Old 03-21-2000, 04:42 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this message board and I'm posting these questions for a friend how has a 1951 Pontiac with the straight 8. He and I need some advise on performing a rebuild of the engine, carb, etc. We have the engine and transmission out of the car, but we are having trouble separating the engine from the transmission/bell housing/torque converter. Any advise would be great.

We are also in need of a rebuild kit for the carbureator and an extra rebuild kit for the engine. We have a rebuild kit already for the engine, but would like to locate another one. As you can tell, we are novices at this. I know there is probably information such as engine serial number and the car model that I did not include. At this time I don't have this information since he car is a few hours away from me. I'll get this info if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

James West

------------------
James B. West

Old 03-21-2000, 04:42 PM

Hello,

I'm new to this message board and I'm posting these questions for a friend how has a 1951 Pontiac with the straight 8. He and I need some advise on performing a rebuild of the engine, carb, etc. We have the engine and transmission out of the car, but we are having trouble separating the engine from the transmission/bell housing/torque converter. Any advise would be great.

We are also in need of a rebuild kit for the carbureator and an extra rebuild kit for the engine. We have a rebuild kit already for the engine, but would like to locate another one. As you can tell, we are novices at this. I know there is probably information such as engine serial number and the car model that I did not include. At this time I don't have this information since he car is a few hours away from me. I'll get this info if needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

James West

------------------
James B. West

Old 03-21-2000, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To seperate the motor from the trans,take the lower tin cover off,rotate the torus cover
(converter)until the drain plug is on the bottom,drain it out,than take off the 32 bolts holding the torus to the flywheel.The torus may be stuck to the flywheel,so you may have to drive a screwdriver between the lywheel and torus.Than remove the bellhousing bolts and pull back.
As far as the carb kit goes,get a Hemmings Motor News,you should be able to find someone near you.