Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question VIN Locations

Is there another VIN location on my 78 Grand Am? Thieves ripped off the dash plate. Thanks -Jim

Old 11-11-2009, 02:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Could it be underneath the heater box, on the firewall, like some of the 2nd generation F-bodies?

Do you need it for extra verification for the DMV to re-tag it? I hope they aren't giving you a hastle.

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Could be being driven with altered VIN.
Bodywork on left rear quarter (near the tail light) would be a tip-off.
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009
(The thieves were driving, but my plate was clean.)
Old 11-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone else just mentioned the heater box location. No hassle's yet, but the form say's I need to furnish proof the VIN # is correct. I just want to be prepared. -Jim

Old 11-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Can the PD search the thieves home or garage? If they were dumb enough to use your plate maybe they left the vin in the top of their toolbox?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Frame, top of trunk rail?

Old 11-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Today I went to the tag office, they gave me 2 forms to fill out to get a replacement VIN. One had to be filled out by the Police, I went to the Police Dept and had an officer follow me to my shop. He would not fill out the form for the replacement VIN until I can show him a VIN!! Incredible. The reason I need the replacement is because the thieves ripped off my VIN!! Catch 22. I have looked all over the motor(original, I think) and can't find one. Anyone have any ideas? Is there one on the trans or somewhere else on the body? I can not find one on the frame. I am getting ready to pull the heater box and look at the firewall. *&^^@#$!!! thieves!!!! Thanks -Jim

Old 11-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Senior Chief

I've heard of the VIN being on top of the rear frame rail as well, but have never seen one. I've never seen the VIN anywhere other than on the dash.
Can the investigator that turned the car over to you verify that you reported this car missing?

Old 11-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jim, if it's the engine that was in there when I sold you the car, it is factory.
When I dropped the transmission pan about twenty years ago, I saw a 1983 casting date. Original owner had told me it was replaced.

Seems like there would be a partial VIN on the engine block, but maybe PMD discontinued that practice.

I wonder if you had a PHS and cross referenced the dates & option codes with the body tag, which shows build date, color code, and rare full vinyl top, would the police accept that as enough 'proof'?
Probably not likely, but just a thought.

Seeking recovery of my stolen 1988 Buick LeSabre T-type. Primary summer driver & Road Trip car.
Garnet Red with 2007 PENDOT inspection stickers on windshield. Had minor damage to left rear quarter & bumper. Last three of VIN: 301
Last seen by a patrol officer doing a routine plate check in Gary, Indiana, August 31, 2009

Last edited by Lightfoot; 11-13-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
Jim, if it's the engine that was in there when I sold you the car, it is factory.
When I dropped the transmission pan about twenty years ago, I saw a 1983 casting date. Original owner had told me it was replaced.

Seems like there would be a partial VIN on the engine block, but maybe PMD discontinued that practice.

I wonder if you had a PHS and cross referenced the dates & option codes with the body tag, which shows build date, color code, and rare full vinyl top, would the police accept that as enough 'proof'?
Hey Tom. It is still the same 301. I will go back to scrapping in the morning! Wish me luck. -Jim

Old 11-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Found it. Lots of PB Blaster and steel wool. Very tiny and under a lot of sludge but it is read-able. Thanks all. -Jim

Old 11-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Would a build sheet be acceptable?

You might get lucky and find one under the pass seat or behind the back seat. If they're not there, try droppping the fuel tank.

Shawn

Old 11-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 301Store View Post
Would a build sheet be acceptable?

You might get lucky and find one under the pass seat or behind the back seat. If they're not there, try droppping the fuel tank.
Shawn
IIRC, I found what was left of the build sheet under the back seat cushion a long time ago. It was very mutilated, and 75% of it was missing. I don't think I even saved that.

Glad you found the number on the engine, Jim. Another good retro reason you didn't put the 455 in it yet.
Tom

Old 11-14-2009, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
IIRC, I found what was left of the build sheet under the back seat cushion a long time ago. It was very mutilated, and 75% of it was missing. I don't think I even saved that.

Glad you found the number on the engine, Jim. Another good retro reason you didn't put the 455 in it yet.
Tom
God was watching over me! I had the 455 complete and sitting on the stand next to the car! -Jim