too late, the tires are off the rims and the rims are off to be powdercoated. the wheels turned out to be in excellent shape after getting the tires off of them. the spare is the only one needing any work in the bead area.

i had them one with the skirts to see how bad the mechanisms would rub, it looked pretty sexy with the yellow backed rallys and the mudders on it! NOT. the yellow wheels were bad enough, the tires made it all the worse and the skirts topped it off!

on a side note my skirts ride just above the highest point of the lug nut travel in their rotation, mine may sit just a bit higher than yours.

mike

btw, i found bumble bees in the catalytic convertor of the safari while removing the wheels. that's tonight's project. i was tempted to start it up before removing the cat but changed my mind after a bit of thought.

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-06-2007, 03:59 PM
Formerly GnXRanch

Mike, I checked my 65 Cat, it has 15 X 7 rally II's with 225 70r15's. I have 1/2" on one side and 7/8" on the other from the widest part of the tire to the inside lip of the quarter. Mine does not have skirts. Hopefully the difference between the two is because I had it parked sideways on the driveway.
I also tried some Goodyear Wrangler 235 70R15 a while back and they did not leave much room at all.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnXRanch
Mike, I checked my 65 Cat, it has 15 X 7 rally II's with 225 70r15's. I have 1/2" on one side and 7/8" on the other from the widest part of the tire to the inside lip of the quarter. Mine does not have skirts. Hopefully the difference between the two is because I had it parked sideways on the driveway.
I also tried some Goodyear Wrangler 235 70R15 a while back and they did not leave much room at all.

thanks for the confirmation, that's close to what i'm thinking of running on this old girl. i was thinking of hunting down a set of 60 series tires for the old girl.

i hear you on the diff in the measurements on your car. that's a lot of car to be shuffling back to center on the frame.

mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 AM

back to the control arm bushings for these cars.

the 68 gto units will work in these cars with [what i consider] minor mods. the inner shaft size on the uppers is about .016" smaller on the a body bushings than what the shaft is on the b body cars [or at least mine] and the bushing itself is shorter in overall length. what i did was push the inner sleeve out of the new bushing and, after shortening the original sleeve, i installed the modified origional sleeve in the poly bushing. i usually remove the inner sleeves to grease the poly bushings anyway upon install. the a body[gto] bushings fit well in the control arm and the lowers are a direct install.

the outer diameter of the sleeve in the bushings i removed was the exact same o.d. as the urethane unit's sleeve.

mike.

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-02-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AROWHED
...it currently has 15 x 7 Rally II all around, with 225\70R15 on front, 255\70R15 rear.
Would/Did the 15x7's with 255/70R15's fit on the rears BEFORE you moved the shock mount and altered the fender skirt latches?

I guess I'm still holding out hope for 245+wide tires on my 15x7 wheels without moving the shock mount. Latches are not a problem, I don't think they are even present.

Thanks
Barry

Doing a family roadtripmobile now: 66 Bonne 4dr Hardtop under 70K original.. Marina Turquoise. Loaded w/Rally Gauges, 6-way power bench, interior courtesy lamp group, tilt, PS, PB. Needs interior and paint, want to add luxury... tissue dispenser, maybe PW, ideas? and tint the windows.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:40 AM

so if you do a larger wheel like 17 and up you dont have to worry about the same scrubbing as would a 15 inch?

so say if you did a 17X9 with a low pro tire it would clear better as opposed to a 15X8?

Old 07-03-2007, 11:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Fastboy143, to answer your question, yes I did have to modify (remove) the fender skirt latch assemblies, trim some metal from wheelwell lip as well as the skirts themselves, and relocate the lower shock mounts, just to run the 255\70-15 on factory-stock 15 x 7 Rally on the rear.
The lower shock mount mod is easy...just have to drill a new 1/2" diam hole. It will bring the shock body a little closer to the axle tube, but that only means it may be necessary to move the brake line a little.
Skirt latches mods: Not so easy...as matter of fact its a big PITA. I curently have two 1/4" pins holding each skirt in place, and they are exceedingly difficult to remove with huge tires in the way. Plus now they are stuck with mild corrosion to boot, as my car is a daily driver. I'm sure there is an easier way to retain the skirts, but back in 2004 I set it up this way since I was pressed for time, and have not readdressed the problem since.

Old 07-13-2007, 02:21 PM

Has ANYONE done 10s in the rear?

Bon-evil is the only one ive seen with that wide of a tire.

A narrowed rearend and possibly frame modifications?

Old 07-15-2007, 12:50 PM

I seen your astro supremes on your 66 bonnie, which look really good. I would like to know what size tires you are running and how backspace you went with for your wheels. I have a 66 gp and have been having trouble try to figure this out for my car. I would like to go with a a set of supremes that are 15x7 or whatever size that will fit best. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2007, 02:57 AM

20x10" rims on the rear with disc brakes http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea..._gto_dyno.html

Old 01-26-2008, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Update...I recently pulled the 285 tires on 15 x 8 rally II off my car for bodywork. In the process of photographing the tires and measuring their section width to answer someone's questions, I found that I have been in error when saying the 15 x 8 rims have 5.50" backspacing. It is actually 5-3/8". Only 1/8" off, but if you had rims built to 5.50", they will be 1/8" closer to your frame rail than my application, which after trimming my wheelwell lips, perfectly centers the big tire with tight 1/2" clearance on either side.
I apologize for this oversight... I really could have sworn that back in 2004 I told Stockton wheel to make them 5.50"!

Old 04-16-2008, 04:03 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous Type
Has ANYONE done 10s in the rear?

Bon-evil is the only one ive seen with that wide of a tire.

A narrowed rearend and possibly frame modifications?
I think he did a mini tub to fit the tires.

May the torque be with you.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:43 AM

Default Tires for 66 Catalina

Hi, Im replacing my 14" steel rims with 15" ones. The tires i have on the car now are 215/75r14. I wanted to get something a little bigger and wider. I was thinking of 255/70 for he rear and 225/70 for the fronts. Anyone have any pictures of a fullsize pontiac with those size tires on it? Any help would be great. Thanks

Old 03-06-2009, 10:33 PM
Senior Chief

By the way, are they 15x6 or 15x7?

Old 03-07-2009, 01:01 AM

15X7

Old 03-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are 225 70s on my wagon. Sorry the Pic is not better. No longer have these on the car, so I could not take another one.

I also have 235 70s on the 63 if you'd like to see those.

13 Smiles per Gallon:
66 Bonneville wagon
66 Bonneville 2d HT - In perpetual progress
Old 03-08-2009, 08:53 PM

Thanks for the pic.