Old 12-01-2022, 11:44 PM
Senior Chief

Having run a fitech for 7 years your best bet today is a restomods tank from Ricks with a new AC Delco fuel pump that Ricks will regulate (or you can go with a Vaporworx PWM controller which I did).

Only use rubber PTFE hose, no return line or in line fuel filter is needed saving you money there, and the AC Delco fuel pump is way better than any pump on a stick (of which I and others have burned up time after time).

Last edited by 65madgoat; 12-02-2022 at 12:20 AM.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys for all your info and knowledge.
Before reading all of your posts, I thought the EFI would be a simple conversion from what I currently have. I appreciate the heads up on a full fuel system upgrade and the links to source the needed components.
I have dual exhaust - does that mean I need two exhaust sensors or do I need to x or h pipe the exhaust?

Old 12-02-2022, 02:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You can run with one ego sensor. With or without a crossover. Not sure if the Fitech or Sniper will even read two sensors or not. Others can probably shed some light on that.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

The FiTech and Sniper only look at a single oxygen sensor. Typically you would put this on one bank of the engine, as close to the cylinder head as you can, while seeing a mix of as many cylinders as possible.

You don't need to add an x-pipe or h-pipe to the car, and even if you did, those cross-overs are so far back from the cylinder heads that while you're seeing a mix of the entire engine, the sensor's resolution becomes poor and events in the combustion chamber are happening well ahead of the o2 seeing it.

I'm assuming you're running headers. If that's the case, pick either bank and put the sensor in the header collector. If you're running manifolds of some sort, put the oxygen sensor in the down pipe on one of the banks.

Fuel distribution is not typically an issue unless you have something very weird going with the intake manifold.

Old 12-02-2022, 02:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My 2 cents I have had a fitech go efi for about 6 yrs on my 78 trans am. Performance has been very good. Reliability not so much. My unit was a very early production model. I had issues with the connector’s and wiring on harness melting. Apparently they were undersized initially and that has been corrected on newer models. I had to cut the connectors and hard wire mine. Problem solved. I originally used their fuel command center and mounted it under the hood. I had 2 pumps fail so i switched to a tanks inc fuel tank with internal pump. This solved the fuel issue. Today i went to fire the car up after it has sat for about 3 months. Car fired up and imeadiatly died. Tried to start several times and it would fire off then die right away. After a call to fitech we have determined that the ECU is bad. My options are send it back and have them replace the ecu, order an ecu and install it myself or replace the entire unit. The least expensive option is me ordering and installing the ecu. Cost is around $250. I have less than 10k miles on the unit the car never sees rain and sit covered in a garage so it is not neglected. I am seriously considering going with the holley sniper. Fitech tech support has been very good to answer questions and diagnose issues I’ve experienced but i think i have spent enough time and $$ on this unit and it may be time to move on. FWIW

Old 12-02-2022, 02:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t7goat View Post
My 2 cents I have had a fitech go efi for about 6 yrs on my 78 trans am. Performance has been very good. Reliability not so much. My unit was a very early production model. I had issues with the connector’s and wiring on harness melting. Apparently they were undersized initially and that has been corrected on newer models. I had to cut the connectors and hard wire mine. Problem solved. I originally used their fuel command center and mounted it under the hood. I had 2 pumps fail so i switched to a tanks inc fuel tank with internal pump. This solved the fuel issue. Today i went to fire the car up after it has sat for about 3 months. Car fired up and imeadiatly died. Tried to start several times and it would fire off then die right away. After a call to fitech we have determined that the ECU is bad. My options are send it back and have them replace the ecu, order an ecu and install it myself or replace the entire unit. The least expensive option is me ordering and installing the ecu. Cost is around $250. I have less than 10k miles on the unit the car never sees rain and sit covered in a garage so it is not neglected. I am seriously considering going with the holley sniper. Fitech tech support has been very good to answer questions and diagnose issues I’ve experienced but i think i have spent enough time and $$ on this unit and it may be time to move on. FWIW
Since it sounds like you're already familiar with the wiring of the TB, you could switch to a Microsquirt and gain functionality:
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/ampd-microsquirt/
ETA: you would need an EGO controller as well, as MS doesn't internally handle EGO sensors. They take the information as an input and use it for correction, self correction or manual.

Last edited by Scott65; 12-02-2022 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had two FITech's. One 600 PA and the 1200 PA. Nothing but aggravation with both. I dropped back and punted. I went with Holley Terminator and way happier. I messed with those FITech's for four years. One day car would run good the next, not so much.

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 12-05-2022, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65madgoat View Post
Having run a fitech for 7 years your best bet today is a restomods tank from Ricks with a new AC Delco fuel pump that Ricks will regulate (or you can go with a Vaporworx PWM controller which I did).

Only use rubber PTFE hose, no return line or in line fuel filter is needed saving you money there, and the AC Delco fuel pump is way better than any pump on a stick (of which I and others have burned up time after time).
Posted for conversation and information sake for anyone reading,
I'm pretty sure Walbro was or has been the manufacture for the big 3 pumps. That AC Delco is most likely a Walbro.

What you have to be leery of are the claimed Walbro pumps all over the internet, there are a lot of counterfits out there for a lot less money that I wouldn't trust.
One other thing to consider is that some of these Walbro pumps are not rated for ethanol fuels while some are.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 12-05-2022, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Posted for conversation and information sake for anyone reading,
I'm pretty sure Walbro was or has been the manufacture for the big 3 pumps. That AC Delco is most likely a Walbro.

What you have to be leery of are the claimed Walbro pumps all over the internet, there are a lot of counterfits out there for a lot less money that I wouldn't trust.
One other thing to consider is that some of these Walbro pumps are not rated for ethanol fuels while some are.
This is correct. Genuine Walbro pumps are still good pumps. It's the counterfeit's you have to watch out for.

If you buy a frame mount pump from Holley, FiTech etc. it's likely got a china knock-off in it.

The old Walbro 255 which I run will not handle E85, but has been fine for me with the e10 stuff we have here in Colorado. I've got 7 years and about 30,000 miles of trouble free time on that pump. The only other consideration with that older pump is that you can not run it on PWM. Well, you can, but you'll burn it up quickly. It's designed to be run at near full steam at all times with a proper return line.

You have to step up to the 450 l/hr pump under part number F90000267 before you get a true E85 rated pump from Walbro. That said, the pumps you get from them today should be no issue with e10 fuels and should theoretically be fine for up to e15.

I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure most of the gasoline that went through my car's tank this past summer was e15. The stuff didn't smell at all like gasoline.

And yes, for what it's worth Walbro who is TI Automotive supplies pumps for OEM's. The Hellcat pumps are made by TI Automotive.

Old 12-05-2022, 12:43 PM
Senior Chief

The AC Delco pump I am referring has to do with the style - it is not a pump on a stick. It is a whole self regulated unit with superior pick up and filter etc

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-5717-g...uel-pump.aspx?

Old 12-05-2022, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used those bucket styles before. Usually in either an OEM tank or a custom tank made for that style. They work fine too.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE